BrambleBerry policies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clarifying

I'm curious what their response was to the leaks in shipping and missing items. People have said that they got the coupon code thing but she says they do not do this. I was seeking clarification on that point. She said the coupon code is only for returns. What did they do with your complaint?

I'm not unhappy with Peak. I was just stating the shipping can seem high from one place and not another depending on your distance from the company. I would also add that the person whose $500 order came to you instead of them was probably not very happy with Peak.

Brambleberry ALWAYs replaced what was broken or missing from the order and sent it out right away. It was frustrating because it got to the point where I could never count on receiving an order without some kind of problem and added delivery time. The mistake in the $500. order was from Brambleberry not Peak. I called them & they had it picked up right away.

I do think Brambleberry is trying to fix these problems. It's just hard to count on them again.

It's just such a shame. They seem like a great company, with nice people and fantastic products. I love that they show how the FOs react in CP soap, and post both positive and negative reviews. If I could count on them shipping my product quickly, I would order from them almost exclusively. But the last time I ordered from them and a couple of other suppliers, I received my other orders before BB even shipped theirs. I truly hope they can improve this. I would love to order from them more often.

For the record. My fo's from them are love em or hate em, but I will say the quality is excellent. There's another supplier I have made several purchases from that I think, personally, their fo's smell for the most part cheap. They remind me of the cheap vials of potpourri liquid you'd get at Michaels, or worse a dollar store or something. They smell off and cheap. Bb has never had that problem. I'm very picky about fo's, and dont like a ton honestly, so my not liking some bb fo's isn't a knock against them, because I know how picky I am. They also have wonderful pics of behavior in cp soap, they have excellent descriptions compared to other companies, and negative reviews stay up, and I respect that.
They have some wonderful qualities most others don't have.

Yes, someone mentioned fast shipping in December, and I received my 2 fo's faster than ever from them in December. It was 5 days from Washington to here, but that isn't their fault, and I know this. What is their fault is 4 days plus on leaving the warehouse, and this is bad practices imo. In December, however, it left the next day after ordering!:shock:
So I think they're working on that and probably heard through the grapevine many aren't pleased with slow shipping out from the warehouse. This is a very good thing, to see improvements in this area.

There's one worker there that I've sent requests into and such, and she's just awesome. Never been passive aggressive, and she's always quick to respond and so helpful. I really love dealing with her. If you've spoken to a customer service member there on an order, you've probably dealt with her, and I just love her.

The other lady that sent the weird message to me seemed so off, but it probably wasn't intentional. I didn't like the tone nor the oh no, disappointing for sure...whew! bit. I'm not in kindergarten lady lol. I did wonder at first if bb was sick of people stating their things were damaged, and she as well, and the company was being condescending because they didn't believe me or something, like they're sick to death of people accusing them of damages, or something like that. But again, I came to the conclusion this was probably not on purpose, and it was just someone not really thinking clearly on a mature and more helpful response at the time.

Now, they do NOT offer a replacement "on damages", but maybe it's an option and they aren't telling us outright??? Like, they offer a coupon, and you have the right to decline and ask for a replacement... but to cut down on loss they first offer the coupon. I'm starting to get this impression from their response to you newbie, and someone else said something on smf somewhere that gave the same impression. Either way, I'm not ordering a secret menu on in and out burger or something. Secrets to a replacement or misleading by first offering a coupon isn't good practices. O f course I'm sure they replace missing items, but damaged items were never once offered to be replaced.

Second, the blame on transit isn't cool. Broken glass yes, but the fo has been shoved in thick foam that molds to its shape, and has another pack of molded foam on top. It's impossible to damage a fo in transit from bb, unless someone stomps the package or runs over it or something. Now, I've learned in the past to hold the lid down very tight and with the other hand remove the electrical tape slowly. If you don't, the lid can fly off with the tape lol. So, after I sent pics in and got the response, I went to remove the lid. Holding tightly, I slowly removed the tape while pinching the lid down in place, very hard mind you. The tape was removed, and I went to inspect the bottle. I tried to torque the lid on, and it moved a good rotation to sealed! It hadn't been sealed! It wasn't on all the way, period. It was an error on the employee, not on the shipping, and that's a fact, so they shouldn't always blame shipping. It may be shipping fault on other items that sit below the foam in the box, but a lid not twisted on all the way wasn't the fault of FedEx or whoever.

Finally, the coupon thing isn't a good fix, period. What they should do for leaked fo or preservatives is this.
1. Offer a sample sized vial to replace leaks. Close to half the bottle or more leaked, replace it! My leaks weren't that bad, so a sample size would be perfect.
If the shipping on bb end isn't cost effective for these options...then
2. Offer an option, a coupon OR to put those 5$ back on my credit card! I want that money back, not invested into them again, necessarily. If this takes too much time in customer service with email correspondence and back and forth issues, then
3. Just refund me those 5$ back onto my credit card, and don't offer coupons at all.

If mica spilled or other flaky things spilled everywhere, a full refund or replacement would be better than a coupon, and if it sprinkled just a little mica or something a partial refund or full refund is best.

I'm just trying to say an automatic coupon isn't good practices, and it's my opinion they should rethink that practice.

I haven't stopped shopping there permanently or anything, but I have rethought what I will get and won't get and why. The shipping is very pricey and I buy my oils in bulk now, as well as found cheaper lye. I get fo's, and I pray they don't leak because I really don't want another coupon as a replacement.

I'm not cheer-leading, Reinbeau. I laid it on the line with issues that are problematic and told them straight up their reputation suffers, they lose customers, and I among many others do not agree with practices. I think a company deserves the right to know how to improve. I was sharing the response because it differed from what people said they experienced and I was wondering what people would have to say. It's been very enlightening. I don't know how much they are actually trying to improve because I'm not inside the company.

They have pros and cons and people weigh them out for themselves and decide. I am not trying to influence people to shop with them. I am interested in the difference between my experience and others and the difference between what they say and what others have had happen.

I did not bring up shipping costs. I asked them about processing times. Some people are happy to wait for a company that has slower service, like Daystar as one example, and others not. I guess I don't see this topic as controversial at all. I brought it up because I have been surprised about it and wanted to dig further.

I meant their sunshiny responses - and I brought up shipping charges because I know they're exorbitant. We all have our own knowledge and experience to bring to this discussion, is my main point, some seem to need to defend them when they've had only good experiences with them. Those who live close have fewer complaints, it seems, than those of us who live clear across the country. It does seem as though they improved shipping practices this past holiday season, good for them - better than the past two seasons which were an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully they can clean up the other areas they are lacking in.

One can hope. This coupon code gets my goat, I must say. I saved my response from Tina should I ever have problems with leaks etc...

I know WSP recently had their disastrous fall-out from their sale bringing in more than they could readily handle. I keep an eye out to see if places change according to complaints or problems.

There's one worker there that I've sent requests into and such, and she's just awesome. Never been passive aggressive, and she's always quick to respond and so helpful. I really love dealing with her. If you've spoken to a customer service member there on an order, you've probably dealt with her, and I just love her.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Carla and Megen are both really sweet and helpful....

I do sometimes wonder about the reality behind that sparkly BB exterior. The company evidently does have some operational issues and the two more senior CEAs are probably sick to death of the complaints re slow shipping, breakages and incorrect orders! I ordered some soap stamps a while back and was sent two completely different ones. I'm thinking wow they must be really overwhelmed for someone to do that.....

Last edited:
=reinbeau;486292 I've run a distributorship and used many forms of shipping. Other companies from the same area DO NOT charge as much as they do.
Just jumping in here to say 'ditto' to this statement..been in all forms and areas of shipping for many many years, and I too know when a comp is making some money off the shipping. Maybe not intentionally, or maybe on purpose, I do not know..but anything over regular postal shipping rates inside the US is profit.

I think they may have their store set up to automatically calculate international shipping charges maybe, instead of configuring for individual USA states + International..that's alot of work on a website {dont ask how I know :p}

If not, then they are just charging wayyyyy too much. I've ordered products all over the world, and never saw those kinds of shipping prices..certainly not in the US...unless they are gouging for more profit..which sadly, some comps do and can get away with it....and those are the comps I refuse to order from..I can 'always' find better {or just as good} for less.

ETA: Just did a test order..I could ship the exact same thing to them for less than 7 bux using ground or priority mail and get it to them within a few days.

8 oz Apricot Freesia Fragrance Oil

x1
Ground $8.50
2nd Day Air $20.92
USPS Priority Mail $14.00

x2
Ground $8.50
2nd Day Air $22.79
USPS Priority Mail $17.95

Last edited:
When you say ground, do you mean UPS? I think you can't use USPS to compare because they can't use the USPS because of the hazardous material issue. I was also wondering if that designation, the hazard issue, plays in at all. I have no idea. I know my lye costs an awful lot to ship, but it's heavy for one, and it's hazardous, for another. I don't know if or how that might affect costs (for all suppliers).

Tobacco bay leaf bb
Flash Point:*This medium-flashpoint oil (188ºF) cannot ship via USPS regardless of the shipping method you choose at checkout.*
Now check this link to usps and tell me why it can't ship usps
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm#ep898876
And here
For flashpoint above 141º F (60.5º C) but not more than 200º F (93º C):

General

Permitted in domestic mail via air or surface transportation.
Primary Receptacle

The capacity of the primary receptacle must not exceed 1 gallon.
Only one primary receptacle is permitted per mailpiece.
Absorbent and Cushioning Material

Enough absorbent and cushioning material must surround the primary receptacle to prevent breakage and absorb all potential leakage.
Secondary Packaging

The cushioning and primary receptacle must be packed in a securely sealed secondary packaging.
Outer Packaging

Strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely holding the primary receptacle, cushioning material, and secondary packaging is required.
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_011.htm

I must be missing something here, but by my readings, their fo's can ship usps.

Maybe I'm missing something here???

My read on that is that primary receptacle would mean one bottle.

"Only one primary receptacle is permitted per mailpiece." WOuldn't that mean that you would not be able to ship, say 3 x 8 ounce bottles?

You're probably right. I was not positive, but at first glance it seemed like you could ship it. The technical terms got me, though, so I wasn't positive, and if fact wanted to do a thread for some help on this matter exactly. I just wasn't real sure.

That wording sounds like you could have one large bottle (the primary receptacle) and some smaller bottles (primary implies there can be a secondary), as long as the primary was not larger than a gallon. Businesses probably don't want to touch this one. Too complicated to figure out if a package can go USPS or not and if they had an issue and it was sent improperly, they could probably be fined and their insurance wouldn't cover them. Just my guess.

Last edited:
I used to order from Brambleberry regularly. However, I have not ordered from them in over 2 years. Shipping was always high from BB, but it really escalated a couple of years ago. I live on the east coast and the shipping from Brambleberry is the highest that I have ever encountered from any supplier anywhere. My last several orders also took so long to reach me that I just gave up on BB as a supplier. Everything from them always arrived in immaculate condition. It was really just slow turnaround time for me, but mostly insanely high shipping costs that stopped me from ordering again.

When you say ground, do you mean UPS? I think you can't use USPS to compare because they can't use the USPS because of the hazardous material issue. .

I specifically chose that particular FO for my test because it didn't have that flashpoint info on there, which means it 'can' ship USPS {which is new btw..last time I checked their FO's I didn't come across that..or just wasn't looking for it idk.}

That being said, this is a first for me to ever see something like FO's listed as a hazardous material..I can understand 'lye'..but..FO's? This may be something BB has decided on it's own to do..I don't have that kind of issue with any other suppliers

What would be the point of picking 2 day air with BB? I payed Amazon extra for 2 day shipping, however they waited 4 days to ship it. I was refunded my money when I made a complaint.
I have been kicking myself recently though because I have been ordering from BB and NG, paying a lot for shipping for a year and I just found a place here in Texas called Starrville that would cost me nothing in shipping, and their FO,s are really inexpensive. I havent ordered from them as I am WAITING on an order from BB.
I cannot find any reviews on Starrville though and that concerns me.

Dana, maybe try Mikes Fragrances and more..He's in Dallas, and has a flat shipping price of $6.50 right now and his FO's are inexpensive too

http://mikesfragrancesnmore.com/index.html

I've had excellent success with the FO's I have gotten, some other members not so much, but as with any supplier, until you order and get samples, its kind of hit and miss..but he will work with you until you are happy..and tht's a + with me :)

I have a post or 2 here where I posted my results and with which FO's from Mikes and so has JustBeachy.

I've never heard of Starrville but I will check them out.

Well, I always enjoy an open invitation to give feedback and I think it would be worthwhile for the people who have been offered credit for damages to email this lady, see what comes of it. If they are claiming policies they are not following, I think holding their feet to the fire a bit is a good thing. I hope people will email her with specifics and let us know what happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope! Don’t mind your questions at all.

It’s possible that our reps place the option for credit in the first part of the sentence and then the replacement in the latter part of the sentence. If someone was reading our emails from their cellphone, it might look like just an offer for credit. Of course, I hope that people are reading all of our emails but that is in a perfect world. I’ll talk to the women about word choice and positioning.

I urge you to give my work email directly to those who are saying that they were never given a replacement option. That email is [email protected] and this goes directly to me. Without specifics, I have nothing I can talk to my people about so that they can change specific behaviors.

Thanks again for your observations!

Tina

Bramble Berry Soapmaking Supplies
Customer Experience Manager

I received an order from BB yesterday. I have one coming tomorrow. They seem to now be using UPS. They are also taping their FO bottles differently so as not to leak. These are the FASTEST orders I have received in 3 years! I was delighted as I need these things for a special order. I ordered & received my items in a week. Granted I am only west of Denver. Even though I have had way too many problems with them in the past, Tina has always replaced any items I had a problem with. I was never offered a credit.

I have to say - I do think they are trying.

I agree. I believe they are trying. However, I live much closer to them, and I don't necessarily know what good shipping costs are. I bought over 5lb of goods and it shipped for $12. I didn't think that was horrendous, but maybe that's only because I am closer. I ordered a few things a while ago. I orders from SoapersChoice, WholesaleSuppliesPlus, and another store on a Wednesday -- estimated time of arrival was Tuesday of the following week. I ordered from BrambleBerry the day after, on Thursday. I don't remember what the estimated time of arrival was, but I was surprised to receive it first! It showed up on Monday, the day before any of the other ones came. SoapersChoice and the other store's goods arrive as predicted. WholesaleSuppliesPlus... well, it was 2 weeks before I got what they sent me. Silly me, I turned right around and ordered again! It took them 3 weeks to get me the next order.

I understand the coupon thing, though. It's like, "how can I make the customer happy without losing the money they already gave me?" I once had a dilemma where someone ordered something that I didn't have in stock. My first thought was to refund the money, cancel the order, and apologize for my mistake in inventory. A friend of mine, who I had confided in, said, "Don't do that! You have the money. Do whatever you can to make them happy without giving that up. See if they're willing to take two of this or two of that!" However, that situation was a little different. I do believe damaged items should be replaced. When a customer makes a purchase, it's with the expectation of a properly working/functioning item as described.

Back