Brand lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was trying to read the back of the packages at Home Depot, and didn't find a drain opener that said it was 100% lye. It said it contained lye... but no other info.

Does anyone know if Zep 10 minute drain opener is okay?

Any good brand names?

Thanks,
Cara

It should say 100% Sodium Hydroxide. I wouldn't use it unless it states that. Maybe someone here knows for sure about the Zep brand and can help you out better!!

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't want to bother with it until I know. I'm not coming up with much on line, just stuff for biodiesel

The item # is ZCRY2

I might just have to order online

Thanks!

No drain cleaner is ok. You have to get 100% sodium hydroxide. I've never been able to find 100% lye at the big hardware stores. I order mine online.

Here is a fantastic online source for sodium hydroxide! I know several who have ordered from them. If I could not buy locally in the 50 pound bag I would order from him in a second! :D

http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/5-pounds-t ... roxid.html

It is still on sale too! 8)

ETA: For 8 pounds with shipping to me in SW MO, it came to $30.00 or $3.75 per pound. FYI :wink:

Paul.... :wink:

I just recently found some at the local menards about 3 hours from where I live on a trip taking my son to the dr.

The front says crystals of household 100% Lye
Drain Opener

It was three something for a 16 oz bottle.

Going to check out Pauls link to see if i can get it there cheaper while figuring the cost of shipping in.

editing to add that even if it's advertised for bio-diesel it's ok to use if it's 100% sodium hydroxide they are just trying to market their product to another audience of people. Other than plumbers and soapers......

Certified Lye

Certified Lye

6.25 lbs of food-grade lye, for $21.81 ($3.49/lb) — shipping/handling fee for Air Priority Mail is approx $10 and a little change. It's a flat rate. I live in Detroit, and they're in Cali. I ordered this last Thursday evening, my order shipped on Friday morning (1/11), and arrived at my door this morning, at 9:30AM.

Re: Certified Lye

NEASoapWorks said:
Certified Lye

6.25 lbs of food-grade lye,

somehow i just can't bring myself to trying lutefisk. My grandmother would roll over in her grave if she knew, because she loved the stuff. But they say if you don't smell it cooking it isn't so bad. I just can't take that kind of risk...... I've heard to many people say it's 'nasty'...... So i'll stick with the meatballs......... LOL

Lutefisk is a traditional dish of the Nordic countries made from stockfish (air-dried whitefish) and soda lye (lut). Its name literally means "lye fish", owing to the fact that it is made with caustic soda or potash lye.

NEASoapWorks said:
Certified Lye

6.25 lbs of food-grade lye, for $21.81 ($3.49/lb) — shipping/handling fee for Air Priority Mail is approx $10 and a little change. It's a flat rate. I live in Detroit, and they're in Cali. I ordered this last Thursday evening, my order shipped on Friday morning (1/11), and arrived at my door this morning, at 9:30AM.

NEA, where did you buy yours from? It wasn't AAA, was it?

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
NEASoapWorks said:
Certified Lye

NEA, where did you buy yours from? It wasn't AAA, was it?

Paul

Paul, click on the link in my original post — "Certified Lye".

NEASoapWorks said:
Certified Lye

I am ordering from them right now. Though shipping is 12.00 and I only need three pounds...

Lane said:
NEASoapWorks said:
Certified Lye

I am ordering from them right now. Though shipping is 12.00 and I only need three pounds...

That's about right — there's a $1.39 handling fee. The $10 and some change was just the shipping.

I paid about the same amt for shipping — $10 for 2lbs of technical grade lye and a little over $10 for shipping from the Chemistry Store (they're closer than Cali). It took about 4-5 days (not including the weekend) before I got my order. Plus, I had to fill out and fax a hazmat form.

I buy mine at a local chemical supply store. I pay less than $1.00 per pound in 50 pound bags. Check there. Look up "Chemicals" in the yellow pages online and see what pops up in your area. Give them a call and see if they stock sodium hydroxide. Pool chemical suppliers stock both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide for pools sometimes.

Paul

NEASoapWorks said:
Lane said:
NEASoapWorks said:
Certified Lye

That's about right — there's a $1.39 handling fee. The $10 and some change was just the shipping.

I paid about the same amt for shipping — $10 for 2lbs of technical grade lye and a little over $10 for shipping from the Chemistry Store (they're closer than Cali). It took about 4-5 days (not including the weekend) before I got my order. Plus, I had to fill out and fax a hazmat form.
I just increased my order to five pounds since the shipping staid the same. :D It came to about $30 for five pounds...I was paying about 25.00 w/shipping for TWO. So I'm pretty happy with $30 for 5lbs. :D

Man, I think I'll start packaging in 2 pound containers and start selling it at my Etsy store. :wink: I can beat that price for ya all.
:wink:
Paul

Back