Brambleberry says different (lye/water ratio)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty_Boots

Reaction score
I did all the calculations to determine my lye/water ratio for this new soap twice..

907.18g oils, 5% superfatted

Castor Oil: 5%
Coconut Oil: 11%
Babassu Oil: 11%
Sal Butter: 12%
Shea Butter: 5%
Olive Oil: 56%

Hand calculated, my lye/water ratio should be: 139.54g lye/302.21g water
Brambleberry is saying: 123.12g lye/299.37g water

That's a big difference in lye.. What's up?

When I type it into soapee I get 123.9 g of lye to use. Either way its <2% difference in lye amount which is covered by your SF.

What SAP values are you using?

I did all the calculations to determine my lye/water ratio for this new soap twice..

907.18g oils, 5% superfatted

Castor Oil: 5%
Coconut Oil: 11%
Babassu Oil: 11%
Sal Butter: 12%
Shea Butter: 5%
Olive Oil: 56%

Hand calculated, my lye/water ratio should be: 139.54g lye/302.21g water
Brambleberry is saying: 123.12g lye/299.37g water

That's a big difference in lye.. What's up?

what SAP values are you using for your oils? I put your recipie into Soapee and it agrees with the BB calculator.

WELL! Hahaha there's the problem! I somehow managed to use the wrong sap value for EVERY SINGLE oil... I must have mixed them up when reading off the page.. lol

If you do the calcs by hand ... my advice is to create a spreadsheet to keep track of all the numbers. I'd never make a decent batch of soap by hand if I had to do the calcs entirely by scratch!

I do the calcs by hand and always check with an online lye calculator.. I was just not thinking to check my SAP values.. but all that means is that I know what to verify next time because this will be ingrained in my brain! :)

If you do the calcs by hand ... my advice is to create a spreadsheet to keep track of all the numbers. I'd never make a decent batch of soap by hand if I had to do the calcs entirely by scratch!

I do love spreadsheets.. I'm going to make one while my lye mixture cools! ^_^

Back