Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AliOop, I missed your comment about using a snap together mold - now that IS genius! And dibbles, I want to do this too... maybe a future soap challenge idea? I wonder how difficult it would be to DIY a round mold. Like, if one could split a PVC pipe, could we piece it back together for the second round pour without it leaking? Hmmm.... I must make time to play with this.... and see if Amazon carries the patience I will need to purchase to do it... :p
I think a Pringles can would be easier. They are cheap, and one could be cut in half and one could be left whole to place the sculpted part and then pour new soap in with it to make a round. The problem is the size - they are pretty big for a loaf mold.

edit to add: also, how hard is it to cut a PVC pipe in half lengthwise? I couldn't do it.

duct-tape free solution ;)

take the sculpted landscape out of the half pipe
pour the dark sky with the moon embed into the now empty half pipe
put the sculpted land embed upside down on top of the sky pour to make the round
Great idea! the only issue I see with that is when you press the sculpted embed down, you will have some soap overflow since one would almost have to overfill it to ensure no air pockets after pressing in the sculpted part. But as long as you planned for that overflow, it should work.

edit to add: also, how hard is it to cut a PVC pipe in half lengthwise? I couldn't do it.
Pretty easy if the person has any construction skills. My husband could do it in a minute. Me, I'd lose a hand (or my religion) just trying.

Pretty easy if the person has any construction skills. My husband could do it in a minute. Me, I'd lose a hand (or my religion) just trying.
Which would be a concern for a challenge technique. If someone didn't have the tools and skill to cut PVC, there would have to be a good alternative way to achieve the result. I have a silicone column mold that comes apart, but not everyone does. @amd

Which would be a concern for a challenge technique. If someone didn't have the tools and skill to cut PVC, there would have to be a good alternative way to achieve the result. I have a silicone column mold that comes apart, but not everyone does. @amd
Excellent point! Not everyone has the mold OR a handy partner ;)

Perhaps a Pringles can would be the solution. Or perhaps the challenge could be more general, just something to do with embeds?

take the sculpted landscape out of the half pipe
pour the dark sky with the moon embed into the now empty half pipe
My first thought was to actually slide the landscape into a regular pvc pipe, but I think the idea of not having to move or shift that piece around is much better. I don't trust that I could get the landscape side pressed tightly against the mold to prevent leakage around it as I poured the sky. I would also be concerned about air pockets doing the "flop" method.... I just see it as being a huge mess for my clumsy self. I really think building the mold around it is the most foolproof way to do it.

how hard is it to cut a PVC pipe in half lengthwise?
I'd have to ask my husband as I'm not allowed to play with power tools... I do know that cutting the PVC pipe to length is painless (for my husband, I'd lose a hand and a leg if I tried it I'm sure). And I'm sure if I bribed him with steak and beer he would split one for me regardless of how difficult it was... but I'm not loaning out my husband to do it for everyone :D But I think you're onto something using a pringles can, those are easily accessible to most and could be cut with a scissors, except for the bottom, we'd have to rig that up. I'm also thinking "does it have to be round" - I have a smaller whipping cream carton in my stash that I have been saving for making a square rimmed soap (that I'm honestly never going to do, ha!), although I'll still have one end I'll need to figure out how to make leakproof. I need a week off work and a clear schedule...

Did y'all see this one??? 😍 by @l_kantarova on IG.

l_kantorova soap challenge.jpeg

@TashaBird ETA: I had her name spelled wrong, doh! I tagged you in the post, and here is the IG link to that soap: l_kantorova landscape soap

The raindrop technique is called mini-drop swirls. Tree Marie Soapworks has some good videos on that. You can also join SoapChallengeClub.com to get access to the tutorials, or to participate in their monthly challenges. The soap pic from l_kantorova is her entry for the August 2020 challenge.

Last edited:
@TashaBird ETA: I had her name spelled wrong, doh! I tagged you in the post, and here is the IG link to that soap: l_kantorova landscape soap

The raindrop technique is called mini-drop swirls. Tree Marie Soapworks has some good videos on that. You can also join SoapChallengeClub.com to get access to the tutorials, or to participate in their monthly challenges. The soap pic from l_kantorova is her entry for the August 2020 challenge.
I need raindrops.

Is there a different thread for non soap pics that inspire me to make soap?
Not that I know of - start it! That pic is gorgeous, and I think would be easy to do. An ITPS placed in the pot and poured in a certain way would get you the water I think, add in a round column embed and black sky. You could stamp the boat or carve it into the face after cutting the soap to keep that part simple.

Back