Bubble bar vs. Bath bomb

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between a bubble bar and a bath bomb?

Last edited:
I'm sorry for creating duplicate thread. I posted my question under the thread titled Bath Bomb recipe .

My understanding is that a bubble bar is crumbled into the running bath water, and makes a tub filled with bubbles (like a bubble bath). I've never made or used them, but it's on my list. A bath bomb is dropped into the bathwater and fizzles, releasing the oils, EO or fragrance. At least that's how the ones I've made and used worked. No bubbles. Although I believe some people make foaming bath bombs - I just haven't, nor have I ever used one.

I make really hideous bubble bars (I really need to up my game with them - they have so many possibilities). They work exactly like Dibbles said. You crumble them under running water to make bubbles.

Here's a good video on them showing much prettier ones than my sad, sad swirled disasters... [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfRD-0R8HAY[/ame]

Could the bubble bar 'dough' be pressed (smooshed) into a cavity mold? I don't care if they are multi-colored. I'm wondering about a guest size mold. But then, there is the unmolding problem. Just thinking...

Can someone explain the difference between a bubble bar and a bath bomb?

I'm pretty sure your question has been answered but I'd like to answer it a bit differently.

To me the main difference (besides appearance) is the inclusion of SLS or SLSA. A bubble bar gets the sustained fluffy baffles from the SLSA I've seen in just about every recipe while a bath bomb doesn't need the SLSA (though some people include it).

If I'm remembering right, SLSA is a detergent and I find it dries out my skin. In all my research it's main/only use is to make those big fluffy bubbles. Most bubble bar recipes I've seen start with: cornstarch, SLSA, citric acid, and baking soda. Bath bombs are citric acid and baking soda but might include the other ingredients.

Science stuff aside (not my strong suit and someone else may drop in to explain it)... Bubble bars - lots of bubble made with SLSA. Bath bombs - short fizzy bubbles that doesn't really need SLSA.

I would like to try to come up with something that is a cross between the two of them. I'd like to make some sort of bath product that they could drop in that will fizz and produce Bubbles and scent and maybe have a little oil for the skin maybe some shea butter to bind it, you know I'm thinking that maybe it would be great to have something that would give the best of both worlds.
can anyone suggest a good recipe?

Guessing here...

I believe it can stain. Also, they tend to fade and contain water that sets off premature fizzing.

ETA: Shunt beat me to it! :)

Thanks. Seems to me that if you can ingest it, it should be pretty safe on skin but I get why you wouldn't want to use it with products you're selling. I would probably use the Wilton gel coloring to avoid adding excess liquids.

I make bath bombs with SLSA. I use cocoa butter to bind it all together. I use a guest size decprative soap molds as I cannot for the life of me get a round bath bomb.

Those panada bears are too cute! I'm going to have to play with making those for the grand kids. They love bath bombs, but this will put them over the top. How do you think she did the little mouths? Paint it on?

I make bath bombs with SLSA. I use cocoa butter to bind it all together. I use a guest size decprative soap molds as I cannot for the life of me get a round bath bomb.

The best way I've found to unmolding is from the round plastic Christmas ornaments... Squeeze the heck out of the mold for about 30 seconds. Tap the top and then tap all around with the side of a spoon. Lots of tapping. Then flip the mold over and repeat - tapping from top to bottom. Lightly push in on the seam of the mold to break the air seal. Remove top. Gingerly turn over the mold so the bomb is resting in hand and remove the other part of the mold.

After using a mold, I use a paper towel to wipe out any residual material that might be clinging inside. Leaving those bits can make the next one stick. I've also tried rubbing some cyclomethicone into the mold before getting started, but so long as I keep cleaning out the mold between uses, I'm fine.

That's why I like the plastic molds... I can unmold the entire thing at once, and it has more give than the stainless steel ones. Meatballers tend to stick or break in half on me. The stainless steel ones have to be half unmolded and then left to dry before removing the other half or I get crumbling. I do end up cracking a plastic mold after a few batches - but they are pretty cheap.

Back