Broken pencil line

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
I saw this question asked before on another forum and no one answered it and I couldn't find it on SMF. I made a pencil line soap and long story short, the two halves came apart. Is there a way to "glue" the pieces back together with some fresh soap? Or even try something similar with cracked soap and rubbing alcohol? Maybe shave off the pencil line a bit.

First time pencil line so I'm not that upset. I can always cut it up into embeds or something.

This is such an amazing addiction. Now if only I could start selling the stuff! :p Come on spring!

The reason it separated is you had to much mica or whatever you used in your pencil line. You could scrape off some of the material, place part in your mold, pour some fresh soap and then place the other half on top. Voila a double pencil line.

I don't know for sure, but if I were you, I would scrape off the majority of that pencil line and pour a small batch of soap between the two halves. This is if the soap is not very old. Say not more than a week.

If all else fails, rebatching is always an option.

I think I am going to have the same problem my sifter strainer is not fine enuff

I don't know for sure, but if I were you, I would scrape off the majority of that pencil line and pour a small batch of soap between the two halves. This is if the soap is not very old. Say not more than a week.

If all else fails, rebatching is always an option.

I'm going to try this today! Hopefully it's not too old. Should be exciting! Will post an update in a few days!

Use a tea strainer, that should be fine enough, that's what I use.

I just ordered one from Amazon for like $1. I don't think the strainer I used had a fine enough mesh. Thanks for the tip!

I think I am going to have the same problem my sifter strainer is not fine enuff

I also read somewhere that you shouldn't go all the way to the edge with the pencil line as that helps the two halves stay together as well. How did yours do?

I've only done one pencil line. I was just playing around with it, so I didn't follow anyone's advice on anything, like the curious experimenter I tend to be. And although it didn't crack, there's a couple spots that looked like they almost wanted to. Since it was my first, I hadn't figured out quite how much to use, and I was using cocoa powder, which I found out later will bleed color into the lighter colored surroundings a little bit, giving it fuzzy edges. But I didn't have a sifter, so I just took a pinch at a time between my fingers and sprinkled it on. (found out that was very messy lol) I sprinkled a very thin layer at first, and after it hit the soap, it got wet and kinda soaked in, so I figured surely that wasn't enough. So I sprinkled another light layer, and it also became wet and sank into the soap a tiny bit. And I kinda kept going until it was covered in what I figured was a thick enough layer but without any "dry spots" of powder and then poured the second layer of soap on top. I think I was lucky, because although it was very thick, when I waited for each sprinkling to get wet and "adhere" to the soap, I think that let the second layer stick ok despite the thickness of the line. I did go all the way to the edge with mine. It's the very edges where it looks like it might have cracked if it had been just a tad thicker. This may also be because I couldn't get it evenly sprinkled close to the edges using my fingers, so it ended up a bit thicker there.

I learned the following from this:
Don't use cocoa powder in a white soap. It bleeds.
Don't use your fingers to sprinkle it. It's messy.
Don't do it so thick. It was just lucky that I let it soak into the soap enough that the 2nd layer of soap stuck ok without separating.
Did I mention cocoa powder bleeds? lol It also smudges when you cut it, even if you cut it laying on its side.
Follow experienced pencil-line-makers advice. lol

Hey, I did the pencil line soap just yesterday, and yes, it separated :'(
Only somewhere, uckily. I am planning to use the method with pouring some new soap in between, but howwxactly should I do it? I have about 10 pieces. Should I just prepare a new soap mixture, take the lower parts, put them in a mild, carefully pour the new mix on them, add the upper part and let it gel? Or would it be safer to put it in a freezer? Thanx for the advise!!!

I did the pencil line technique once a few years ago with break-apart results, too, and haven't tried it again since, but after seeing Soaping 101's stunningly gorgeous pencil lined soap here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWfL8dPl7IE&list=UU6NFc1XyVdzuyQw-f9HG42g[/ame] , I've decided I'm going to give it another try. I've got a really fine mesh strainer that I tested out the other day by sprinkling gold mica through it onto a piece of paper and it seems to work great, so I'm going to give it a go.

I was looking on YouTube at other pencil line videos the other night and I ran into a couple of them that recommended lightly blowing over the surface of the freshly-sprinkled pencil line before pouring the second layer of soap on top, so that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully I will have better results this time!

IrishLass :)

I do a soap with a pencil line all the time. The key is to make sure that the powder layer is still wet looking when pouring the second layer of soap.

I too have done it several times with good results using cocoa powder and micas. The key is to not make it too thick and that it's a bit wet looking before pouring the next layer. It should work doing it that way.

Latest posts

Back