Brush Cleaning Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeitsashley

Reaction score
I have now seen a few companies that are offering makeup brush cleansers. Which has me intrigued seeing as how they are CP. What is everyone's thoughts on makeup brush cleaners that are CP? What sort of recipe would be ideal?

Liquid soap is what is recommended for cleaning makeup brushes; baby shampoo, liquid castile soap or dish washing liquid soap, to be precise.

I have seen bar soap for cleaning artist's paint brushes, but I've never used it myself.Brushes tend to fall apart if not treated gently and I think bar soap would temp the user to be too rough with the brush. But then maybe make-up brushes are made more sturdily than paint brushes.

After all shaving brushes certainly seem to take a beating.

Funny you should mention this, one of my testers came to me a couple of weeks ago and said that my bar soap was the best makeup brushes cleaning soap she had ever seen. I sent some 100% CO liquid soap to her to try. She liked that even better. I don't wear makeup, so this was a use I had never imagined.

you can make cp soap and call it brush cleaner but you are going to ruin them. I use my face wash to clean my make up brushes or my painting brushes too

I use my CP soap for brush cleaning and have for years. It works great. I don't scrub them, I just gently work some soap into them and soak for a little bit then rinse and airdry. My brushes are 10 or more years old. They were really expensive so I take good care of them. My CP soap is gentler than the cleaners that were used to clean them when my mom owned her hair salon 20 years ago.

Shunt2011 I hope you don't mind me asking what percentage is your usual superfat? As a side note I would think that a low to mid cleansing number would be ideal as to not be over cleansing.

Back