Brand-new Portland soaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So pleased to find this forum and all the helpful information. I'm trying to be patient and wait a full 24 hours to unmold my second batch of soap. (Three more hours to go!)

My first question for you experienced folks: Colorants like micas are sold by weight, while directions for use suggest 1-2 tsp per pound of soap. So about how many teaspoons are in an ounce of mica? Thanks!

Welcome! I don't know how many teaspoons are in an ounce of mica. Mica is really, really light. I think that the recommended usage rate is in teaspoons because unless you have a jeweler's scale, one teaspoon would be difficult to weigh accurately.

I buy most of my micas at Nurture soap, and I get the 5 gram sample size. That amount is enough to use for part of a batch several times, or to make a 2-3 pound single color batch or two. The colors I like and use the most I will order an ounce. That comes in a 4 ounce size jar, and depending on how fuffy the mica is, it will be about 2/3 full.

Thanks so much for giving such a clear idea of about how far a quantity of mica will go.

I've got lots to learn and I'm trying not to let my experiments get too expensive. Main thing I'm trying to learn is patience as I wait for my first batch to cure and am about to unmold my second batch!

Welcome, I am just down the road (I-5) from you...mid Willamette Valley. There is an excellent soap supplier in Portland...Shay and Company. Their hours are a bit of a PITA, but I have been very happy with the quality of their ingredients. Just picked up some Cocoa and Shea Butters yesterday morning on my way to work. They don't carry Micas and have a limited selection of FOs/EOs, but I'm fine with that. I also get my Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils from Costco.

I've never actually measured but Google says 6 teaspoons to an ounce...which isn't correct because I just measured and I got 28 level teaspoons. LOL

Here's the thing...it doesn't matter because whatever the recommended usage, your mileage is going to vary depending on your recipe, any fragrance or essential oil you use, the colorant itself and the color you are looking for. And in addition to Micas, you have Clays, Oxides and Pigments that are also sold by the ounce and/or gram. As an example...I made a pound of soap the other day and wanted a 'baby blue'. I don't have any 'baby blue' Micas so .I used just maybe a quarter teaspoon of Electric Blue Mica and then added TD. I made a Chocolate Espresso soap...the FO naturally discolors to a medium brown, but I wanted a darker, more even shade of brown so I added a tablespoon of Hershey's Cocoa and a teaspoon of Toffielious Mica to 2lbs of oils and got a really rich shade of brown.

Welcome, I am just down the road (I-5) from you...mid Willamette Valley. There is an excellent soap supplier in Portland...Shay and Company. Their hours are a bit of a PITA, but I have been very happy with the quality of their ingredients. Just picked up some Cocoa and Shea Butters yesterday morning on my way to work. They don't carry Micas and have a limited selection of FOs/EOs, but I'm fine with that. I also get my Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils from Costco.

I've never actually measured but Google says 6 teaspoons to an ounce...which isn't correct because I just measured and I got 28 level teaspoons. LOL

Here's the thing...it doesn't matter because whatever the recommended usage, your mileage is going to vary depending on your recipe, any fragrance or essential oil you use, the colorant itself and the color you are looking for. And in addition to Micas, you have Clays, Oxides and Pigments that are also sold by the ounce and/or gram. As an example...I made a pound of soap the other day and wanted a 'baby blue'. I don't have any 'baby blue' Micas so .I used just maybe a quarter teaspoon of Electric Blue Mica and then added TD. I made a Chocolate Espresso soap...the FO naturally discolors to a medium brown, but I wanted a darker, more even shade of brown so I added a tablespoon of Hershey's Cocoa and a teaspoon of Toffielious Mica to 2lbs of oils and got a really rich shade of brown.

Hi there, almost neighbor! (Salem area, maybe?) I made my first trip to Shay only 3 days ago and was so excited to find them. I got some castor oil, titanium dioxide, and 3 EOs. I wish they carried micas and more oxides, etc. because shipping makes mail order get expensive unless you're placing a big order.

Sounds like you really understand your colorants. I will probably have to make many many batches to start to understand working with them so well. Whatever will I do with all my practice soaps? LOL!

Hi there, almost neighbor! (Salem area, maybe?) I made my first trip to Shay only 3 days ago and was so excited to find them. I got some castor oil, titanium dioxide, and 3 EOs. I wish they carried micas and more oxides, etc. because shipping makes mail order get expensive unless you're placing a big order.

Sounds like you really understand your colorants. I will probably have to make many many batches to start to understand working with them so well. Whatever will I do with all my practice soaps? LOL!

South of Salem actually, I commute to Tigard. Given how much money I am saving buy not having to pay for shipping for such heavy weight items, I can afford to purchase larger quantities of colorants and scents and save more money.

Back