Brine soap. Messed up again!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I made my second attempt at a brine soap today. My first try, I totally forgot the fragrance. (face palm) The soap was fine, just not what I intended. Today, I forgot to add the salt to the lye water. I did the hot transfer method and added the salt as soon as I remembered. The coconut oil was fully melted when I added the salt and liquid oils. I added the fragrance at emulsification and noticed the batter getting really thick. Uh oh. I start going fast. Added color, blended and started to pour. In the middle of pouring there’s a big clump! I figured I had to keep going. Is this going to be a rebatch? Will the salt have an effect on rebatching? Thanks for any advice

I do not play with the hot transfer method as I see no point in it, in my opinion, it is much easier to start with melted oils. Am I to assume you added in your salt un-dissolved? If so even re-batching will not dissolve your salt creating a brine salt bar (Solefeif soap), you will still have a 25% salt bar, so I hope you used fine salt. Salt will not dissolve in oil. But yes you can rebatch it if you have a clump of dry salt in your soap and you will be able to disperse the salt with the addition of some extra liquid and good stirring.

I do not play with the hot transfer method as I see no point in it, in my opinion, it is much easier to start with melted oils. Am I to assume you added in your salt un-dissolved? If so even re-batching will not dissolve your salt creating a brine salt bar (Solefeif soap), you will still have a 25% salt bar, so I hope you used fine salt. Salt will not dissolve in oil. But yes you can rebatch it if you have a clump of dry salt in your soap and you will be able to disperse the salt with the addition of some extra liquid and good stirring.
Thank you. I’m sure thats what I’ll be doing tomorrow.

Thank you. I’m sure thats what I’ll be doing tomorrow.
This is what it looks like
6BC4E0A8-4076-422F-8BEF-54557462A679.jpeg

Back