Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@The_Emerald_Chicken She called it a design scale on her Instagram - here's a video she made of another soap she made using this technique.

That is incredible soap!! Thanks so much for sharing the video, @dibbles . Someday when I'm feeling brave I may tackle that design :rolleyes:

By La Jolla Soap Company
La Jolla Soap Company.JPG

I saw that one on instagram.. It's amazing, I can't even begin to imagine how she made something this perfect!
I know! She makes the most amazing soaps, but this one 😍. I wonder if she made the design in a loaf and then used a cookie cutter to create an embed, or possibly used the inlaid design technique by first making the black and moon and then carving out the rest of the design. Maybe small cavity molds? Somehow dividing off a cylinder mold? It's gorgeous, though, and probably more work than I'd ever think about doing.

I know! She makes the most amazing soaps, but this one 😍. I wonder if she made the design in a loaf and then used a cookie cutter to create an embed, or possibly used the inlaid design technique by first making the black and moon and then carving out the rest of the design. Maybe small cavity molds? Somehow dividing off a cylinder mold? It's gorgeous, though, and probably more work than I'd ever think about doing.

The round landscape seems to have been pushed into the speckled part on the side. I imagine she might have poured a (sculptured) layer of speckles and put in an embed (sideways). If you look at the other soap in the background it seems to be the other side of the cut, being a perfect mirror of the front soap, so my money is on an embed, but how on earth did she get an embed to look like that!! I really like your cookie cutter idea..

If I can throw this out there... maybe the center embed is made in several different processes. I think perhaps using only half of a pvc pipe (cut the long way so it is more like a trough) would allow a soap maker to sculpt and layer the bottom portion of the round embed, so where the landscaping is. Make a smaller cylinder embed for the moon, and then slide the half circle embed and the moon embed into a regular pvc pipe or round column mold and pour the darker sky color around the embeds. After that it's pretty easy to pour the bottom bar layer, use a scraping tool to form the "waves", place the round embed once the first layer has setup thick enough to support it, and then pour the remainder of the soap around it.

A lot of little steps, but this would be how I would tackle making a soap like this.

@amd, that is genius! I guess for those first steps you listed, she could have used used the kind of cylinder mold that snaps together in two halves. So she could have used one half as the "trough." After it hardened, then she could have snapped it together with the other half, placed the moon embed, and poured the sky. However she did it, this took patience and some mad skills.

The more I think about it, using half of a silicone column mold and sculpting the layers makes the most sense. I want to try this and I don’t want to try this all at the same time. This is one of my all time favorite soaps I’ve ever seen.

If I can throw this out there... maybe the center embed is made in several different processes. I think perhaps using only half of a pvc pipe (cut the long way so it is more like a trough) would allow a soap maker to sculpt and layer the bottom portion of the round embed, so where the landscaping is. Make a smaller cylinder embed for the moon, and then slide the half circle embed and the moon embed into a regular pvc pipe or round column mold and pour the darker sky color around the embeds. After that it's pretty easy to pour the bottom bar layer, use a scraping tool to form the "waves", place the round embed once the first layer has setup thick enough to support it, and then pour the remainder of the soap around it.

A lot of little steps, but this would be how I would tackle making a soap like this.
amd i like your halfpipe idea

the sculpted landscape could be put upside down on top of the dark sky pour

dibbles thank you
stunning!

https://soapsandra.blogspot.com/2020/04/schwedische-eiweissseife-milchlinge.html#moreSandras smooth sheeps milk soap
soapsandra blogspot 20200412_170204.jpg

*shortened

Last edited:
she could have used used the kind of cylinder mold that snaps together in two halves.
I want to try this and I don’t want to try this all at the same time.
AliOop, I missed your comment about using a snap together mold - now that IS genius! And dibbles, I want to do this too... maybe a future soap challenge idea? I wonder how difficult it would be to DIY a round mold. Like, if one could split a PVC pipe, could we piece it back together for the second round pour without it leaking? Hmmm.... I must make time to play with this.... and see if Amazon carries the patience I will need to purchase to do it... :p

duct-tape free solution ;)

take the sculpted landscape out of the half pipe
pour the dark sky with the moon embed into the now empty half pipe
put the sculpted land embed upside down on top of the sky pour to make the round

Back