Brine bar stuff up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBV

Reaction score
I was making a brine bar with between 20%-25% salt. When it reached trace I added essential oils at 3 percent. Made the mistake of using g blender to mix in and the soap went really thick and I could not pour it. I tried spooning in the mixture and pressing down to eliminate bubbles and hoped it would settle overnight. I tried to remove one of the bars and it just crumbled. Is there any way I can rescue this batch.
I have previously used the soap recipe with no issues, the only difference was adding the essential oils. This was the first time i tried this combination of oils (elemi, cedarwood, peru balsam and ylangylang).

(It was a bad day for me soap wise. I tried a hot process soap, but forgot that I wasn't supposed to be adding salt to the water - went on auto pilot - and didn't realise until it wasn't turning the right texture. Rescued it by adding more water, so was usable today.)

What’s your full recipe?

I don’t have much experience with brine bars but a recipe can help others help you. I imagine all the salt hardened the bath quicker than normal but I’ve also never used those EO’s, they could have accelerated the batch

I was making a brine bar with between 20%-25% salt. When it reached trace I added essential oils at 3 percent. Made the mistake of using g blender to mix in and the soap went really thick and I could not pour it. I tried spooning in the mixture and pressing down to eliminate bubbles and hoped it would settle overnight. I tried to remove one of the bars and it just crumbled. Is there any way I can rescue this batch.
I have previously used the soap recipe with no issues, the only difference was adding the essential oils. This was the first time i tried this combination of oils (elemi, cedarwood, peru balsam and ylangylang).
I've used both elemi and cedarwood in a brine bar and it didn't accelerate for me. I have not tried the other two so it still could be those...

However.. How long overnight was it before you cut? Brine bars, like salt bars, rarely take more than a couple of hours before it becomes too hard to cut, unless you used individual cavity molds.
(It was a bad day for me soap wise. I tried a hot process soap, but forgot that I wasn't supposed to be adding salt to the water - went on auto pilot - and didn't realise until it wasn't turning the right texture. Rescued it by adding more water, so was usable today.)
What do you mean about the salt?

No soap you made last night is going to be truly Usable today. Sure you can but it is not done.
HP needs even more time to cure due to using more water to HP it. At least that was my take on it when I did it years ago.

I would just toss the Brine batch. not sure how long you have been soaping, but maybe learn a bit more and get CP under your belt solid and then try salts.

Recipe is as follows (weights in grams)
Water 190gm
Sea salt 45
Noah 69.57
Fragrance 15gm
Olive oil 200
Tallow 150
Coconut 100
Castor 50

I have followed this recipe several times with no issues. As I know that brine soaps do harden fast I pour them into individual moulds. No need to cut then.

The HP soap , I forgot that brines dont really work. I added water because that seemed the logical thing. While HP soaps do benefit from curing, they can be used the following day. I just forgot I was not supposed to add salt to the liquid. Soap is not as I hoped, but I was rather desperate for som soap as I had run out. Had not been able to make them due to renovations.

Yes, technically they CAN be used the next day, so can CP if done a certain way. But it is not Cured and if you are selling or giving it away you are doing yourself and the others a disservice.
There are plenty of posts on here about it you can look for.

Tallow can move fast
Maybe there was an error in the calculations.

I have followed this recipe several times with no issues. As I know that brine soaps do harden fast I pour them into individual moulds. No need to cut then.
Ah yes :)
The HP soap , I forgot that brines dont really work. I added water because that seemed the logical thing. While HP soaps do benefit from curing, they can be used the following day. I just forgot I was not supposed to add salt to the liquid. Soap is not as I hoped, but I was rather desperate for som soap as I had run out. Had not been able to make them due to renovations.
I just recently purposely tried to HP a brine soap. It was ok.. Not as good as my CP soleseifes of course, and not like my regular HP soaps, but its not terrible I think so it's doable just difficult I think. It's here if you're interested hehe.. Yours might still be fine if you managed to get it in the mold without it breaking into pieces beforehand. I'm very interested to see if you're willing to share pics :)

Ylang ylang can accelerate. It's done it to me before.

I made a coconut milk, brine bar with an accelerating FO (Himalayan Bamboo) and that seized on me - turned into breadcrumbs! I packed it into the cavity moulds though and called it "Salty Sailor' so it kinda suits being a little 'rough around the edges'. Hang on, I'll find a pic...
fullsizeoutput_5082.jpeg
It's still nice to use :)

IMG_20190913_012005.jpg
Here are my soaps. The white bar is my normal brine soap. I have not really had any problems with my recipe until now. The soap on the mould is the brine soap that went wrong, the dark soap is the hot process soap. It is a coffee bar with grounds. It lathers well and feels nice to use.
My friends really like the brine bar as they don't disintegrate into mush. I was surprised at how much it does lather, although the older it is, the better the lather.

Oh. What a difference an EO makes. Have you tried those particular ones in non brine soaps before?

View attachment 41452 Here are my soaps. The white bar is my normal brine soap. I have not really had any problems with my recipe until now. The soap on the mould is the brine soap that went wrong, the dark soap is the hot process soap. It is a coffee bar with grounds. It lathers well and feels nice to use.
My friends really like the brine bar as they don't disintegrate into mush. I was surprised at how much it does lather, although the older it is, the better the lather.
LOL - they look just like mine! Must be a NZ thing. :)

Oh. What a difference an EO makes. Have you tried those particular ones in non brine soaps before?
I haven't tried that particular blend before. I think I will try again but will ensure to add them in light trace and not use the blender to mix in.

Latest posts

Back