:( brown spots on soap and Q about SF

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephswan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been happily making soap these past few weeks with no issues - until I used a FO with vanilla (8%) in it. I knew it would turn brown but I thought if I used enough TD (I actually thought I would see glycerin rivers bc I thought I used too much TD), it would still be a pretty color. When I first cut the bars, everything was dandy, but 24 hours after the cut, I am seeing random brown spots all over. Is this normal? Will these spots just grow and eventually turn the whole soap this color? (I'm fine with that). Or is this the dreaded DOS (although I feel like it's too early for it). You can see the original cut and how it looks like now in the photos. It smells normal (coconut coast from nature's garden).

It is currently curing on a wax paper lined cookie cooling rack and none of the bars are touching the metal. I used a 16 oz silicone mold that I've been using this entire time and soaped at 117 degrees oil and 109 degrees lye.

My other question is regarding SF and soap scum. I have been SF-ing at 5% because that's just what I assumed was a safe place to start, but now that I'm reading more about SF, I'm realizing it can create soap scum with hard water and that's what we have here in NYC and at our tiny home in the catskill mountains. I'm not so concerned about NYC, bc I can just use drain cleaner, but in our tiny home, we have a cesspool (house was built in the 50's), and we are very cautious of what we put down the drain. How quickly would I know that my soap is clogging the drain? I'm going to test my recipes all again at 3% SF so I can test the difference in the way my skin feels (but i'm going to need to wait until 6/11 to test the first batch).

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5374.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5375.JPG
    IMG_5375.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5372.JPG
    IMG_5372.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 15
  • TEST BATCH #14.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 5
This is really fancy soap and I'm impressed with the fairly level layers. I can't help with the brown spots. I have used a superfat of 3% for all my 3+ years of soaping. My super rashy skin has never felt better in my entire life.

This is really fancy soap and I'm impressed with the fairly level layers. I can't help with the brown spots. I have used a superfat of 3% for all my 3+ years of soaping. My super rashy skin has never felt better in my entire life.
Thanks @Zing - I used a cardboard for the center line and tried to just eyeball the horizontal line. The batter was probably SB'ed too much so it was a little goopy as I poured it in. Next time, I'll try to pour at a lighter trace for straighter lines lol. Glad to know that 3% SF has been good enough for you! I'm a little nervous that 5% may be too much...

About lowering superfat, it is really going to depend on your overall recipe. I superfat on the average of 2% sometimes 1% depending on my recipe. I want to wash with soap, not oil. My recipes run between 10-18% CO depending on my target market. For my men type, fo's I usually superfat 17-18% because they seem to like a slightly more cleansing bar of soap. I also like to split my cleansing oil percentage between PKO and CO.

Thanks @Zing - I used a cardboard for the center line and tried to just eyeball the horizontal line. The batter was probably SB'ed too much so it was a little goopy as I poured it in. Next time, I'll try to pour at a lighter trace for straighter lines lol. Glad to know that 3% SF has been good enough for you! I'm a little nervous that 5% may be too much...
I am not the layer expert by any means and whatever you did looks effective and great. Some people do a separate oils/lye batter for each layer. You do want the previous layer to be fairly thick so that the next layer doesn't poke through.

Spots: I'm only guessing here, but I suspect it's just the vanillin breaking though the TD in places where it may not have been blended through.
eep - i hope the vanilla pokes through some more once it cures more. looks sort of like mold to me right now.

Latest posts

Back