Bread proofer for gel phase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishNZ

Reaction score
Hi
I am new at this game and been reading about the gel phase in CP soap. A question - Would a bread proofer be an advantage in keeping soap warm in this stage? The one I have has this range of temps 70-120 °F / 21–49 °C
If so how long would you keep it in the proofer.

I think it would work just fine! How fortunate that you have one. How effective it would be to encourage gel would depend on a couple of things: soaping temperatures to start and the particular formulas for your soap.

For example, when I soap cool with low water, my soap doesn't always gel even when in an oven just a tad warmer than your proofer's highest temperature. But if I soap a little warmer and with a little more water, gel comes easier. So I say, give it a try and report back how it works for you.

Specifically, (a few days ago) I soaped 2 batches at room temperature (76° F) and using [40% Lye Concentration] then CPOP's overnight. They both only reached partial gel. So after cutting I stuck them back in a warmer oven for a few hours and the finished gelling, Then yesterday I made the same recipes again, but with closer to 33% Lye Concentration, soaped warmer to start (about 85-90° F)and they both gelled without difficulty, but still my oven temperature was higher than 120° (about 145° to start, then turned off.)

Thinking on it. The only way I could prove it works or not, would be to try two batches of the same soap and use one as a control and the other in the proofer. Bit difficult with only one mold!

Masterbatch both oil and lye, the split each of them, weighing to be sure you've got equal amounts. Do two batches, back to back, making sure your ingredient temps are the same with both batches. Take lots of pictures and notes, and compare results.

Masterbatch both oil and lye, the split each of them, weighing to be sure you've got equal amounts. Do two batches, back to back, making sure your ingredient temps are the same with both batches. Take lots of pictures and notes, and compare results.

Good idea but I only have one mold unfortunately :think:

Exactly. You make one batch. Unmold it when it's ready. Then use the second half of your oil and lye to make anther batch in that same mold, and do the other half of the test.
Oh I get you! I thought two batches at the same time. Thanks!
I have yet to unmold my first soap....its been 24hrs but I think I'll wait a bit longer, seems a little soft

20170801_155130.jpg

Good idea but I only have one mold unfortunately :think:

Keep an eye out. Now that I'm looking I'm finding a ton of containers have the pp5 recycling symbol on them. Takeout/frozen dinner containers are almost loaf sized sometimes and can get you a few hefty bars for experiments like this idea. Even if you don't want to play with gel you might find the absolutelymostperfectbar/shape/size/design for that one person you need to make a gift for. -anecdotal example, my sister loves the bars I get from the lunchbox sized pringles containers and when I want snacks I get new molds to make her soap. (If you line the full sized pringles can with butcher paper you have another mold option)

Pp5 is lye safe, I don't remember what other numbers might be (I think 2? Or that might just be safe for dry NaOH).

You can use all kinds of things as molds, even cardboard shoe boxes lined with freezer paper. I even used empty tea boxes lined with freezer paper. I put these into the oven one a very low temperature and cover them with a towel for added insulation once I turn the oven off. So you don't really have to wait for your mold to be vacated if you want to test the theory in the proofer.

Here are my thoughts on using a bread proofer. For me, the most important thing about CPOPing soap, is that we're trying to gently encourage gel all the way to the edges, not to cook the soap. Too much heat can cause all kinds of problems. You want just enough, which is the tricky part. I CPOP in a conventional oven set at its lowest setting, 170 degrees. I also preheat my silicone mold in its wooden box in the oven, while I'm making the soap. Then I pour the soap into the prewarmed mold, put it back in the oven, and turn the oven off. I take the soap out and unmold the following morning. This works perfectly for me every time. There are many variables, like recipe, your particular oven, the size of your mold, etc., so it can be different depending on these factors. If I were you, I would preheat your mold in the proofer, pour, put it back in, and turn the proofer off. Don't open the door at all until you're ready to take it out. I would think the gentle heat of the proofer would be just right for insuring gel. But the only way to be sure is to give it a try. Be sure to let us know how it works out. :)

Latest posts

Back