Breast Milk Soap Experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momstop

Reaction score
I’ve read on a lot of mom boards I follow that people are interested in breast milk soap. I understand however the science behind soap making and I’m not convinced it would have any benefit. That said, I’m a breast feeding mom and I had some spare milk on hand so I figured, what the hell, experiment time!

Made 2 batches exactly the same, one with Goats Milk and the other with Breast Milk, otherwise they’re identical so as to see if there is any differences in the final product. pribably should have done the same scents in hindsight but oh well.
Breast milk was scented with Grapefruit and the Goat milk was eucalyptus and peppermint

I’ll report back in about 4 weeks after the cure to let you know but would love to hear some predictions and feedback on the meantime.

Recipe was as follows:
Rice bran 6%
Coconut oil - 20%
Hemp oil - 11%
Cocoa butter - 9%
Shea butter - 17%
Lard - 20%
Castor oil - 5%
Olive oil - 11%
7.9 oz water
4.4oz lye
4% lye discount | 36% water concentration

Attachments

• A81C1510-B094-4F67-A37A-20BB5FF0A6D9.jpeg
    A81C1510-B094-4F67-A37A-20BB5FF0A6D9.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 5302C6A7-5CE2-4FE4-BD76-0E50351FA43A.jpeg
    5302C6A7-5CE2-4FE4-BD76-0E50351FA43A.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 54232C36-AF28-445B-92D6-F7B6D5BAC709.jpeg
    54232C36-AF28-445B-92D6-F7B6D5BAC709.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 265ADE16-0FE9-47FB-86F5-86895777BA13.jpeg
    265ADE16-0FE9-47FB-86F5-86895777BA13.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 15
In my opinion, there is absolutely no difference. But then I find no difference in any milk soaps other than label appeal and the power of suggestion. :D Yes, I made breast milk soap for a niece of mine, but I will say it did soap nicely.
That’s pretty well what I’m expecting, about the same end result but the nice part is that my hubby has horribly dry and sensitive skin, so if anyone will be able to tell the difference (assuming there is any) it’ll be him. PS I haven’t and don’t plan to tell him which is which... luckily he doesn’t mind being my guinea pig lol

I've made breast milk soap many times for customers. I was always jealous because they got to use it (mmm... sorry, it skeeves me too much to use someone else's milk soap). It looks so much nicer than the other milk soaps I make. I did have one lady order a crazy amount (3 batches = 54 bars). I found out later that her husband showers 3x a day so he was also using the soap. Knowingly using the soap. To each their own! I know if I were a breastfeeding mom, I wouldn't have an issue using my own milk soap on myself or my baby... but I don't think I could use it on someone else. I'll admit to being a bit of a weirdo germaphobe at times. (Weirdo because it's extremely selective, lol.)

Your soap looks quite lovely. I hope you enjoy using it!

Well I’ve now tried both recipes with my tester bars and I have to say, not much of a difference at all. The breast milk one is a bit more creamy and a bit less bubbly in terms of the lather. Both seem to give me about the same amount of softness in terms of how my skin feels after. So there ya go, probably just going to stick to goats milk for milk soaps from now on and save the liquid gold for milk baths if I have spare

Well I’ve now tried both recipes with my tester bars and I have to say, not much of a difference at all. The breast milk one is a bit more creamy and a bit less bubbly in terms of the lather. Both seem to give me about the same amount of softness in terms of how my skin feels after. So there ya go, probably just going to stick to goats milk for milk soaps from now on and save the liquid gold for milk baths if I have spare

Liquid gold is right! I remember those days! :)

@Momstop your soap looks lovely. I met a soaper last week, her baby was with her at a street market, and yes, she makes breast-milk soap. She gave me a sample but I have to say, I’m a little weirded out by it. Have not tried it yet. Two of my daughters are breastfeeding babies right now and have stockpiled their milk in the freezer. If I made it, it would be for their own personal use only. But now that @Momstop has done the experiment for me, I think I’ll stick with goats milk. Thank you for sharing your recipe and results.

Latest posts

Back