bright orange?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponomancer

Professional Geek
Reaction score
I'm having a bizarre problem

Ever since I made an orange/clove soap in one of my molds every single soap thereafter has after a while begun to turn bright orange

Its not DOS I've had that before, its not the right shade, it doesn't appear in spots, and there's no rancid smell

Its just inexplicably orange soap, everywhere the air touches.

Does anyone know whats causing that and how to clean whatever it is out of the silicone?

DSCF1572.jpg

Last edited:
I love and use a lot of 15x Orange, and my soaps are a pale orange-yellow. Maybe clove adds its own orange tint, IDK. I use silicone molds. Personally I think it's beautiful, I often swirl and stamp with a nice complementary copper.

I love and use a lot of 15x Orange, and my soaps are a pale orange-yellow. Maybe clove adds its own orange tint, IDK. I use silicone molds. Personally I think it's beautiful, I often swirl and stamp with a nice complementary copper.

yeah but these dont have that in them, I've had two completely unscented batches turn, and this one that has peppermint and lemongrass in it

completely different base oils, too.

I don't know what is the cause, but I doubt its the mold. If something remained in the silicone, then why is the top discoloring too? What about your mixing bowl/blender? Any chance there is residue in any of them? Could you try a test batch in a different mixing bowl and different mold but using one of the recipes that turned orange? Are you using any additives at all?

I don't know what is the cause, but I doubt its the mold. If something remained in the silicone, then why is the top discoloring too? What about your mixing bowl/blender? Any chance there is residue in any of them? Could you try a test batch in a different mixing bowl and different mold but using one of the recipes that turned orange? Are you using any additives at all?

I've done other batches with the mixing bowl and blender, and used a different mold and it didn't turn. Using the same oils too. Any scraps of soap left on the mold to saponify before washing turn orange too, and its got an orange tint to it now

ETA: The additive they have in common is citric acid, but again thats also in the batches that came out fine

That is bizarre then. Any chance your mold is red? I had red silicone turn my soap orange, looked like a block of cheese. I would try to scrub the inside of the mold with baking soda/dish soap paste, maybe that would help remove any reside that might be causing it.

On the other end of the scale, a vinegar soak might be worth a try or even try both. If it continues, I would contact the manufacture, EO's shouldn't affect silicone like that.

That is bizarre then. Any chance your mold is red? I had red silicone turn my soap orange, looked like a block of cheese. I would try to scrub the inside of the mold with baking soda/dish soap paste, maybe that would help remove any reside that might be causing it.

On the other end of the scale, a vinegar soak might be worth a try or even try both. If it continues, I would contact the manufacture, EO's shouldn't affect silicone like that.

No, its just a crafter's choice mold, its white

I will try the baking soda, and then the vinegar if that doesnt work, thank you for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back