Breaking out like crazy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unless i am trying a new bar/recipe, i generally use my lard bars in the shower (face and body).

50% lard
25% oo
20% co
5% castor

I guess its been so danged humid lately... my skin is definitely not loving it. I am going to switch over to a salt bar for now, but is there anything that i could change or add to my recipe to help? Theres nothing wrong with the soap, its the weather and my skin being finicky...and a huge dollop of hormones.

Don’t suggest AC. I break out from that normally lol.

At almost 50, how does one get cursed with regular periods, cramps, hot flashes, night sweats, and zits all at the same time?? LOL.

At almost 50, how does one get cursed with regular periods, cramps, hot flashes, night sweats, and zits all at the same time?? LOL.

Speaking as another almost 50, I think we know the answer. It's coming someday! I have had hot flashes ever since I first started having a cycle, but my mother says they are nothing compared to the "real thing."

Incidentally, I am referring to my impending 50th as my Golden Birthday.

I'm a bit shy of getting to 50 (turned 44 in Feb) but I feel this so.much. Un soap related but I've found Flo supplements to be extremely helpful for managing all of these symptoms. They're a bit spendy, but imo worth it for just the relief they've provided for cramping alone.

Soap related, I have the same skin issues - my face does not like vegan soaps at all, certain seasons my whole body does not like vegan soaps - I've even had to change how I moisturize after washing my face during certain seasons. During winter months I can get by with a cream moisturizer (adding argan oil over it if it's very dry/cold), but during the summer I can only use argan oil. I add a bit of Frankincense EO to my argan oil as [for me] frankincense works great for eliminating cystic acne. My thought is maybe it's not as much the soap as your skin needs some additional support/care to deal with the weather change.

I'm a bit shy of getting to 50 (turned 44 in Feb) but I feel this so.much. Un soap related but I've found Flo supplements to be extremely helpful for managing all of these symptoms. They're a bit spendy, but imo worth it for just the relief they've provided for cramping alone.

Soap related, I have the same skin issues - my face does not like vegan soaps at all, certain seasons my whole body does not like vegan soaps - I've even had to change how I moisturize after washing my face during certain seasons. During winter months I can get by with a cream moisturizer (adding argan oil over it if it's very dry/cold), but during the summer I can only use argan oil. I add a bit of Frankincense EO to my argan oil as [for me] frankincense works great for eliminating cystic acne. My thought is maybe it's not as much the soap as your skin needs some additional support/care to deal with the weather change.
Well, i have Frankincense, so maybe i will add that to some carrier oil 😊

I've been loving my recent discovery... a solid oil cleanser recipe (I also learned how to bookmark so I could save @Zany_in_CO post on an oil cleanser I want to try, but I do really like my solid stick) and a facial cream with willow bark extract and hyaluronic acid, along with other pretty awesome ingredients. Both of the recipes are from the DIY Bath & Body shop on Esty. I've made 2 batches of the cleanser so far and I was surprised how clean my face felt. When I first started using it, as my face dried it felt a wee bit tight but did not get dry or flaky at all. Now I can wash and go and even with out moisturizer my face feels clean and hydrated. I've not had any major breakouts since I've upped my facial regimen, only an occasional episode when it gets to hot and sweaty under my mask.
Since I'm less than a month away from 49, I've tried to be more conscious of the way I treat my face. Its hard for me because it not something that I ever really paid attention to... I just washed with whatever.
I also always have a pump bottle of Jojoba, almond and rosehip oil with some tea tree and frankincense EO in it for emergency situations... especially after I wax my hairy face or get too much sun and to rub all over when I get attacked by mosquitos! I always helps take away the redness and itchiness!

I just turned 70 this year, and over the past 2 years I had horrible perioral acne that also included my nose. By horrible acne, I mean cystic acne on my chin, around my mouth, and on my nose that would never clear. It was strange because I have never had acne, and at my age, I was really mystified. It had nothing to do with wearing a mask, as it started before the pandemic, and I did not wear a mask much since I am retired. I tried a lot of products (including topical antibiotics, retinoids, etc), without improvement, so I finally went to the dermatologist, who was not helpful. I had already tried everything she suggested since I am a nurse and had done a lot of research. I also tried to link eating any particular foods with the breakout, but there was no link I could find. Sometimes eating very acidic foods can cause this kind of break out. In desperation, I ordered products from Exposed Skincare since they had great reviews. My face began clearing after about a month, and in 2-3 months, it was totally clear. I have not continued to use these products since they are a bit expensive, but they worked. I am pretty sure that the salicylic acid products in this line were what cleared my skin. I have since started using Cera Ve face wash with Salicylic Acid without any additional products, and my skin has stayed clear for several months. I have dry, sensitive skin, and this product has not dried my skin nor irritated it. My face is clear and soft. So, I highly recommend this product, although it can be hard to find. I ended ordering it online from Target.

Unless i am trying a new bar/recipe, i generally use my lard bars in the shower (face and body).

50% lard
25% oo
20% co
5% castor

I guess its been so danged humid lately... my skin is definitely not loving it. I am going to switch over to a salt bar for now, but is there anything that i could change or add to my recipe to help? Theres nothing wrong with the soap, its the weather and my skin being finicky...and a huge dollop of hormones.

Don’t suggest AC. I break out from that normally lol.

Because menopause is the most evil beeotch. ( 52 here)

My heart goes out to you! I suffer from adult acne and it got worse with menopause. Actions that have helped me that may help you - use a toner daily for combination skin, use a Neem oil soap, use a charcoal mask that includes tamanu oil and kaolin clay regularly, and limit milk as much as possible. The milk surprised me and I really don't know why it caused me to break out, but I saw a big difference when I stopped drinking milk. I love my dairy products, so this was a tough one. I seem to have no trouble with cheese, thank goodness. I don't mind sharing my recipes for the Neem soap or the charcoal mask, if you are interested. Best of luck!
Oh, my worst problem was severe mood changes. The only thing that has helped with that are anti depressants. Though I don't like taking pills, I wanted some friends left in this world.😊

Peri-menopause visited me at around 39, with night sweats. I actually went and got tested for AIDS because it seemed wise at the time (late 80's) and it did not occur to me that I was old enough for menopause. Eventually (about a decade or so later) I was safely beyond it and glad to stop having to buy those monthly lady products.

I was fortunate in that I had little symptoms; acne breakouts were extremely rare & usually chocolate related; anxiety & hot flashes were also rare. The night sweats only lasted a year or so (I actually don't recall for sure, it could have been a little longer), but gradually diminished. I am not sure of how much the hormonal changes played in my mental stability at that stage of my life, because I also was experiencing some major changes in my life at the time as a recent widow and all that entails.

As far as I am concerned, menopause was an extremely freeing rite of passage in my life, as well as contributing to my own personal empowerment, authority and self-expression, including opening up an even more adventurous aspect of myself than I had already experienced. I became more eminently more confident, probably braver and more fearless; part of that may be age and experience related, but I am sure it all goes hand-in-hand.

I turn 60 later this year and I feel every minute of it. Just wait until your eyes are so bad you have to wear your glasses with a 10x power mirror to tweeze the chin hair.

You mean there is a better way then randomly grabbing at your face with tweezers hoping you eventually get that hair?🤣

Ughhhh........perimenopause....I’m so lucky my husband hasn’t divorced me. All the $h!+ hit me starting around 42..typical in my family. I’ll never endorse an MLM publicly, but there’s a company with a product that has probably saved my marriage. (PM me if you want info, but I give you my word, I will NOT try to convert you! Or sell to you). I only bring it up bc I really felt it helped save me from committing a felony!

Breakouts.....right now, my skin likes my GM oatmeal honey soap, but google “oil cleansing” if you’re not familiar with it. It might help.

BYW, I’m 47 and feeling the light at the end of the tunnel. 😊

Back