Brown Speckles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie

Reaction score
I've been making fresh goat milk soap for over 20 years, and am an experienced soap maker. I have not made any changes to my process or formula. Until now my soap has been perfect. The last three batches have all had small brown spots throughout. NOT dreaded orange spots. This is UNSCENTED plain soap. The spots are very small and look like soap that's had tea or herbs added. I am using frozen goat milk from a good supplier that has different breeds of goats. Could these spots be caused by milk sugars in the soap? They seem to be cosmetic only. I soap at low temp, around 85 degrees. I'm stumped, wondering if the milk came from a goat that just has some extra rich milk with a higher sugar content than other goats might have? Has anyone experienced this with their goat milk soaps?

It could be the goat's milk. You might try a one pound batch, using 2/3 water and 1/3 goat's milk. Dissolve lye in water and strain before adding to the oils. Add milk to oils and mix with stick blender, then add lye water. Or you can add lye water to soap and mix to emulsion, then add the milk and stick blend to thin trace. I do the latter method; but I use cow's cream in my soap instead of milk.

PICS PLZ. Dark spots that nobody has seen, do not exist. ;)
MV5BNzFhZjZhMWUtMWJhNS00YjZiLWEzNTctOTRkYTY0ZTY5ZTVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

Sorry, I did not want to appear harsh. You have done nothing wrong! It's only that photographs can immensely help the eyes of others to discover things, that you might not even have thought about, but are really helpful for troubleshooting.

@Ollie, how do you generally add your goats milk to your soap? Do you do a water replacement with it and dissolve your lye into it? If so it could be the fats in the milk saponifying dark because they over heated. I have to be very slow and careful when adding my lye to my goats milk or I get little flecks of brown in my soap. That sounds like it may be what you are experiencing. I'll see if I can get a picture of it in my soap...

Help I too have the same problem, just cut 4 batches same oils, 3 unscented 1 with Lavender and Bergamot, the two made with sheep's milk have spots the 2 made with raw cows milk have none! Any help 🙏 greatfully received!

Attachments

• 20220612_081100.jpg
    20220612_081100.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220612_075702.jpg
    20220612_075702.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back