Brine soap who created this soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case, wouldn’t brine soap be long-time traditional soap stretching back to the time they made it with wood ash? Just like the salting-out batch I made, salt was used to bring soap out of solution so it could be skimmed off the top. Perhaps “brine soap” is only new to the cold process? Perhaps more of a marketing thing? Just asking.

I have no clue, but in my search, Klar Sein, in 1840, was the first to get a trademark, ‘Made in Germany’. It was very interesting to know how it was taxed and the monopoly thst soap was in and before that. Msy I will fo another search with keywords from your reply.

Benjamin Franklin shared his family’s soap recipe with the ladies in France. I’ll have to go looking for that, but I’m sure salt must’ve been part of the process.

Here’s one of the links with Franklin’s recipe. Sounds just like the salting out process or the old boiled soap process.
https://franklinpapers.org/framedVolumes.jsp?vol=44&page=492

Here’s one of the links with Franklin’s recipe. Sounds just like the salting out process or the old boiled soap process.
https://franklinpapers.org/framedVolumes.jsp?vol=44&page=492
Which volume? First time I’ve heard of Ben’s Soap. Very interesting.

Benjamin Franklin shared his family’s soap recipe with the ladies in France. I’ll have to go looking for that, but I’m sure salt must’ve been part of the process.
Isnt that something..In a bit, I cant wsit to get on my laptop and read all this!

Which volume? First time I’ve heard of Ben’s Soap. Very interesting.
Never mind, I see it! Duh!

Glad you figured it out! For others, just click that you agree on the right hand side and it will take you straight into the soap recipe.

Sorry, I was not clear, Soleseife soap. Also known as German Brine soap. This is made with salt, but it’s dissolved first. I just wanted to get more info. Like was it really from Germsny in the 1840?
If there was a patent on it, can you find the patent in Germany? Is it possible it wasn’t the salt process, but one of the advances in production of alkali for soap instead of using wood ash?

If there was a patent on it, can you find the patent in Germany? Is it possible it wasn’t the salt process, but one of the advances in production of alkali for soap instead of using wood ash?
I dont know. Some of the websites I found were in German. I am guessing that’s where German Brine soap started. At least from Europe.

This thread sent me down the rabbit hole researching Benjamin Franklin’s Family’s recipe, myrtle wax, and where they intersect with salted soap and with salting out scraps, which I just did.

The Franklin family were chandlers in Boston. Chandlers made both candles and soap, hence Ben’s knowledge and the ingredients in the recipe. Myrtle wax is also known as Bayberry wax, which is why he references the dark green color for the best wax. Candlemakers blend beeswax and Bayberry, but the properties of the two waxes are apparently different for soap making. I found a few references online plus an old thread on the forum about Bayberry wax in soap. (That sounds like a new thread to me.) Here is a link to properties of bayberry wax.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayberry_wax
The other thing that struck me about the recipe was the reference to use of salt. Ben cautioned against using too much because it would make the soap brittle. Has anyone had that experience with salted soap?

And here’s the rabbit hole I fell down. I have some old bayberry wax downstairs. And I have tallow. And I just learned how to salt out fats in lye water. Guess what I’m doing this morning??? 😁

Because of the bayberry wax, I don’t know the exact rate of lye needed for cold process, so I’m going to follow Ben’s recipe and heat the oils in lye water, then salt out the soap. I can ensure the full amount of lye to saponify the oils, but they won’t absorb more than needed and the excess will go down the drain.

More info to come!

I am interested in the answer to this - earliest known production of brine soap? I would think it would have been first created at a sea side location, thus the use of salt water.
I make mine with 20% sea salt - 1 part salt to 4 parts water by weight.
Are you using the sea salt in the beeswax soap recipe? I use beeswax From a local farmer in my soap. Does the sea salt reduce some of the stickiness of beeswax soap in the mold?

This thread sent me down the rabbit hole researching Benjamin Franklin’s Family’s recipe, myrtle wax, and where they intersect with salted soap and with salting out scraps, which I just did.

The Franklin family were chandlers in Boston. Chandlers made both candles and soap, hence Ben’s knowledge and the ingredients in the recipe. Myrtle wax is also known as Bayberry wax, which is why he references the dark green color for the best wax. Candlemakers blend beeswax and Bayberry, but the properties of the two waxes are apparently different for soap making. I found a few references online plus an old thread on the forum about Bayberry wax in soap. (That sounds like a new thread to me.) Here is a link to properties of bayberry wax.
The other thing that struck me about the recipe was the reference to use of salt. Ben cautioned against using too much because it would make the soap brittle. Has anyone had that experience with salted soap?

And here’s the rabbit hole I fell down. I have some old bayberry wax downstairs. And I have tallow. And I just learned how to salt out fats in lye water. Guess what I’m doing this morning??? 😁

Because of the bayberry wax, I don’t know the exact rate of lye needed for cold process, so I’m going to follow Ben’s recipe and heat the oils in lye water, then salt out the soap. I can ensure the full amount of lye to saponify the oils, but they won’t absorb more than needed and the excess will go down the drain.

More info to come!
Wow that is more then what I got. In a bit I will dif down and chew all this info, wonderful

I am interested in the answer to this - earliest known production of brine soap? I would think it would have been first created at a sea side location, thus the use of salt water.
I make mine with 20% sea salt - 1 part salt to 4 parts water by weight.
I was also thinking that it could have been Cleopatra’s soap made for her too. I have read that Cleopatra kept secrets..just saying maybe.

Are you using the sea salt in the beeswax soap recipe? I use beeswax From a local farmer in my soap. Does the sea salt reduce some of the stickiness of beeswax soap in the mold?
No, I don't put beeswax in my brine soap. Supposedly the salt is supposed to be really good for various skin conditions. The brine soap has become my favorite bath soap.

More info to come!

No, I have not done that. I barely am at the plain sea salt stage.

955A12B2-E3BA-4930-A8AF-35BDA778D4C0.jpeg
2C3D651C-C4C8-4B4C-A53C-A1B5C74B879E.jpeg
FF0DE398-ACDA-4E21-9346-C8CC055106F8.jpeg
C5E84996-C59C-4108-B823-382637E5891E.jpeg
73E905AA-D1A6-4E6E-9083-3DC1A154C6D9.jpeg

Last edited:
I finished my soap following the Franklin family method with myrtle wax and tallow. I drained the first batch of brine from the soap to eliminate remaining lye, then remelted the curds and stirred the soap with fresh brine. In both cases, the brine I poured off was brown, I assume from natural components in the myrtle wax.

I scooped fully gelled soap from the top and put it into silicone guest soap molds and into a small loaf. There was a tiny bit of water left at the bottom of the pot, which I believe indicated the soap was still salt heavy.

There are some air pockets in the final soaps, but the rest of the soap is quite solid/hard without air bubbles. It seems to need only a little drying to remove the last of the excess water. I assume there is a great deal of salt still left in the bars. The soap has a waxy quality and minimum bubbles when I wash my hands. There is a waxy finish left on my skin after rinsing.

Because this soap batch was made with sodium hydroxide, it isn’t the same as the Franklin recipe made from potassium hydroxide in wood ash. BTW, I need to credit the soap recipe link to Ben’s sister, Jane. She mentioned that using too much salt would make the soap brittle.

Does adding salt to soap made with potassium hydroxide turn it into a batter that hardens and can be cut into bars?

is it possible that the waxy residue from myrtle wax or bees wax leaves a residue on the skin that is beneficial, assuming the natural components don’t cause an allergy?

For that matter, Is it possible that the oily residue from soap scum is beneficial on the skin? (New thread???)

Are there beneficial properties of salt on the skin when combined with soap? Or does the salt simply contribute an aesthetic property?

I’m off to try guest soap bar in the shower!

Back