Branching out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, it's cured. Did my first wash and first impression was, soooo much better than 100% lard. Will not go back if experiences beyond first wash are like this or better.

Lathers up easily and quickly, bubbles hold really well, scent seems to hold better, I really am not seeing a downside to the new make recipe so far.

My recipe is very similar. I love it. Just love it.

However, leave yourself open to new experiences! I am just now trying a batch that I substituted half the lard amount with Great Value Shortening (palm/tallow), and it is absolutely amazing! The lather is "cushiony" for lack of a better word. You never need to get so set on one recipe that you don't try new things. You can always learn something. Sometimes you learn that the new recipe is awesome, sometimes you learn that it isn't. Either way, you learn something.

Ground cinnamon and clove are not as potent as an EO, but it's still a irritant to the skin. Especially for someone with sensitive skin and neither regions. Hot hot hot as hell...

(Read that from here, there might be a recommended usage rate )
( though I have no experience with clove, and I use a sprinkle of cinnamon from the shaker bottle for soap. It's smell still shines through EO blend. And kind of overpowering at first. )
I have now used this soap. Seems to work well and no irritation. Worst part is that when vigorously lathering, it makes brown-ish bubbles. Also has a gritty feel to it, but not too bad.

I like it, not my favorite soap, but decent.

...You never need to get so set on one recipe that you don't try new things. You can always learn something. Sometimes you learn that the new recipe is awesome, sometimes you learn that it isn't. Either way, you learn something.

Always, I'm just saying 100% really has no benefits unto itself that I can see. I'll try motor oil if it would make good soap.

I have now used this soap. Seems to work well and no irritation. Worst part is that when vigorously lathering, it makes brown-ish bubbles. Also has a gritty feel to it, but not too bad.

I like it, not my favorite soap, but decent.

Glad it worked for you. Maybe it's just my cinnamon being way to potent?!

Always, I'm just saying 100% really has no benefits unto itself that I can see. I'll try motor oil if it would make good soap.

It won't make good soap it it can even be done. See this from Kevin Dunn: http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/cavebook/chsoap3.html

A couple of years ago I read about a group of people who tried making soap from biodiesal oil (or it's byproducts? I don't recall exactly.) The videos were interesting and the methods they were using looked rather dangerous. The soap itself looked like a solidified oily mud to me. It was most unaesthetic looking soap I'd ever seen. I can't find it now, so maybe the site's gone or my search parameters are not correct.

I'm sure you were joking, though. The very idea of motor oil in soap is yuck.

Latest posts

Back