Bubbling Mess

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I am venturing into the world of creating my own recipes. I've done research and I used a lye calculator etc. So I got my oils melted, I made sure that my lye/water solution was down to temp but when I poured in not even half of the lye solution the oils bubbled BIG time. It got all over my stove and everything. The only things I can think of were I didn't factor in enough water for my lye, the oils were still too hot.....Anyone ever have this happen and know why? :confused:

What was your full recipe?

Just out of curiosity why was it on your stove?

The recipe I put together was
4.78 oz Olive Oil
1.62 oz Sweet Almond Oil
2.46 oz Shea Butter
4 oz Coconut Oil
3.14 Palm Oil
2.24 oz Lye
5.28 oz Distilled Water

It was on my stove because I mixed it into the pan that I melted my oils in.

SF = Superfat. This the the amount of unsaponified oil built into your recipe. Many lye calculators defaults it to 5%.

I ran your recipe in SoapCalc and it looks like you went with 5%.

ETA: Sonya beat me to it. :)

Just ran your recipe through soapcalc and no issues there

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443738558.997413.jpg

What sort of container were your oils in? I know you say you'd got to the temp you wanted but what was that? Could the container have been much hotter than your oils from being heated to melt the oils?

Was the pot you used stainless steel? If not, that's probably why... Lye has a reaction to metals other than stainless that causes soap batter to boil and bubble.

Oh yes! I do now what that is lol. It was 4%. I've never done superfatting before since I've only used recipes from a book up until now. I actually used the calculator on Bramble Berry.

Ooo I like that soap calc. Maybe I'll use that after this, Bramble Berry's doesn't give as much info.

I put it in a stainless steel pot, it might not have been cooled down enough. I cooled the lye solution to 110 degrees F. I've never measured the heat of my oils before, that'd probably be a good idea after this.

I never measure the temperature of anything. I soap really hot, and I have never had it bubble like that.

Are you sure that pot was stainless steel? And how big was it?

I've never had an issue with it before, it's the pot I normally mix things in. I'd say it's probably at least 3 quarts

Latest posts

Back