Bubble wrapping milk soap bad idea?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Groves

Reaction score
I am making a honey scented soap and would like to have a honeycomb effect so I was thinking of lining my mild with bubble wrap. Will this be successful with milk soap? It's so soft and I wasn't sure if it would stick to the plastic and become a mushy mess when unmolding. I tend to only have success with smooth molds but I probably just need to wait longer on the texture molds? Would adding beeswax help? I do add 2.5 teaspoons of sodium lactate but maybe a wax or hard butter would help for this?
I use

14 oz olive oil
11 oz lard
11 oz coconut oil
2 oz castor oil 12.3 oz goatsmilk
5.5 lye

Maybe adding some wax or coco butter...I have some shea on hand.

Wait longer to unmold it will be fine. If your milk soap is so soft that it dents when you unmold you probably aren't waiting long enough anyways.

For some reason I only have difficulty unmolding with textured molds. My loaf molds are perfect. I plan on pouring glycerin on each bar for a honey effect after they are cured and have shrank down. I have been contemplating on this and was told it was best to wait til they have cured to pour the glycerin on the CP soap. I suppose this will be an experiment. If the glycerin doesn't work. I'd like the honeycomb effect.

For some reason I only have difficulty unmolding with textured molds. My loaf molds are perfect. I plan on pouring glycerin on each bar for a honey effect after they are cured and have shrank down. I have been contemplating on this and was told it was best to wait til they have cured to pour the glycerin on the CP soap. I suppose this will be an experiment. If the glycerin doesn't work. I'd like the honeycomb effect.
Have you tried putting them in the freezer for about an hour, and then letting them sit out at room temp for about 10 minutes? That's what I have to do with detailed or textured molds, and it works really well due to the condensation that is created from the cold soap meeting the warmer air.

Did you mean you are going to pour glycerin soap on your bars (as in melt and pour?). Just checking, as I think glycerin would make a big mess.

I make a honey soap with goat's milk and it comes out fine. I line the entire mold with bubble wrap, one strip covering the bottom and ends lengthwise, and an overlapping wide piece that covers the bottom (so the bubble wrap is doubled there) and up the long sides. After pouring the soap, I press another piece cut to the exact size of the top so I get the design on all sides.

I let my oatmeal milk and honey soap sit with the bubble wrap on it for about 4 days before I take it off.
Oh my! I make an Oatmeal Milk & Honey soap, 5 lb. batch. I use salt or SL. I use half water and half goat milk for liquid. I line the bottom with bubble wrap. It sits on the counter uncovered for between 14 to 18 hrs. and comes out very firm.

Latest posts

Back