Bubble Bath!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinyspoon

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I am wanting to make a natural bubble bath that doesn't suck..

I found Rocky Mountain Soap Co make a great natural bubble bath with the following ingredients and was wondering if anyone know what amounts I should use of each when trying to recreate.
  1. Water
  2. Coco Glucoside
  3. Coco-Betaine
  4. Glycerin
  5. Lactic Acid
Thank you for any help possible!

Coco Glucoside 15%-30%
Cocamidopropyl Betaine 6%
Glycerin 1%-2%
Lactic Acid 1 - 5%
Glycerin 1%
Water--the amount left by deducting a total of the percentages used from 100%

You will also need a good preservative. I use liquid Germall Plus. Recommended amount 0.1% – 0.5%

Lactic Acid would only be used for pH adjustment. So you will need to make your sample and then test it with a pH meter and adjust the pH by adding small amounts of lactic acid to reach your desired pH (5.5?).

I would also look around at different surfactants because Coco glucoside is not a very high foaming surfactant.

The closest thing I can get to for a natural bath without preservatives and other junk is just mainly coco glucoside (pushing the envelope on 'natural' there) along with some essential oils and maybe a touch of glycerin. Bubbles up well enough for the kiddos.

Lactic Acid would only be used for pH adjustment. So you will need to make your sample and then test it with a pH meter and adjust the pH by adding small amounts of lactic acid to reach your desired pH (5.5?).

I would also look around at different surfactants because Coco glucoside is not a very high foaming surfactant.
what other natural surfactants would you reccomend?

" Lactic acid is used to exfoliate the skin, lighten dark spots, and improve the look of fine lines and wrinkles. " It is not used exclusively to adjust pH.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/lactic-acid-skin-care-4178819

@lsg I am aware that Lactic acid has other functions (it can also be used as a disinfectant) but in this particular product it would only be used at low levels as a pH adjuster.

@tinyspoon The other surfactants you could use depends on your definition of natural. Sodium Coco Sulfate (SCS), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA), Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, or C14-16 olefin sulfonate are all possibilities.

@lsg I am aware that Lactic acid has other functions (it can also be used as a disinfectant) but in this particular product it would only be used at low levels as a pH adjuster.

@tinyspoon The other surfactants you could use depends on your definition of natural. Sodium Coco Sulfate (SCS), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA), Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, or C14-16 olefin sulfonate are all possibilities.
Thank you for your help! Can you class Sodium Coco Sulfate (SCS), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA), Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, or C14-16 olefin sulfonate as natural though?

Thank you for your help! Can you class Sodium Coco Sulfate (SCS), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA), Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, or C14-16 olefin sulfonate as natural though?
It would really depend on what you mean by 'natural'. It's not like you would come across some coco betaine when walking in the forest....

Curious.
The Rocky Mountain Soap Recipe does not list any preservative so does that mean they do not use any?

Coco Glucoside 15%-30%
Cocamidopropyl Betaine 6%
Glycerin 1%-2%
Lactic Acid 1 - 5%
Glycerin 1%
Water--the amount left by deducting a total of the percentages used from 100%
You will also need a good preservative. I use liquid Germall Plus. Recommended amount 0.1% – 0.5%

Latest posts

Back