Bread Trays for Storage????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody! Just wondering if anyone has tried these for storage?? These were designed for light items. I guess heavy uncured soap might be an issue?? Especially if stacked 10/12 high. Air flow may be another. Have a cheap local source. (my cousin's, friend's, sister's boy friend, who has an uncle.) Currently using metal rack with drawer/cabinet liner over metal. These work well. just take up a lot of room. Thanks.

PS. sorry to have not posted for awhile. Got a new job and reopened my business. Soooo, I have been really busy. But still spending time with the SOAPS. OH YA, got a dehumidifier for my cellar!!! wooo hooo!!! now where did I put that spatula????
bread.jpg

I think essential depot sells bread trays as soap curing racks. I wouldn't overload, just for ease of your use (if you were to have to move them etc.)

Maybe get a few, load them up and visually inspect for any bowing or warping of the plastic.

I have similar trays and hate them. Unless you have a rack to hold them they are a pain in the rear. I have the Essential Depot trays. They hold a lot of soap and do have air circulation but are a pain to switch around and heavy. I have two trays and plan on unloading them or tossing them. They take up space. I prefer shelving that is lined. Easy to cure/rotate as needed.

Thanks for the replies. 1 for, 1 against. The ones from Essential Depot are expensive. I'm looking at $10.00 per tray (used). A wheeler base would be nothing to make. Of course, an open shelving rack. With all your soap on display is nice to look at also. Now I am really confused, doesn't take much now a days.
granny.jpg

I have 4 of the 22x27 size from Webstaurant Store and really enjoy them. Just started making soap about a month ago and already have 11 different batches. They are very sturdy and easy to move around. And I'm sure a rolling base would be even better. When you include shipping, these were about $15 each.

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 49
I use them when I have large wholesale orders. Actually I think mine are dishwasher trays, but whatever, they stack nice and allow air flow. I use the metal utility shelves (I think if you look around the forum you'll find pictures of @shunt2011 's cure rack, that's exactly what I do too) and I can stack two trays on each shelf that way, and still leave room for my regular soaps to cure. It makes it a lot easier when I have to pull the wholesale off the cure rack to package, I can just grab a whole tray and set it at my packaging station.

Hi Everybody! Just wondering if anyone has tried these for storage?? These were designed for light items. I guess heavy uncured soap might be an issue?? Especially if stacked 10/12 high. Air flow may be another. Have a cheap local source. (my cousin's, friend's, sister's boy friend, who has an uncle.) Currently using metal rack with drawer/cabinet liner over metal. These work well. just take up a lot of room. Thanks.

PS. sorry to have not posted for awhile. Got a new job and reopened my business. Soooo, I have been really busy. But still spending time with the SOAPS. OH YA, got a dehumidifier for my cellar!!! wooo hooo!!! now where did I put that spatula????
View attachment 48175

Nothing wrong with them

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am familiar with Webstaurant Store. Only place I found that you could buy just 1. I believe the ones for a dishwasher would be heavier construction. Will have to investigate those too. Found some on craigslist also. Got a direction now. Thanks for posting pics. "blucrsr" .

These Home Depot wire "drawers" are my curing system. I used to have them in their metal frame like drawers but I don't make as much soap now so I just stack them criss-crossed. The frame gives a little more space between "shelves." The price is quite reasonable. (This beer soap was for my nephew's wedding reception which was to be held in a brewery but was cancelled because of COVID.)

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 43
These Home Depot wire "drawers" are my curing system. I used to have them in their metal frame like drawers but I don't make as much soap now so I just stack them criss-crossed. The frame gives a little more space between "shelves." The price is quite reasonable. (This beer soap was for my nephew's wedding reception which was to be held in a brewery but was cancelled because of COVID.)
My only concern with your setup is the contact with metal, which can cause DOS. Even though the wire is coated, it doesn't take much for the coating to erode, esp due to contact with unsaponified lye. I'd put down a layer of freezer paper, shelf lining, or something similar, so the soaps aren't touching the wire directly.

I have never experienced DOS, not saying that this couldn't happen-- especially with those people that I gift soap to who use it as "pouporri" (like my aunt--I found a bar in her bathroom that I gave her about 10 years ago. Not only were there DOS, It was covered with dust, the wrapper faded-- gross! I threw it out and gave her more soap with instructions that it's SOAP-- not pouporri, and that I will make more so she can always have a fresh bar in her BR! But these are good ideas. I should probably invest in some plastic canvas.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought the ones from craigslist. They were $10.00 each. An hour drive. Measure 25" x 27" inside. Kind of big, but will hold a lot. Already drew up plans for a wheeler base. Thanks again.
View attachment 48585
This is what I use. I got it from Lowes for $24 and it works great.

Attachments

• 20200726_130030.jpg
    20200726_130030.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 32
Hi, went to tractor box store. To check out casters for my wheeler base. 4 casters@$10.00 per =$40.00. Instead I bought a moving dollie for $24.95. Going to use it, as is for now. Worst case I still have 4 castors@$6.25 per. For a custom base.
dollie.jpg
ps. Todd that purple soap really sticks out in your pic. Can I ask what it is? Thanks.

Hi, went to tractor box store. To check out casters for my wheeler base. 4 casters@$10.00 per =$40.00. Instead I bought a moving dollie for $24.95. Going to use it, as is for now. Worst case I still have 4 castors@$6.25 per. For a custom base.
View attachment 48629
ps. Todd that purple soap really sticks out in your pic. Can I ask what it is? Thanks.
It's grape FO Lego for kids.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought the ones from craigslist. They were $10.00 each. An hour drive. Measure 25" x 27" inside. Kind of big, but will hold a lot. Already drew up plans for a wheeler base. Thanks again.
View attachment 48585
I use the same stuff! Mine are red lol
My only problem is if you've got several of them filled up, you have to lift the top ones to get to the others lol and they get really heavy.

Unless of course you have a rack where they can slide out.....

Back