brown patches after curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipsyrose

Reaction score
hi guys, i made a batch of soap about 3 mths ago and i have a few bars left in my bathroom, i have now noticed that they have devwloped brown patches throughout the bar which wernt there when it was made! why wud it go like that? i didnt colour it so its just cream wif these funny brown patches! thanks for any help :)

A picture would help if possible, but sounds like DOS which is the oils going rancid. Are they starting to develop a funky smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

A picture would help, DOS tends to start out an ornagey color in the shape of a spot.

Also what was your recipe? Some oils are more prone to DOS then others. A pic and the recipe might help us diagnose.

thanks for replies sorry mine is late, i must get round to uploading photos! not very into technology! thou im sure it aint too hard! my receipe is 16oz olive oil, 5oz veg oil, 3oz coconut oil, 6.5oz water, 3.5oz lye, tbsp lavender eo and tbsp tea tree eo, wat is dos mean? many thanks :)

D.O.S stands for dreaded orange spots. When it happens means oil has gone rancid in the soap olive oil sometimes tends to have issue . The Veg oil depending on whats in it could have issue also. Is there a funky smell ?

You can have dos without a smell. It's not exactly the same as when the oil goes rancid.

thanks for replies sorry mine is late, i must get round to uploading photos! not very into technology! thou im sure it aint too hard! my receipe is 16oz olive oil, 5oz veg oil, 3oz coconut oil, 6.5oz water, 3.5oz lye, tbsp lavender eo and tbsp tea tree eo, wat is dos mean? many thanks :)
The greater the unsaturation, and especially with polyunsaturates (that were likely prevalent in your "veg oil"), the more prone to this reaction. In use it makes practically no difference, it'll just look funny.

Back