Bridal Expo...Help!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
So, a friend recommended me for a bridal expo. Having never done an event like this, I need help. I've done many shows and markets and I know this will be out of my comfort zone.
The info I have is that it is a first year event. It is at a local, relatively new wedding/vacation venue, and is targeting brides in my area. The fee is nominal... $25. I know booths that have something to hand out get better traffic and more word of mouth. Unfortunately, this event is only 2 weeks out- June 3rd. I was just invited this morning.
So my dilemma is... what would work best for handouts? Little bath bombs? Small packages of bath salts?
I do have a few batches of soaps, but they're right on the line of being too cured to cut into guest bars.
Would brochures be the way to go with a handout? Vistaprint has a special right now, 100 for $40.
Good or bad idea to bring a few full size bars for display of scent and color?
ANY help is appreciated! I don't want to overthink, but I know I will...lol

Sounds fun! The problem with a brochure - do you have enough time and pictures to layout a brochure right now? I think my choice would be to make small wax melts or small lotion bars of a large variety of scents - then let each person choose their 5 favorites. Then if they decide they want to order them, they can sniff their samples and say, "Okay, I want some Dragon's blood Wax Melts" or whatever. Problem is that scents do change in soap, though -maybe a disclaimer?

Sounds fun! The problem with a brochure - do you have enough time and pictures to layout a brochure right now? I think my choice would be to make small wax melts or small lotion bars of a large variety of scents - then let each person choose their 5 favorites. Then if they decide they want to order them, they can sniff their samples and say, "Okay, I want some Dragon's blood Wax Melts" or whatever. Problem is that scents do change in soap, though -maybe a disclaimer?

I actually started setting one up, and all I would have to do is add pics...shipping for 5 days is $9. So that could be an option. But I wonder if a sample and a business card would be better.

I think that at something like that, people will pick up TONS of brochures and business cards, forget why they got them, then throw them a way. I'd get the little ziplock baggies from Michael's in the jewelry section. Put a sticker on each bag that states what the scent is and what the item is.

Example: Soy wax melt with Peppermint Esssential oil. Blah blah blah about why peppermint essential oil is nice. Available in wax melts, lotion bars, soap and lip balm. And then your contact info.

I think that at something like that, people will pick up TONS of brochures and business cards, forget why they got them, then throw them a way. I'd get the little ziplock baggies from Michael's in the jewelry section. Put a sticker on each bag that states what the scent is and what the item is.

Example: Soy wax melt with Peppermint Esssential oil. Blah blah blah about why peppermint essential oil is nice. Available in wax melts, lotion bars, soap and lip balm. And then your contact info.

Thank you! I have tons of the jewelry baggies, and I just got an order from Online Labels, so I'd be good to go. Would the scent stay truer if I were to do MP samples? I'm trying to stay away from wax melts until I find a new go to wax. My fave was discontinued, and I haven't found one I like yet.

I just used those an example. MP, a tiny lotion bar, anything that suits you. By small, I mean like the size of a penny. You can get plastic or silicone candy molds at a hobby store that would work. You could obviously do a tiny jar of lotion or body butter, but those tiny jars are ridiculously (IMO) expensive - .25, while a 4 oz jar is .50.

I think this is the way to go. People love samples, and will be more likely to keep them over brochures. Given your time constraints, M&P or lotion bars seem to make the most sense to me. If you offer bath salts, you can buy already cut tuille circles at Michael's/HobbyLobby type stores, and you can put a small amount of the salts in those and tie with a pretty ribbon with your contact and product information attached.

^^ I think it would be great to at least see some samples of stamped soap.
Could you possibly do that before the show?
Or bring photos of someone else's work?
That seems to be a really popular idea for weddings.

Karl + Justine
20/05/2018
wedding.jpg

Your question reminded me of this soap queen video I recently saw. If you have time to order and make it, you can cut it and stamp it in guest sides, and have something to show.

Not a fan of those bridal things, so I am probably not much help. But check this one out. I have used rebatch base from bramble very and I love them. They are divine. But I do know they are not the fastest are shipping. Maybe you can call customer service if you like this?

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/wildflower-rebatch-soap-tutorial/

Not a fan of those bridal things, so I am probably not much help. But check this one out. I have used rebatch base from bramble very and I love them.
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/wildflower-rebatch-soap-tutorial/

The reviews for this rebatch are really good - is there a CP formulation for it anywhere on SoapMakingForum? If not I can try and hash it out myself; the oils are Coconut Oil, Palm oil, Olive Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Castor Oil, Apricot Kernel oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, and Mango Butter.

Stacyspy - I agree about not bothering with brochures, etc. The scent samples with your contact info is good, and the stamped soap is really unique and eye-catching.

I don't know if there is a formulation on the forum. But I have bought the rebatch. if you use the right amount of water, can be ready for use in a week, which is why I mentioned it.

Thanks all for the help! DH reminded me I had wedding supplies I bought at an auction, and there was a case of bridal dress favor boxes!
I used the leftover holiday salts and milk baths I had, tweaked the scents a little, and renamed them. I made some small size sugar scrub cubes, and small MP soaps. I felt extremely accomplished.
Then... the event coordinator called, and told me they had decided to make it a vendor event. Sigh. Story of my life...lol... So now I have the opportunity to make some money as well.

Sounds fun!

I am also thinking, it might be a good idea to put together pricing and ideas for a bridal shower package. For example, 2 hrs, 1 jar of lotion, 2 bars of soap, 1 jar whipped body butter - $150 for a group of 10.

Sounds fun!

I am also thinking, it might be a good idea to put together pricing and ideas for a bridal shower package. For example, 2 hrs, 1 jar of lotion, 2 bars of soap, 1 jar whipped body butter - $150 for a group of 10.

This is a great idea...I have made custom bridal favors before and people always want to know pricing and packaging options so I put out a few decorated soaps with labels (I’m also a graphic designer so I make pretty labels for their favors as part of the soap package price). You can do it like a rack card which is quick and easy for a line listing of products. Saying prices starting at $xxx for a certain quantity of soaps or product combinations.

Latest posts

Back