Brown Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookworm

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful sharers,
My soap has brown spots. I'm thinking it's the fragrance. I'm also noticing that it's turning brown along the outer edges, which I have experienced before, and the entire soap eventually turned brown. But these brown spots are a first for me.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• PXL_20220217_221909801.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220217_221909801.MP.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 55
Hello all you wonderful sharers,
My soap has brown spots. I'm thinking it's the fragrance. I'm also noticing that it's turning brown along the outer edges, which I have experienced before, and the entire soap eventually turned brown. But these brown spots are a first for me.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you so much.
We really need to know your recipe, including any and all additives, before we can even guess what's going on.

As @Misschief says, your recipe will be helpful because you could be dealing with 1 or more problems. Sometimes a single problem has multiple origins of the cause.

It could be your FO but the brown spots doesn't necessarily align with the FO being the problem. There are other things that could cause the spots.

And when including your recipe and additives, the name of the FO and where you got it from would also be helpful.
Thank you all for the feedback.

I actually master batched my oils. I posted some pics of my soaps from this batch on another thread, which are fine.
However, one other soap (i have not posted that pic) has the same thing, which I noticed a few days after my original post above.

In a nutshell : I made 12 types of soap from this master batch of oils, of which 2 have the spots. (both fragrances from different suppliers)

I did not master batch lye solution.

Recipe is 33% lye concentration
30 % OO
20% Palm
15 % Coconut Oil
5% PKO
5% Cocoa Butter
10% Shea
5% Sweet Almond Oil
5% RBO
5% castor

The distilled water is mixed with aloe powder (200x) per ratio.

Sodium gluconate .5% of total batch weight.

I have used the recipe for at least 25 bars before.

Fragrance is Butt Naked , I do not know the original supplier, it was purchased from a local company which imports from the US.
The other soap (not pictured) is a pineapple scent from a local supplier.

Thank you so much in advance for all your input.

The rind around the edge and the soap turning brown are almost definitely from the vanillin content in your FO. Some FOs discolor even without vanillin - always good to check reviews.

If the brown spots are not also vanillin, they could be from unmixed FO, unmixed micas, or the 200x aloe vera powder. Not sure how much of the AV powder you used, but it can definitely create clumpy spots, too.

Oh my goodness, I need a hard kick on my NAKEDBUTT! I didn't see the label clearly, it said 7.6% vanillin.
Thank you , all of you for your never ending patience with silly me and all the above input.

I am so done with Vanillin.
2022 my plan is to avoid all FO containing vanillin like the plague, and misbehaving ones too. I am going to listen to all your advice and CAREFULLY READ reviews and information.

I'm too hasty sometimes, especially when items are on sale.:rolleyes:

It was such a great pleasure to buy from Nurture Soap, the website actually offers the options of filtering for acceleration/discolouration/perfect performance.
Not only that, the actual bottle label states this information too & usage rates. (Which I have not found on local supplier packaging).

I have decided to label each bottle now with a 'V' (vanillin) or 'A' (accelerates).

One day, I will try @Todd Ziegler's or @The Gecko's antidote for vanillin discolouration. Thank you very much for sharing.

@AliOop :
Aloe, I use 5g per litre of water, shake the bottle vigorously and leave for an hour at least for bubbles to dissipate. I also stick blend lye mixture to remove clumps.
I will most definitely monitor how well I mix in F/O & micas now.

Have a lovely day all you lovely and amazing folk.

Back