Brand lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much "BEE" for all that work you put in to answering our questions......MUCH appreciated! I never DID L@@K into that canister of Roebic Lye yet....will do that right now.....All I know is that I was the happiest camper this side of the Mississippi when I found it at Lowes!!

BRB.....

whew!!! it's WHITE! Thank goodness....

Lye

Hi everyone. Are there any Aussies out there that can help with buying Lye here?? I found some from our Soap Suppliers here but would like to know if anyone buys it from the hardware stores Eg. Bunnings. Thanks

Lowes sells Roebic brand drain cleaner. It's 100% (or as close as it gets) NaOH. It's as good as the industrial grade stuff I order.

A 2 pound plastic can costs $8, or $4 per pound.

You can buy a 50 pound bucket from Utah BioDiesel for ~$120 shipped which is ~$2.50 per pound (including shipping) and you get a heavy duty 5+ gallon bucket.

SouthernEssence said:
NameThatCandy said:
I got mine at Ace Hardwares store.

REALLY??? That's good to know since I live about 15 miles north of Downtown Raleigh. We have an Ace in Louisburg. I'll call them and see if they have it too.

I get mine at Lowe's... It is the Roebic brand and I pay 7.00 something for it...

I bought my lye through Essential Wholesale for pretty cheap. 25 lbs for $38 and some change.

Only problem with them is that they only have direct pickup on lye, so you have to be in the area.

ok here is my 2cents....I buy at a local hardware store ( the old time kind) and they sell rooto and it says 100% lye in a 16 oz plastic container for around 3.50...but, I was able to purchase it at my local groc. store for around 2.50 and the manager is willing to sell it by the case if I'd like to place an order....This is the reason why when I started doing soap I only wanted a recipe that used 16 oz of lye (silly me) :oops: now Im not as worried about the storage!!and last but not least most of our tractor supply stores carry it ( Im in alabama)

I'm in WV. The only place I can find lye here is in an old True Value Hardware store (the mom and pop kind that are rapidly fading away), it's in a little dead town a few miles from here. It is 3.49 for a 16 oz can. They also offered to order me a case if I so desire.

Walmart doesn't sell it here and our Lowe's quit selling it because people kept stealing it.

ilovedoxies said:
I'm in WV. The only place I can find lye here is in an old True Value Hardware store (the mom and pop kind that are rapidly fading away), it's in a little dead town a few miles from here. It is 3.49 for a 16 oz can. They also offered to order me a case if I so desire.

Will they give you a discount on the case? You can also order from Boyercorp in 2 lb cans for well under $3 per pound delivered.

He said he would give me a price break on a case, but I don't make large batches and I have nowhere to store it. I looked at Boyercorp, do you have to call for pricing and to order?

I found (What I think are good) good prices for both Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide at NuScent Candle...

Back