Broadspectrum preservative for cp soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sang90

Reaction score
Can someone please suggest to me a broadspectrum preservative (not chelators like citric acid,SG)which is a natural extract for cold processed soaps?

If by "preservative" you mean an antioxidant -- something that prevents chemical oxidation of fats -- rosemary oleoresin (ROE) works very well and it's arguably about as "natural" as you can get.

If by preservative you mean a product that inhibits the growth of bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms, it's not required in bar (NaOH) soap and concentrated liquid (KOH) soap. The alkalinity (high pH) of soap functions as the antimicrobial preservative. Which is good, because there are very few preservatives that function in the high pH of soap.

If you add large pieces of food in or on the soap (for example coarsely ground oatmeal or large pieces of vegetables), those particles can become moldy. The solution to this problem is to not do this.

Hi DeeAnna,

Thank you for your response.

I have just received ROE 5% carnosic acid and I’m planning to use them in my carrier oils to prevent them from oxidation.Could you please tell how much ROE is required for 1kg carrier oil.

Regarding the preservatives, yes I was actually asking about the anti-fungal and anti bacterial stuff. Wanted to use them in purée based soaps for extra protection.
Would it be necessary , considering I superfat them at 5%.
(I was thinking superfatting also free floats some purée along with unsaponified oils.. this might make them prone to mold .Please correct me if I’m wrong)

Please advise.

Just adding , I do filter my purées before adding them into soap

@sang90 -- please see Table of contents | Soapy Stuff for how to use ROE.

As far as the use of purees and whether you need an antimicrobial preservative -- Don't put larger pieces of any food in soap. You want the "food" to be very fine particles and you must mix the particles thoroughly into the soap. If you do this, the finished soap is unlikely to mold.

If large pieces of food are added in or on soap, those particles will always be more likely to mold. This will be true whether you add a separate preservative or trust to the self-preserving qualities of the soap itself.

I don't understand why folks want to put 'food' in their soap. Does adding a few ounces of pumpkin, carrots, cucumber, whatever in several pounds of oil actually add anything to the soap or is just label appeal? Is it worth potentially having several pounds of soap going bad because you didn't get the food item ground fine enough for the lye to destroy it and/or having to add chemical preservatives? Does Pumpkin Soap sell better because it has 'real pumpkin' in it as opposed to colorant and scent?

I used to make pumpkin soap (for colour and properties). It was great. I still make oatmeal (Very very finely ground by me but not quite colloidal) and honey soap with oat milk. It’s one of my best sellers.

Lots of people put avocado in soap for colour.

it’s not too dissimilar from using avocado oil or almond oil or macadamia oil.

Um ... well, just because it's fun to try or satisfies one's curiosity?

I'm not too interested in adding food purees to soap, but I enjoy making egg soap. I made my first batch of egg soap purely for the sake of having fun and trying something different.

Is potassium sorbate an effective preservative ??
Not just for puree soaps, but in general

Back