Brown spots in soap and yellowing white

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gracenotes

Reaction score
Hi! I have been making cold process soap for a couple years now, I always use the same recipe, and this has never happened. When I first pulled it out of the mold, it looked perfect on the sides and bottom where it was touching the silicone mold. The top looked okay too, except I noticed a few brown specs. However, the white and purple looked great. Upon cutting it, I noticed the white swirl on the inside had brown spots as well, and was more yellow than white. I cut a few pieces, and after a couple of days the outside has started to turn yellow with spots as well. What could be causing this? And is there any way to remedy it? Thanks for any help! Also- I typically put the soap mold uncovered in a dark oven. This time I put it in the dark oven and my boyfriend put the wooden lid on it as well. could this have anything to do with it?
IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

I didnt hand stir it, and I did suspect honey at first, but Ive used honey for other soap that have come out completely white.
My soaps don't always come out exactly as I expect on the inside as far as the pattern is concerned, but I always like it, and that's part of the fun. But this has NEVER happened, with the bumps and orange.

I also don't usually get air bubbles, I'm good at getting rid of those, nor the white spots on top.

I know it’s discouraging when a soap goes sideways. Possibly the little extra heat from having the lid on played a role. As mentioned above, it‘s easier to help with trouble shooting when the recipe is shared, with the weights of the oils, any additives and the water and lye amounts.

What FO did you use? The color change in the white looks similar browning from vanillin. But some of the more specific brown spots (as opposed to darkening areas) look like honey specks. They can show up quite unexpectedly at times, even if you don't usually get them.

The white spots/dots I see in some areas look like unmixed TD, with the stuff on top looks like the beginnings of soda ash.

My two cents, YMMV. It really would help if you posted the entire recipe with additives, since without that, we are just guessing.

Back