Brine, Not Salt, Soap Help Needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in a pickle. I've read through a lot of posts and I can't seem to find a clear answer to my question/problem.
I want to make a brine soap, not a salt one, and about the only information that I've found is:
1) I shouldn't use more than 25% salt in my water or it'll precipitate out, and in my hard water, probably 23% is more likely; and
2) someone mentioned that I shouldn't use lard in it, but there wasn't a clear explanation as to why.
I'm attaching the recipe I've come up with. It's for washing an oily face only, not the body. The brine is to soothe the skin of inflammation, one hopes. My son and his SO have oily skin with occasional breakouts. He once bought an activated charcoal soap from Lush, which he liked, but not enough to buy again. He does like his Neutrogena Face Wash, but he'd rather I create a soap for him if I can do it.
I hate to mention this but I'm in a sort of hurry to make this because I've run out of one of my meds that I used to get overseas. I suffer from an autoimmune issue that causes inflammation and chronic pain and I can't get that med here in the States. Tomorrow (later today) its lack will begin taking effect, and over the next several days it'll be getting worse. I'd like to finish this batch of soap before I take to my bed. So if someone can help me soonest, I'd be so very grateful!
1591688833525970368356801456404.jpg

By using brine the salt will greatly reduce the lather so most brine soap use a high-coconut recipe.
25% salt sounds about right. I used 26% once and had to filter out the undissolved salt.
My brine soap recipe is the same as my salt bar, 80% coconut, 5% castor, 15% olive with a 20% SF and added clay for color. After curing for over 3 months it's nice on the skin but doesn't lather as well as my 25% coconut soap.
I'm not sure about lard and I don't see why you shouldn't use it. I'd say you can make a small batch (I usually use 300-400g oil for test batches) and try it out.

Lard is not known for being very bubbly in soap. A 100% lard bar has little to no true lather but will still get you clean. Coconut is one of the few (if not the only) soaps that can lather in salt water. A salt bar would need to take this into consideration.

your recipe should be fine, just expect it to have less lather. Using a wash cloth or poof should help fluff up what lather there is. I have not made too many brine bars to be called anything of an expert so I cannot tell you how much you should expect the lather to decrease.

Also, having only a 4% SF may be too stripping of the skin. If you strip too much oil from the skin it generally causes it to produce more oil. You can certainly give your recipe a try, just don't expect a lot of lather and it will be rather cleansing. Small batch to test on your skin.

For my soleseife (brine soaps) I use a slightly modified version of my regular recipe, which uses lard/tallow in addition to cocoa and shea butters, and lathering has never been a problem. I up my CO from 18% to 28% and take the difference out of the rest of my oils (basically I reduce all of my other oils except for castor and cocoa butter by 3-4%).

For your recipe, I would say the CO amount is fine, but I would drop the lard to 30% at most and plug the difference into your Olive oil. You'll also want to increase the superfat, as 4% is too harsh even for oily skin. I increased mine to 7% which worked well for my dry skin and my husband's oily skin.

I should also note that I use a 20% salt solution, which I calculate from the remainder of my water (subtract lye amount from total water, and multiply that by .2 to get the salt amount). I've tried it calculated from the total weight, but I always wind up with my salt precipitating out and have crystals in my bars. For your recipe, your 62.2g calculation may be a problem. I ran your numbers for 23% subtracting the lye, and 23.58g would make a better soap that is less harsh and keeps the lye fully dissolved. This is just my advice though - I know quite a few soapers who have no problems calculating from the full amount - but I also haven't tried their soap so I don't know if the soap crystallizes for them either, or they just haven't mentioned / noticed it. (In which case, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong! haha)

To everyone, I used this recipe as a broad guide. Having said that, it has NO indication of SF, and I'm having some cognitive impairment these days so I'm not sure if I did the comparison of the recipe through the Soapmaking Friend with mine or not.
@shunt2011 I didn't think about that SF being too low. Oops. Guess I'll have lots and lots of dishwashing soap!! Running low on Dawn anyway. But I'll make a note in my recipe page. As for the lather, my son isn't too bothered by that. He's rather a fan of my creamy lathering soaps now. He does want a slippy feel to them though.
@amd The points you make are on point. I had gotten impatient and started mixing oils and added lard before y'all said lard wasn't a good idea. My bad. So coconut will take center stage moving forward. Also, I WILL lower my salt amount and use plain salt. I used pink Himalayan this session and we concerned. I left it to settle using most of 500g of water, and 150g of salt. I let it settle and then used only 250g of water siphoned off the top, leaving the sediment behind. There was a LOT of sediment, and the water was very clear! I'm guessing that I used less than 50g of salt in solution in the end but without a way to test it, it's only a guess.
Knowing my son, he'll want to test it, but not before it cures for 6 weeks at LEAST.
I'll give a review then.
Thanks everyone for the input, it's been invaluable as always!

Latest posts

Back