Brand new and already wanting to make my own base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee H

Reaction score
Hello Clean Humans!

So I am brand new to this awesome forum, and to soap making. I had purchased clear glycerin soap and some soap dye and gave it a whirl... I assumed I would have a learning curve but man I put in tee tree and lavender essential oils in but it smells undesirable. I had decided to go with pouring before I fully invested in this hobby.

I was wondering, is there a way to get that clarity in soap so you can carve it into cool things without it having that staple clear soap smell? It was nostalgic for my nose as my mom used to get me soaps with rings or toys in them to prompt me to wash my hands but I never enjoyed the smell of them. My goal is to make my family pretty but also healthy luxurious soap bars for whatever next holiday I get to see them (COVID-19 pending).

I was wondering if the more seasoned community of soap welders has had better results with creating their own base, or if my attempts for clear luxurious soap is a futile effort. I'm really going to be aiming for vegan/vegetarian health conscious ingredients if I take the leap of creating my own base, is that even a realistic option for clear soap?

Summary:
1. Can clear soap not smell bad?
2. Can clear soap be luxurious?
3. Can clear soap be vegan or vegetarian?
4. What is the most luxurious soap base recipe you know of for clear soap or if not just any soap base?

Apologies if these are silly questions as I am just embarking on my journey in the land of soap.

Thank you and Hello!

Hi and welcome. The first and second questions, I can say, absolutely. As far as question number 3, is somehow vague, because it's more of a Yes AND no answer. Soap used to be made from animal fats and kitchen scraps, but now it's a whole new world, full of ingredients, that are not made of animal products. from what I've witnessed, pretty much all soap you buy now, is vegan. Not sure I can help you with your forth question, as I'm technically, new to soaping. I'm sure some of the more seasoned hobbyists can help with that.
Again Welcome.

Hi and welcome. The first and second questions, I can say, absolutely. As far as question number 3, is somehow vague, because it's more of a Yes AND no answer. Soap used to be made from animal fats and kitchen scraps, but now it's a whole new world, full of ingredients, that are not made of animal products. from what I've witnessed, pretty much all soap you buy now, is vegan. Not sure I can help you with your forth question, as I'm technically, new to soaping. I'm sure some of the more seasoned hobbyists can help with that.
Again Welcome.
Thank you for your reply! With my first soap smelling like that I was starting to think that maybe all clear soap ends up with that odor and I was sad haha. Yes, before slaughtering an animal on your farm would have been a part of the process to make soap, ooo boy am I glad I can skip that one! I have some family members that would be more exited if I gave them vegan soap, but I am myself a vegetarian that suffers from too much empathy as it is so I avoid things that make me feel guilty as much as possible especially when it comes to animals, but I do respect people that are able to use animal products as well, we all have our things. What kind of soap have you been dabbling with or planning to dabble with as a new soap hobbyist, and what made you venture down this path? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. I don't know exactly what you mean by "luxurious." If by that you mean abundant lather, then I think you are more likely to get a lot of lather by using a surfactants such as coco betaine and bio terge 804 which is a blend of sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, sodium laureth sulfate and cocamide MEA.
Here is a YouTube tutorial for a homemade base.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-31_9-26-20.png
    upload_2020-3-31_9-26-20.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the forum. I don't know exactly what you mean by "luxurious." If by that you mean abundant lather, then I think you are more likely to get a lot of lather by using a surfactants such as coco betaine and bio terge 804 which is a blend of sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, sodium laureth sulfate and cocamide MEA.
Here is a YouTube tutorial for a homemade base.

Thank you for your reply! That is a great video. I was wondering if you have any opinions on this recipe since you are much more seasoned in soap making, like if there are any holes in it or if you think it should work. I like the simplicity of it with the more so natural ingredients.

Thank you thank you

https://www.diynatural.com/how-to-make-glycerin-soap-base-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-24396

For my part, I find propylene glycol easier to work with than alcohol. My soap made with alcohol did not melt as well as that made with propylene glycol.

Thank you for your reply! With my first soap smelling like that I was starting to think that maybe all clear soap ends up with that odor and I was sad haha. Yes, before slaughtering an animal on your farm would have been a part of the process to make soap, ooo boy am I glad I can skip that one! I have some family members that would be more exited if I gave them vegan soap, but I am myself a vegetarian that suffers from too much empathy as it is so I avoid things that make me feel guilty as much as possible especially when it comes to animals, but I do respect people that are able to use animal products as well, we all have our things. What kind of soap have you been dabbling with or planning to dabble with as a new soap hobbyist, and what made you venture down this path? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!
That's great. I, myself, just decided one day to give soaping a try. took me almost a year and a half to actually get over my fear and jumped in. I'm actually a Photographer, but a stressed out one. The doctor, told me to ease it up a bit, and find a hobby...lol. I just like to soaping. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. The waiting is the hard part.

Where are you purchasing your bases from? I have never really done any MP to my knowledge but I am of a mind that the vendor of your choice may play a part in soap quality.

Thank you for your reply! That is a great video. I was wondering if you have any opinions on this recipe since you are much more seasoned in soap making, like if there are any holes in it or if you think it should work. I like the simplicity of it with the more so natural ingredients.

Thank you thank you

https://www.diynatural.com/how-to-make-glycerin-soap-base-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-24396

Now I haven't made my own MP or clear soap, so I can't comment on that part of the recipe but the first part is enough for me to say it's not a wonderful recipe. Firstly it says vegetable oil (lard, tallow) and those are animal fats. Secondly it gives the lye amount but lets you choose whatever oils you want, whereas the lye amount is dependent on which oils you use

For my part, I find propylene glycol easier to work with than alcohol. My soap made with alcohol did not melt as well as that made with propylene glycol.
Thank you for that little tip! That’s really good info! :) :)

Now I haven't made my own MP or clear soap, so I can't comment on that part of the recipe but the first part is enough for me to say it's not a wonderful recipe. Firstly it says vegetable oil (lard, tallow) and those are animal fats. Secondly it gives the lye amount but lets you choose whatever oils you want, whereas the lye amount is dependent on which oils you use
Huh, I did not know the oils made a difference in the amount of lye. Assuming it’s the chemicals inside the oils make the difference. There is quite a bit of chemistry involved, lots to learn! Thank you I appreciate the heads up!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few recipes out there. Soaping101 has a video:

And I've tried this recipe, but hasn't worked out the way I hoped (yet).
Though I think from the reading I've done most experienced people refer to the video @lsg linked to. It's supposed to be a really good recipe (I haven't tried it yet, don't have all the ingredients)

Making your own melt and pour soap from scratch is quite advanced. I don't know how much CP or HP experience you have, but it's good to be very comfortable with HP soaping before attempting homemade MP.

Latest posts

Back