Brand lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soapmaker Man said:
Man, I think I'll start packaging in 2 pound containers and start selling it at my Etsy store. :wink: I can beat that price for ya all.
:wink:
Paul
You should!! :D

Lane said:
Soapmaker Man said:
Man, I think I'll start packaging in 2 pound containers and start selling it at my Etsy store. :wink: I can beat that price for ya all.
Paul

Just got to thinking, they won't let me. Everything sold on there has to be hand constructed by the seller. Bummer! :roll:

Soapmaker Man said:
Lane said:
[quote="Soapmaker Man":2cttpyxq]Man, I think I'll start packaging in 2 pound containers and start selling it at my Etsy store. :wink: I can beat that price for ya all.
Paul

Just got to thinking, they won't let me. Everything sold on there has to be hand constructed by the seller. Bummer! :roll:[/quote:2cttpyxq]

*Slides a five dollar bill under the table* :lol: :lol:

SouthernEssence said:
Nope nevermind. My local Ace only has Rooto brand drain cleaner made from a lye based formula.

What Ace in Raleigh has 100% lye and how much is it?

I went to 2 different Aces, they both carry 16oz Rooto 100% Lye. I think it is $3 for 16oz.

Here is the address:

6196 Falls Of Neuse Rd Ste 100
Raleigh, NC 27609

or

10930-101 Raven Ridge Rd
RALEIGH, NC 27614

You can sell commercial supplies on Etsy :) And lye is absolutely a supply!

You just have to put your first tag as Supplies, then Commercial

Cara

GreenBeanBoutique said:

Cara

Cool, I did not know they changed the rules. I'll do it then. I just called this morning to get a quote on 200 pounds of Sodium Hydroxide. I can have it in the morning.

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
GreenBeanBoutique said:

Cara

Cool, I did not know they changed the rules. I'll do it then. I just called this morning to get a quote on 200 pounds of Sodium Hydroxide. I can have it in the morning.

Paul

How much do you think you'll sell it for? I usually get 20 pounds at a time.

Ooo, that will give me a good excuse to buy a mold when I'm buying my lye... to combine shipping and all, ya know? :lol:

Soapmaker Man said:
Lane said:
http://members.freewebs.com/index.jsp[/url]

and sell your items with paypal checkout.
the premium membership allows you more pages but it's easy to use, and VERY USER FRIENDLY but it's cheap as well. Their lowest membership is like under 5 bucks a month. Or you can have a free web site, with more restrictions. And then you can also have your own domain name as well, but you need to get that extra, and it doesn't have to be from this site so you can shop around.

I have the premium site that I use for my stuff. I'm trying to edit my site somewhat, and make some major changes to it. But I use more for extra info for my customers about things I sell, but i'm going to be adding more pages for buyers to buy directly.

But anywho just wanted to put the bug in your ear that you can list things on this site that allows paypal checkout.

And it's easy to use.

And they say there is more money to be made in selling the supplies than the actual made up product. So you could be on to something here...... If you chose to take the time to do all the work that goes with it.

If you are looking for Sodium Hydroxide at a big box store, Lowe's generally carries Roebic Crystal Drain Opener that is labeled on the back, "100% Sodium Hydroxide".

Here is a picture of the exact bottle for which you are looking:
hdcrymn4.jpg

Depending on local availability of other options, it could be more expensive than the stuff you can find in bulk, but a good option if you are in a jam or giving soaping a try for the first time.

Thanks!

I know this is old, but I wanted to say thanks anyway.

No lye in Montana. They have a big meth program here, and antihistamines and lye are apparently heavily regulated :shrug:

I did see our health food store has emu oil, though :p Didn't buy it, but good to know it's there, should the need arise

Off to go convo Soapmaker Man :D

Soapmaker Man said:

Paul

Paul, did you ever get the lye? If so, how much is it per pound and how do you package it for transport and storage? I'm just trying to gather my ingredients so I can get started. Thanks.

Be careful shipping lye - Undiluted lye is NEVER allowed to ship via ANY USPS Postal method. US D.O.T. says lye can be shipped in specifically restricted quantities and packagings and with specific labelling as "Consumer-ORMD" goods without hazmat fees, etc. through shippers taht allow this themselves as well. Bulk packagings can ship as 'hazmat' goods only from D.O.T. certifies supplier/shipping sources and only with 'hazmat' agreements with particpating shippers - usually with a 'hazmat' fee of $20 or more per shipment. Hazmat shipments have very strict and specific quantity and packaging requirements. NO lye can ship via ANY air transport as per D.O.T. limitations.

Violating the rules and shipping illegally can result in fines of $5,000 or more. Sellers that are shipping illegally also risk restriction of all sales in the furture to legitimate hobbyists.

Regards,

Thanks for that info, Steve. I think I'll try to find something local.

I buy mine at Lowes:

Roebic, crystal Drain opener. 2 lbs for around $7.50
on the back it says Roebic Crystal drain opener is 100% Sodium Hydroxide, (Caustic soda). Ive been using it from the begining.

I don't want to scare anyone off from ordering lye online -- Just please be sure that whoever you get it from is shipping legally, for everyone's sake.

Keeping shipping leagal for online lye purchases is in everyone's interest.

As to local purchases, the sad fact is that it is indeed hard to find lye locally across the country as retailers do not want any part of the national methamphetamine problem.

That's why all Roebic and Rooto products are now adulterated. Old unaldulterated supplies can still be found in some areas, but be assured that all Roebic and Rooto products currently produced are now mixed with other ingredients, if only a strong blue dye. Any remaining local unadulterated supplies will soon disappear. (I also work for The Home Depot and watched it happen there, too).

Regards,

AAA Chemicals, and others ship in 2 pound containers, legally. I'll look up more info, but i think if you package in 2 pound lots in sealed HDPE plastic jugs, you can ship Ups. I found a reasonable source for the same 2 pound containers Roebic or AAA are using. I'll check more on shipping.....of course legally! :lol:

ETA: Here is the direct link to AAA Chemical's site where he has NO Haxmat fees and ships in the same 2 pound containers I found. Shipping UPS only.

http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/30-pounds- ... droxi.html

And found this about Roebic's sodium hydroxide as cut from their site;

http://www.roebic.com/catalog/clog.htm

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda; lye) and clears tough clogs from pipes and drains. Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener destroys grease and other kitchen clogs and will keep drains clear.

Paul

Summer Bee, What do you mean by Roebic's products are adulterated?
Guess that word is too big for me, I bought some of Roebic's Lye at Lowes, it says 100% Sodium Hydroxide.....
?

jadiebugs1 said:
Summer Bee, What do you mean by Roebic's products are adulterated?
Guess that word is too big for me, I bought some of Roebic's Lye at Lowes, it says 100% Sodium Hydroxide.....
?

Ok I would like to know too cuz I just found some Roebic's 100% Lye at Ace Hardware for $3.00 for 16oz.

Lye availability (sodium hydroxide)

I work also for The Home Depot, inc. and know that the supplies of Rooto and Roebic drain cleaners that we had were pulled and replaced with products containing sodium hydroxide and a blue or pink dye some time ago. Since then, Roebic Heavy Duty Drain Cleaner and the corresponding Rooto product have disappeared from our shelves entirely (at least in NY state).

I searched for and found an MSDS statement for the Roebic product online, but it was dated from mid-2004, so would not reflect more recent changes.

I spent some considerable time on the phone today finding a number that actually works at Roebic Laboratories (!!) and finally connected with the right people there. They said that the Roebic Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener that is now sold is indeed 100% sodium hydroxide an contains no dyes or other adulterations.

Sodium hydroxide, while not a controlled substance (it is one of the most widely used chemicals in the world for many, many industrial and commercial uses), is of great concern to many US states, including New York where I am located) due to its use in the manufacture of illegal drugs, and therefore has become almost impossible to find in many states or localities.

At Summer Bee Meadow, we continue to sell and ship sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide legally and responsibly for the benefit of soapmakers, biodiesel makers and other legitimate users who can't find it in their own local areas. We were the first to use an online "lye release" statement to ensure that buyers realize their risks and responsibilities before buying hydroxides (this has since been copied - often verbatim - by other online merchants).

Our aim is to ensure that this essential ingredient continues to be available to soapmakers and other legitinate users. Based on my discussion with the representative at Roebic Labs today, I would say that if you can find the current Roebic Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener in your local market, by all means go ahead & buy it. (Just be sure that it is indeed 100% sodium hydroxide and consists of clean white beads without colorants added). For those who live in areas that don't offer this product, we will continue to sell and ship sodium hydroxide online.

Regards,

Back