Brand new white soaps turning yellow sticky spots!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I have is a picture of a camera, two photos, a bird, and three dots.. Wth?

Mary White
Southern Simplicity Soaps & More

image.jpg

I go to the fourm from a safari or another browser not the mobile app. If that is how you are doing it

Ok, I found what you were talking about. If you are viewing the forum on the app what I do is go to the left facing arrow on the bottom of the page, click that and click the third icon from the left and that will put you in regular view mode and then your screen will look like the picture.

I was going to buy that lard once but saw that it has several chemical ingredients in it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

DOS spots on white

This is the soap with DOS only on the white, the one beside it is made with the same oils, just different EO and clay colorants.

image.jpg

OK, what EO(s) are you using with the affected batches?

If you are using any kind of conifer, they have a short shelf life and can produce DOS. I have also heard of numerous stories of lavender EO causing DOS but I've never had that problem personally.

From where are you purchasing your EO?

Acronyms?

Obsidian, please tell me there is another way, lol. I am on IPad and not tech savvy. I used EO only, and in the plain bar, there was no fragrance at all. Just lye, water, and lard. Even if it were the EO, why only in the white?

Mary White
?
DOS, EO FO...?

How are us newbies ever going to follow this?

Thanks
Hoaper

"...How are us newbies ever going to follow this?..."

Like you just did -- read and ask questions. :)

DOS: dreaded orange spots, a sign of rancidity in many cases
EO: Essential oil, a product distilled from plant parts -- lavender EO is an example.
FO: fragrance oil, a product that may contain EOs for scent, but often contains synthetic fragrances as well. Can duplicate natural scents (lavender FO, for example) but is often a blended scent much like a perfume ("Opium" dupe FO, for example). (No, you can't use perfumes as FOs -- two different critters.)

Last edited:
I didn't know about conifer EOs having a short shelf life, that's so good to know. So if I made a soap with chlorophyll and an old conifer EO, I'd have DOS before it was poured!

In the DOS Christmas batch batch were Fir, Spruce, Orange, and Cinnamon. The plain white bar, not pictured, were no EO, and it had DOS all over. Strange, though.. I kept a piece of that plain bar, and this is what it looks like now.

Mary White

Looks like DOS to me. Is your lard hydrogenated? It's common to hydrogenate lard to artificially improve what was a poor quality product to start with, it's possible yours has gone bad, even if it still has a long time to its expiration date and still looks and smells fine. Just a day on a hot loading dock could've done it in, for example.

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I would assume so, but admittedly I'm not too well versed on labeling requirements for food products.

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

That was dumb, of course it does. Yes, hydrogenated with BHT and Citric Acid or something added. Maybe BHT. I just glanced. I am going to take a chance and go back to the bucket lard and see if that makes a difference.

Mary White

Update. I have since made two batches, both CP, with Armour lard, in the bucket, and distilled water. No DOS, and it is humid! tornado weather. I think it was the box lard, the Morrell.

Mary White

Maybe your lard is adulterated or contaminated?

DOS shouldn't happen within a week or two. And if you got the same problem in the unscented, the EO is not likely the culprit.

On another note, why is the superfat so low? I'd be leery of such a small margin for error.

I actually just does not deal well with all the extra oil and I have never had a lye heavy soap

Latest posts

Back