Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have an Exacto knife (somewhere), and should give that a try, but with my old Dupuytren's hands, I find it difficult to work with thinner tools. I need thicker tools, probably thicker than the wooden handled one this gentleman uses, in fact. Another reason I want to get a feel for the tool before purchase. Amazon has some ergonomic Xacto knives from which to choose. I may try one of them. Thanks for the idea, navigator9.

Love the translucency and the color combo.

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 11.24.50 PM.jpg

This just illustrates how subjective names are. I actually love this. "[Off on a wild hare" is an idiomatic expression here meaning to chase a crazy idea or go off on an unexpected tangent]. I assume that the expression is inspired by either the manner in which a rabbit/hare zig-zags from a threat, or the ridiculous route the poor predator takes trying to snag the thing. My interpretation was that either the business or the soaping inspirations were unpredictable and that there were two partners involved.

That explanation makes sense!

Where do you come from that has that expression?

The mossy creek one was lovely. Playing with glycerine rivers really adds interest there. Lovely delicate colours.

Last edited:
I know we generally complain about crackle but there are times it really adds an excellent look to the soap.

I love how this simple detail of the peak makes the soap even more interesting.

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 5.17.29 PM.jpg

Very cool. My guess is that she used a technique very similar to Veronica's gradient pour but instead she used contrasting and distinct colors- basing this on the shape of the colors from the sides. Any other guesses?

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 5.19.24 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you come from that has that expression?

I am in Texas, but this idiomatic expression is fairly common across the United States. Given that this forum has a global membership, I thought it was possible that many would not be aware of the reference. Names are so subjective regardless. I foster animals through a local shelter and am always amazed at the difference the name makes in the applicants for a particular animal.

il_570xN.1057577255_nnww.jpg

I finally made something I think is worthy of the "Browsing Soap Pics" thread. The original idea was based off of a Soap Queen tutorial I watched a while back.

Ideas how they got this combed look in discrete patches?

Maybe using one of those tiny little back-scratching tools to create the finger-shaped swirls in randomly the randomly placed pours. Solid pour of the base, then random (or planned) pour of each of the different colors (or filling small PVC pipes, then removing them), then the little finger swirls.

il_570xN.1057577255_nnww.jpg

I finally made something I think is worthy of the "Browsing Soap Pics" thread. The original idea was based off of a Soap Queen tutorial I watched a while back.

You made this?? Awesome! I've shown my boys pictures of geode soap before and they were amazed by it!

Newby,
The soap in 1891 has partially gelled and has ash doesn't it? One of my early castiles looked like that and it eventually caved in in the middle a bit over almost a year.

If that was being sold would people mind that?

Last edited:
To me that looks like a kind of tone-on-tone swirl with pearly white or silver mica dusted on the top. I'm viewing on my phone though rather than a larger screen. Very elegant looking either way.

I agree about the tone on tone; that was done purposefully. It's possible gel didn't reach the edges and I can't tell on that for sure. Whether it's ash or mica on top, it still looks great. Ash can add a fantastic effect at times, and I don't think buyers mind it at all.

What a striking top! I don't believe in not using soap, but even I might be hard pressed to lather up with this.

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 3.25.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 3.25.20 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back