Breast Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darker one is 96% breast milk. the other one is50%. OO & Cocoa butter were the other ingredients

1385083868115.jpg

96% breast milk? I didn't think you could make a straight milk soap. Or..a nearly pure milk soap. I'm new to soaping though. How is it? As a soap? Is it like Castile?

toyojiro, those are BEAUTIFUL! you must let us know how they perform!

They turned out lovely looking. Jessie, yes you can make 100% milk soap.

Very neat! Well, this thread was an eye opener in SO many ways…lol.

The thought of using breast milk to make soap would have never crossed my mind, and I had no idea you could make a 100% milk soap. Learning new things every day...:Kitten Love::p

100% milk as in no other liquids like water. will still need oils to make the soap.
in no other liquids.

That's what I assume was meant but the posts aren't completely clear on that point and since milk does have a certain percentage of fat, it can be saponified. SoapCalc even has an entry for milk fat.

Having never seen more than a skin of fat on top of any milk I've produced, I can't imagine skimming off enough for even one bar of soap.

Oh!!! Gotcha! So 100% milk, as in using milk with lye, not using water. Glad that was cleared up. Lol. I thought they meant milk, lye...and that's it. Wasn't sure how that would work, but went with it.

Boobs weren't meant to be a sexual thing, it just turned out that way.

What kind of "decorum and decency" do you expect? I've never seen a mother fling her boobs out in people's faces other than what's actually necessary to feed her baby. If you are looking at something that turns you on and find it inappropriate, then TURN YOUR HEAD AROUND!

Amen. Although I disagree about boobs not being a sexual thing. They are secondary sexual characteristics. It's likely that they evolved as a 'courtship advantage', a signal of high estrogen. They are also sexually sensitive as well.

That said, the idea that a woman should exhibit 'decorum' or 'decency' when feeding her child is fairly silly. We need to get over the idea that breasts are such dangerous sexual signals that they must be hidden or male-behavioral chaos is sure to ensue.

Also, I'd rather use milk from a creature who has consented to give it rather than one that has been made forcibly pregnant and had her baby stolen from her and killed so we can have her milk. So, if I were going to use milk in a soap, I guess I'd rather use the human kind.

Thanks for compliments!

I have tried different ratio and I came to conclusion that I like 50/50 as I can add breast milk after water, lye and oil are well blended so that breast milk is least affected. You can theoretically make 100% breast milk (or any milk) but your milk is more likely to be affected when mixing with lye. I am not a chemist, but you can google and find out what will come out when these two substances are mixed.

Breast milk has 3-4% of fat depending on what you eat. I consider it as super fat.

I also made 50/50, different combination of OO, cocoa butter, and CO. I also used rice bran oil instead of OO, mango butter instead of cocoa butter etc. OO and cocoa butter ones are nice but not so bubbly at 10 weeks.

Yes, breast milk is precious, and making soap is great way of making use of left over.

Try freezing the breast milk first. I used 100% breast milk as my liquid. I put the frozen lump in a plastic bowl and slowly sprinkle lye on top as I stir. Do this in a well ventilated area and keep your face away as it takes a little bit longer to add the lye. The mixture may turn orange but as you stir, that begins to go away.

As anyone who has been on the soap boards for awhile can tell you, some people think it is the greatest thing, others are turned off or embarrassed by it. If those who are grossed out by it would only think of the poor babies and children who have horrible eczema or psoriasis or skin disorders and how it helps them without having to subject their entire tiny bodies to steroids for long periods of time, maybe they wouldn't be so against it. The relief it can give to break that cycle of itching and scratching can be amazing. Imagine please those of you who think this is so terrible being an infant who can't scratch themselves when itchy. How miserable will that little one be...

So, please people...think before you speak.

Latest posts

Back