Breastmilk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetbean

Reaction score
Have any of you guys made breastmilk soap? I'm thinking of trying it out.

How was the soap? Worth the time?

***This will be used for my family only--not sold.

Never done it. I will say soap is a wash off product. If you have little babies around, I've read expressed bm is good on their skin (in the raw so to speak) though i never did that. If you can't donate it, will never use it, then why not use it in soap? Only thing is lye will eat any potential nutrients, and so it wont be a healthier alternative to anything else made into soap. We on the forum recommend not using cp soap on infants and small toddlers based on their sensitive skin, so using it for self, family, or kids over 3 years old, then that should be ok.

I saw all of those links before posting. I was looking for current responses, because, as I'm sure you know, opinions change. I was hoping someone new would respond. Thanks anyway.

I saw all of those links before posting. I was looking for current responses, because, as I'm sure you know, opinions change. I was hoping someone new would respond. Thanks anyway.

Sorry, I thought within the last 6 months was current. We don't get a huge amount of people that are currently active, wanting to make breastmilk soap and as Carolyn said, it's no different from other milk soap. Good luck with your soaping.

It feels no different than any other milk soap, although the milk itself is a bit different. It stays really smooth and creamy when mixed with the lye (frozen) and does not heat or start to saponify like gm can. So I am guessing the fat and sugar content is much lower

Ok let me confess, I have bought breast milk soap. Coz I randomly bought it without noticing human breast milk WAS an ingredient in the bar. UGH!!! But I tried it anyway. Just out of curiosity!!! And it is SLIMY, GOOEY mess like high olive oil soap. And someone on this forum( deeanna?) said breast milk contains lots of shorter chained fatty acid ( lauric acid , and something ever shorter chained than lauric acid )so it means it will be an ACTUALLY HARSHER soap and probably will have bad smell like using milk and dairy product. ( butyric acid )

So it is a novelty and up cycle thing for the breast milk mom's family. And if you sell it, THINK ABOUT it TWICE. It's body fluid! Might be illegal.
:headbanging:

Ok let me confess, I have bought breast milk soap. Coz I randomly bought it without noticing human breast milk WAS an ingredient in the bar. UGH!!! But I tried it anyway. Just out of curiosity!!! And it is SLIMY, GOOEY mess like high olive oil soap. And someone on this forum( deeanna?) said breast milk contains lots of shorter chained fatty acid ( lauric acid , and something ever shorter chained than lauric acid )so it means it will be an ACTUALLY HARSHER soap and probably will have bad smell like using milk and dairy product. ( butyric acid )

So it is a novelty and up cycle thing for the breast milk mom's family. And if you sell it, THINK ABOUT it TWICE. It's body fluid! Might be illegal.
:headbanging:
It does not make bad soap, it would have been the recipe. It also does not smell in soap, as I stated above it actually made beautiful soap and was given to my niece that gave me the milk and asked me to make it. It soaped better than any other milk I have used, but made no difference in how the soap felt, and I will say I make nice soap :)

It does not make bad soap, it would have been the recipe. It also does not smell in soap, as I stated above it actually made beautiful soap and was given to my niece that gave me the milk and asked me to make it. It soaped better than any other milk I have used, but made no difference in how the soap felt, and I will say I make nice soap :)

Oopsie sorry Carolyn. I did not mean that you sell it. I said that because I bought it without knowing it had breast milk in it. I knew it after it came in and read it on ingredient list. And I meant to say that for others who are selling to take a second thought before you do that like the seller who sold me that. That was unethical. If it's for mom who's breast milk come from, I think it is okay.

And you're right, it is probably the recipe was bad. Her other soaps are just like that.
I should think twice before I open my mouth. :p

I did more reading...

https://www.romper.com/p/is-making-breast-milk-soap-a-bad-idea-11616

Michelle Maffei from All Parenting agreed, warning that "unless you are using your own breast milk or are getting the milk from someone you trust, the person supplying milk could be in poor health and passing on impurities or disease like strep or staph."

Lye monster don't kill strep or staph??? Is it true?

I did more reading...

https://www.romper.com/p/is-making-breast-milk-soap-a-bad-idea-11616

Michelle Maffei from All Parenting agreed, warning that "unless you are using your own breast milk or are getting the milk from someone you trust, the person supplying milk could be in poor health and passing on impurities or disease like strep or staph."

Lye monster don't kill strep or staph??? Is it true?

I find it hard to believe that staph or strep could survive the lye monster. Also I find it hard to believe that person with staph or strep would feel well enough to pump milk anyway. I wouldn't buy it out of somebody's trunk, but then I wouldn't buy a toaster out of somebody's trunk. If you are really interested in trying it, I'd contact a local milk bank and ask if they have any expired milk.

Oopsie sorry Carolyn. I did not mean that you sell it. I said that because I bought it without knowing it had breast milk in it. I knew it after it came in and read it on ingredient list. And I meant to say that for others who are selling to take a second thought before you do that like the seller who sold me that. That was unethical. If it's for mom who's breast milk come from, I think it is okay.

And you're right, it is probably the recipe was bad. Her other soaps are just like that.

I am boggled that a woman sold breasmilk soap without clearly and boldly labeling it. I mean, I'd think the point of it would be label appeal. It's not an ingredient like, say, sodium lactate that soapers like but the general public has no interest in. I'd think the only point of going to the trouble to acquire breastmilk for soaping and then soaping it would be to label it BREASTMILK SOAP loud and proud.

I even swore I would never make soap with breast milk let alone buy it. My niece begged me and she had a lot of frozen milk so I relented. Wow, it soaped nice but I would assume there would be differences in quality.

Wow, that's crazy! I have a 7 month old, so no worries about some strange lady's milk. I didn't think it could be "contaminated" itself, but to survive the soaping process seems extreme. But, hey, I'm no scientist!

It feels no different than any other milk soap, although the milk itself is a bit different. It stays really smooth and creamy when mixed with the lye (frozen) and does not heat or start to saponify like gm can. So I am guessing the fat and sugar content is much lower

I have made some for my sister that was smooth and creamy. I just made some for myself, and holy cow, did it saponify. Might be because the frozen milk I used was from when my son was gaining a pound a week, so there was a wee bit of fat in it. :lol:

Back