Brand New. New Advice Quick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie73160

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I posted in the "Introduction" area, but could not get any help there. Perhaps one of you can help me here.

I sure could use some quick tips. I'm going to have an early dinner tomorrow today and then I'd really like to make some soap for the first time.

To tell you the truth I thought about making my own soap when I became disgusted with the increasing soap prices on the coconut soap I had been using. And then recently, I thought about making soap for family members too and creating a little gift box for them as well.

So please tell me if I am prepared. I WANT TO MAKE LIQUID SOAP. I REALLY don't want to make the soap from scratch. So I purchased a 4 oz. Kirk's Original Coco Castile Soap Bar. It contains coconut soap, water, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, & natural fragrance. I plan to grate the bar (after dinner,) while heating one gallon distilled water. I'll remove the mixture, because I'm told it will melt together.

I'm supposed to stir it completely right? And let it set overnight?? Check it again in the morning and stir again. Then add my favorite ingredients??

Is it better to add Virgin Oil or Crisco Oil for skin softening?

Are there a problem with making liquid soap that you know of. I bought these darling containers yesterday to pour the soap in. I did not buy molds.

PLEASE GET BACK WITH ME asap if you can, so I'll know whether or not I'm on the right track. I'm so sorry I didn't find this forum earlier. I just found you yesterday.

Please HELP.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum.

I've never tried to make liquid soap from a bar of soap, but I have heard that it doesn't really work. You are more likely to end up with something not very pretty.

Liquid soap is made using a different method to bar soap and uses potassium hydroxide instead of sodium hydroxide. Just grating a bar of soap and adding water will probably not give you the lovely liquid soap that you are imagining putting in your cute containers!

If you really don't want to make soap from scratch, you are better off buying a liquid soap base from one of the many companies out there. I'm going to let someone else recommend a supplier, as I'm not in America, but if you go to the 'shopping recommendations' forum, there is a heap of web addresses listed.

Becky.

I don't make liquid soap yet either but suggest that you really do a lot of reading and research to completely understand the whole soap making process, the dangers of lye and the safety precautions you must take when working with lye.

You can always make some lovely MP soap bars for family and friends so you don't have to deal with the lye. There are some great bases and molds out there. I think this would make a great gift that your family and friends would love to receive.

Good luck and welcome.

info

I am new but I found a site calledCajun's Candle and soap's they have a page on how to make soaps different types ,you might take a look. delynn

Back