Bubble Scoopers - I need your help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made bubble bars in my moon cake press. I have all the supplies and decided I want to just make some bubble scoops - it seems they will be faster which is what I need in my life right now. My question to you who make bubble scoops is: I want them to be the right size for a one bath use. What size scoop should I use? Is the small scoop too small? Is the medium scoop too big? If you could give me a rough idea of the diameter size, I'd really appreciate it - I think I want to package several together somehow and am trying to figure it all out.

My scoops are about 1.25 oz or about 1.75-2" across at the base. I find they're just the right size for a single bath, depending on the size of the tub. I use the second to smallest scoop that I could find. I have the smaller one but it's almost too small.

My scoops are about 1.25 oz or about 1.75-2" across at the base. I find they're just the right size for a single bath, depending on the size of the tub. I use the second to smallest scoop that I could find. I have the smaller one but it's almost too small.
Thank you Misschief!

I use a 1 oz scoop - the Pampered chef small size, slightly bigger in diameter than a quarter. (I have no idea on the inches diameter and I'm too lazy to go check the Pampered chef website.) If you're using the Two Hares recipe, 1 oz is perfect for one bath.

I've made bubble bars in my moon cake press. I have all the supplies and decided I want to just make some bubble scoops - it seems they will be faster which is what I need in my life right now. My question to you who make bubble scoops is: I want them to be the right size for a one bath use. What size scoop should I use? Is the small scoop too small? Is the medium scoop too big? If you could give me a rough idea of the diameter size, I'd really appreciate it - I think I want to package several together somehow and am trying to figure it all out.
I have a question for you, dibbles. I've wanted to do the reverse, make bubble bars in a moon cake press. What size press did you use and how did they come out? Did you have any difficulty getting them to release? Did you sprinkle the mold with anything to help with releasing them?

I have a question for you, dibbles. I've wanted to do the reverse, make bubble bars in a moon cake press. What size press did you use and how did they come out? Did you have any difficulty getting them to release? Did you sprinkle the mold with anything to help with releasing them?
I do sprinkle the inside with baking soda before I start and as needed while pressing. I also keep some baking soda on a plate and press the plate into it before each bubble bar. I roll the dough into a ball that will fit in the press and sprinkle a small (very light sprinkle) of baking soda on the side I put toward the plate. I do my bubble bars in pastel colors, so the baking soda doesn't really seem to show. I don't know about a darker or brighter color, but I feel like it brushes off pretty easily when they dry. I use my 50 gram press and it isn't filled all the way - I used somewhere around 60 grams of dough for each one. If the first one sticks horribly, just wait a short bit of time and it seems to dry out enough to use fairly quickly, or knead in a little extra baking soda.

I have a different question but decided not to start a new thread. As most of you now I new to the bubble scoops and I am using wild Hares recipe after trying 3 other recipes a couple of months ago. I made 4 batches today and batch 1 and 2 are to wet so does anyone have any great ideas how to accelerate drying of the scoops.

cmzaha, I had to cut the glycerin wayyyy down. If you are following her receipe as written, I end up using 85-90 grams (in my case I measure in oz so it's 3oz) of glycerin. I'm also using her kit which has the tapioca starch instead of cornstarch, in her instructions she says you may have to tweak the glycerin amounts. I'm also new and decided I wasn't going to waste time/money experimenting when others have done the work for me which is why I started with the kit LOL.

I'm actually trying to find a better quality scoop, but having trouble finding the size. The one I first got (generic) makes 1 oz scoops and is about an inch across-perfect size for one bath. I'm packing multiple scoops but this way there's not crumbling up of bars. I've ordered three different ones that I thought were the right size and now I'm looking for #4 LOL.

Fine print: Before anyone asks, not sharing the recipe- go buy it-spend $20 at twowildhares support a fellow small business and save yourself a ton of time and money.

I too start with around 90 grams of glycerin. I do let my bars dry for several days before wrapping, and I turn them over every day to let them dry from both sides.

I find I have to use more glycerin. I'm using as much as 120 gms some days. I start with the minimum in the recipe and add it by drops. That said, it depends on the weather here. As for drying, I find that I can make them on a Saturday morning and they'll be fine for my Sunday market. Perhaps a fan would help speed up the process.

The one's I made prior to these when I was testing 4 recipes they were still damp after several weeks, with fans and even putting them in my dehydrator:eek:. The batch that came out the wettest this time was still less glycerin that the first batch I tried. I am thinking I am going to tweak the COT and see if they harden up better.

Two Wild Hares has the recipe for $17.95 right now

The one's I made prior to these when I was testing 4 recipes they were still damp after several weeks, with fans and even putting them in my dehydrator:eek:. The batch that came out the wettest this time was still less glycerin that the first batch I tried. I am thinking I am going to tweak the COT and see if they harden up better.

Two Wild Hares has the recipe for $17.95 right now

Ok, specifically how much less glycerin? Are you using close to what myself and Dibbles are using?
Mine cure in an airconditioned (set at 75) and dehumidified (at 50%) room, but in two days they are hard.

Hrmmmmmm are you sure your scale is accurate? Any other deviations from the recipe? Oh, and are you using wet or dry colorant? If wet, you may have to go even lower with glycerin or a little higher with COT-those drops add up moisture wise!

I use 100g glycerine in mine. I have used less in cases where I attempted to use vanilla stabilizer (don't, just don't. Stick with FO's that don't discolor.) but I have never had to use more. Mine are usually hard in 24 hours. How much glycerine are you using? Are you mixing all of the liquid parts until it turns to a gel consistency? It seems weird, but I have had problems getting the recipe to work when I don't get it to a gel consistency.

I use 100g glycerine in mine. I have used less in cases where I attempted to use vanilla stabilizer (don't, just don't. Stick with FO's that don't discolor.) but I have never had to use more. Mine are usually hard in 24 hours. How much glycerine are you using? Are you mixing all of the liquid parts until it turns to a gel consistency? It seems weird, but I have had problems getting the recipe to work when I don't get it to a gel consistency.

AH-that's another good point, she's not kidding about mixing the liquids together! I didn't once and it just didn't want to work right, although since it was all for me I didn't check the hardness.

Latest posts

Back