Brewer turned soaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManScent

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had had been brewing beer and was an active member of a forum called Home Brew Talk (which has a layout that might look very similar to members of this forum) for many years before I had to stop drinking because of alcohol's interaction with a medication I now take - nothing serious, but for me the benefit of the medication outweighed the pleasure of having a cold, home-brewed beer or two after a long, hard day at work (ask me if I would have said that a year ago :p).

While I do still brew from time to time, it's usually just assisting friends on their beers or to make a small batch as a gift for family or friends. And so, I've come across a bit of free time recently and have been looking into another hobby - cheesemaking and a few others were thoughts, but the issue with making a lot of cheese is that someone needs to eat it and, believe it or not, it's a lot harder to give away than beer is. :lol: So, a few months ago, after having used the last of my 877th bar of Zest in my shower the night before, I found myself without soap and couldn't immediately find another bar in the cabinet. With a bit of curiosity, I grabbed the bar my wife uses and decided to give it a try. Aside from smelling like "Sugar Cookie" or whatever the scent was, I came to the realization that I much preferred the way this bar felt and made me feel after using it than the same 'ol Zest I had used for ages. It had oats in it that added a slightly rough texture and this soap left my skin feeling nice and soft afterwards, a far cry from what I was used to which had left my skin feeling dry afterward - something I had not even noticed until I was presented with a new option.

I set out to find my own bar, but with a scent that I could handle using daily, and found the options for men to be somewhat slim. While I have found a couple bars I don't hate, this had given me the idea of getting back into a homemade, hands-on hobby and learning new processes. Two birds, meet one stone.

I have been reading up quite a bit on the subject for the past few months (enough to have come to the realization that I know nothing - in many ways, a good place to be) both through this forum and around the web. I look forward to learning more about the processes and ingredients here and thank you all for the many answers I have already found here in my searches. :thumbup:

Welcome, ManScent. Love your moniker and how you came by it. Very cool.

Have you tried your hand at your first batch of soap yet? I suggest doing fragrance and colorant free for your first batch or two, just so you can see what plain soaping is like. Then add something new to the next batch, and so on, making single addition/changes each time. That helps identify what might be the culprit if something goes awry.

As far as fragrance, you can buy samples of fragrance oils in lots geared to men from a couple of vendors (examples below). Or you can browse the EO sections of some stores and see if any of those appeal.

BrambleBerry Manly FO samplers

WSP Manly FO samplers

Welcome, ManScent. Love your moniker and how you came by it. Very cool.

Have you tried your hand at your first batch of soap yet? I suggest doing fragrance and colorant free for your first batch or two, just so you can see what plain soaping is like. Then add something new to the next batch, and so on, making single addition/changes each time. That helps identify what might be the culprit if something goes awry.

As far as fragrance, you can buy samples of fragrance oils in lots geared to men from a couple of vendors (examples below). Or you can browse the EO sections of some stores and see if any of those appeal.

BrambleBerry Manly FO samplers

WSP Manly FO samplers

earlene, thank you for the great advice! That is essentially what I would tell someone new to brewing, so I can certainly understand the benefits of that approach and will do just that. I have purchased a handful of FO and EO samples from a couple different retailers to try out and see what I (or perhaps more importantly, my wife) like, and will look into the vendors you suggested here as well!

I used to frequent homebrewtalk too and almost opened my own brewery before my s.o. talked some sense into me.

Now I make soap every weekend.

From what I've seen so far, soap making is easier and also more difficult than beer making. It's way, way, way easier to mess things up, and you have to actually get into the science, but there are a lot less steps, equipment and time commitment involved, so you can practice more often.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have.

Welcome to the forum. You can use some of your home brew to make beer soap, which usually has fabulous lather.

Haha My thought exactly! Great minds... eh? I make a beer soap that guys love. I call it "Sudsweiser". LOL

I have been reading up quite a bit on the subject for the past few months (enough to have come to the realization that I know nothing - in many ways, a good place to be) both through this forum and around the web.
So, Welcome, ScentGuy! I enjoyed reading your intro. However, I always get a bit nervous when a Newbie has been surfing the web for information on soapmaking. Not all of it is good information and so, while learning, a little bit of unlearning maybe in order. LOL To get you off on a good footing you may want to check out the following links.

Amanda & Benjamin at Loving Soap Studio have a free Cold Process Soap Making Guide to get 'ya started on the right path. There's plenty of the same information here, but in a concise format, in my humble opinion.

http://www.lovinsoap.com/cold-process-soap-making-guide/

While there, you may want to download their "Oil Blends for Men’s Grooming Products"
http://www.lovinsoap.com/freebies/

HAPPY SOAPING!!!

ETA: It took me a while to find this one. (Yoo hoo, Mod/Min, Sticky?) It's a recent thread that asks the question "What advice would you give to your beginning soapmaker self?" it's a great read... SMF wisdom of the ages

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=62916

Last edited:
Welcome! What a fun introduction story as well!

I'm excited to hear your soaping adventures as you learn. And unlike most newbies, you will already have the experience of waiting for your hobby to age before it can be used and fully enjoyed.

Plus you'll be able to make all sorts of lovely mini batches, if you should decide to get into beer soap blends.

Regarding finding a scent you like - go to a store with a lot of scented soaps, such as Whole Foods or Bath & Body Works. Smell all the things and write down what you do and don't like. You may be thinking you want "manly" scent but instead realize you really like something different. For me, hands down the most popular scents among men are vanilla and peppermint.

ETA: By the way, you can make soap with beer. Just sayin'. :)

Hello! You sound like me. I found out about 3 years ago that I had developed an allergy to hops :thumbdown: and went looking for a new hobby. I've still got $3000 worth of brewing equipment in the garage that I haven't been able to bear parting with (I could still make a Berlinner, damnit!) but now soaping stuff has begun competing with it for space, and I think this summer is when the brewery dies. On the plus side, I have, conservatively, 150 bars of soap curing and about 8 more scent samples queued up to try. :D

So welcome to your new addiction. You've definitely found the right place to get the real info. DeeAnna is our John Palmer and Jamil rolled into one. Hang around here and you'll be making awesome soap in no time.

As for scents, I recommend Nurture where you can get samples suitable for 1lb of soap for about three bucks. I've recently tried 16 different scents for less than $60.

And when you're ready to try a beer soap, skip the beer and use wort. Pre-boil if possible to maximize proteins (for silkiness). I've posted a couple long posts about my experiences using beer and hops that might help you, or just ask.

Have fun!

Regarding finding a scent you like - go to a store with a lot of scented soaps, such as Whole Foods or Bath & Body Works. Smell all the things and write down what you do and don't like. You may be thinking you want "manly" scent but instead realize you really like something different. For me, hands down the most popular scents among men are vanilla and peppermint.

ETA: By the way, you can make soap with beer. Just sayin'. :)

This is a great point. One of my most favorite is lavender - which I would never have believed going into this hobby. Lavender and peppermint is even better.

Hello! You sound like me. I found out about 3 years ago that I had developed an allergy to hops :thumbdown: and went looking for a new hobby. I've still got $3000 worth of brewing equipment in the garage that I haven't been able to bear parting with (I could still make a Berlinner, damnit!) but now soaping stuff has begun competing with it for space, and I think this summer is when the brewery dies. On the plus side, I have, conservatively, 150 bars of soap curing and about 8 more scent samples queued up to try. :D

Allergic to hops is brutal!! I suppose you could still use the equipment to make mead, assuming you like mead.

And when you're ready to try a beer soap, skip the beer and use wort. Pre-boil if possible to maximize proteins (for silkiness). I've posted a couple long posts about my experiences using beer and hops that might help you, or just ask.

Have fun!

What is wort?

Latest posts

Back