Brambleberry FO sale

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a touch of Honey Beeswax on my nose when I first got it. It is so strong and having it right on your nose is practically torture. It does smell just like the name, as Dixie said, at least OOB and also aired out.

I really like the Frankincense & Myrrh Cybilla,

Just wondering if you blend the F&M with anything songwind? I'd like to try some blends with mine but not sure where to start?

My faves:
baby rose
cinnamon sugar - smells terribly edible
pure honey - this one does smell just like honey
jasmine dreams
lavender fragrance
lilac - very strong
pink grapefruit - great because it doesn't discolour
sensuous sandalwood
yuzu

I just bought some champagne - can't wait to soap with it. It smells drinkable!

I wanted to try a few fragrance oils but when I ask the girl ON LINE she said to add the water with the lye and oils to see how much frangrance to do. That shock me because I've always just done the base oils to make a decision on how much to add. Was she wrong?

Since people vary how much water they use but the oil weight stays the same, most people calculate how much fragrance per pound of oils, or ppo. I have not looked at BB's FO calculator to see how it's set up, but it's more consistent to do ppo than per batch weight.

I soaped Butter Mints last night. Soaped easily and smells like mint with a touch of chocolate in it. It's nice but I can't speak to holding power.

I wanted to try a few fragrance oils but when I ask the girl ON LINE she said to add the water with the lye and oils to see how much frangrance to do. That shock me because I've always just done the base oils to make a decision on how much to add. Was she wrong?

I just looked at their blog and found out that BB bases their FO usage rates on the total batch weight of soap, which includes the water amount. Compared to other fragrance calculators, BB seem to be unique in doing things this way. I'm not sure why, though. Under the blog entry there is a section for questions/comments, and in the very first question, someone wrote in to ask them about why they figure the FO usage rate as per pound of batch weight instead of PPO, and I thought-'Oh good- I'll get the answer as to why they do it that way!', but BB totally skipped right over it without addressing at all, but they did answer other subsequent questions that were asked. :confused:

Ditto what Newbie said^^^ I (as well as countless others) base the FO/EO usage rate on oil amount only. I've always done it this way since oil weight stays the same, while much of the water in soap evaporates during cure. Because of that fact, it would seem that if you base the FO amount on the total weight including the water amount, that you may very well end up with a overly scented soap.

IrishLass :)

I don't like using the PPO measure. I much prefer using a % of total oil weight. I know it is basically the same thing - but I measure everything in grams so having to convert ounces and pounds to grams and back is a pain in the ass. That being said - I would not base anything on total batch weight. Water is too much of a variable.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the FO at BB. The quality of their products brings me back even with shipping from Washington State to Fl.

I've always wondered if the BB calculator was based on total batch weight.

The way it was written in the calculator, I guessed that it included the water, lye and other additives. I'll give you a reason why I think that's actually better (in some cases)

When we look at maximum fragrance usage rates, we're looking at the maximum dilution in the whole batch. If you're looking only at the oils, you're missing about 30% of your total batch weight and your calculated maximum amount based on oil % would actually be lower than the true maximum.

I was reading a manufacturing book on soap once and I believe the soaps are pressed (milled) until they have a moisture content of less than 15%.

Sometimes, when usage rates are low, I will incorporate all ingredients (lye, oils, water, salt if applicable!) into a batch weight to see what the actual usage rate is. I also calculate my water as being 12% of my batch weight (I don't remember where I got this number but its what I use).

This method is very useful for salt bars or other soaps with high amounts of additives. You don't want to just use your straight full water amount as you know you loose a lot of water during curing. But, if you're using less than 15% of your total batch weight as water I would just include it in as you aren't going to get too much more water loss at that point. You can also always just add the lye, oils and other non-volitile additives without including the water if you're worried about it.

Is it easier just to use PPO/%O? Yes, and its also safer in some ways as it has a built in buffer. However, if you have a program that already does it (like soapmaker) or want to calculate it out, it is technically more correct to use the % of total batch if you want to get the most out of you FO/EO.

I did this recently with Anise EO which has a 0.9% usage rate. I used 0.8% of my total batch which ended up actually being 1% of my oil amount. Is it probably significant? No, but it makes me feel better that I have a record that I'm within safe usage rates. Thats my take on it at least!

ETA:

In reference to the actual sale, it looks like I'll be actually participating even though I originally didn't want to because my "restock" of an FO from a different supplier smells nothing like the 3 other suppliers I've tried of it! It's Lavender Chamomile. It's the same as Bedtime Bath from WSP and Lavender Chamomile from Mad Oils but not the same as Bedtime Baby from NG.... Grrr.

Last edited:
I just soaped with my new BB Champagne FO. I have to say that with a name like "Champagne" I was expecting something more sophisticated. Daughter and I were trying to decide what it smells like and she finally hit the nail on the head - cola! It would work well in a kiddy type soap like a bright coloured one with balls on top or something. Just my opinion. Apparently it blends well though. Mind you, I don't mean that I don't like it. It's quite fun-smelling.

I just soaped with my new BB Champagne FO. I have to say that with a name like "Champagne" I was expecting something more sophisticated. Daughter and I were trying to decide what it smells like and she finally hit the nail on the head - cola! It would work well in a kiddy type soap like a bright coloured one with balls on top or something. Just my opinion. Apparently it blends well though. Mind you, I don't mean that I don't like it. It's quite fun-smelling.

I think it does smell very bubbly - I can see thinking it smells like a dry ginger ale or sprite. I like to blend a little Crisp Anjou Pear in mine. Actually, I like it as a blender for anything fruity. It makes those fruity scents smell a little more posh. But everyone's nose is different. :)

I agree with Snappy, in that I can see it as a ginger ale. I do like the 'bubbly' effect it has. I also blend it with Crisp Anjou Pear, and the people I have given it to have really liked it (or said they did). I don't know if I would use it on it's own or not. It's a fun one to play with - I'm kind of thinking current and champagne will be my next try with that one.

Don't bother with the coconut cybilla for CP....even in HP it fades out. Smells great out of the bottle and I've even used it just in a warmer though!

Figures they'd go on sale AFTER I bought what I wanted....

BB's Ginger Ale is much more like ginger ale that their Champagne is. GA has that sharp ginger tone to it and still smells bubbly. I used Champagne almost always as a blender and it is great for that. I agree about it adding an interesting pop to fruity scents but it also works well with some florals. It is a strong fragrance though so sometimes you just need a capful to add that bit of interest. I've heard many people talk about the Champagne and Anjou Pear combo and it seems widely loved. I love it mixed with Lychee Red Tea among many others.

I just thought I'd add that I've soaped Rosehip Jasmine twice now but did all hand mixing and no stick blending. I was expecting to have to work quickly even with hand stirring because of the florals but I had all the time in the world and it's a lovely scent. I may have to try mixing it with Champagne next. ;)

I love every single one I have ever gotten, but my daughter made me immediately soap Island Escape the very second she smelled the sample bottle, and she will NOT live without it. Mine is Lemongrass and Sage, so I always have to keep two big bottles of those around. I also did a peppermint essential oil with their Turkish Mocha and everyone fought over those soaps at Christmas. My sister was sneaking MY bar off the shelf (she already had one!!) She had to be spanked. I guess everyone in the family has developed a fave.

Right, well I'm gonna get me some Crisp Anjou Pear and try that with the champagne. And some fruity ones. Yes, our noses are definitely all different, I can't smell ginger at all in it, it just smells like cola to me.

This is a great thread for ideas :D

Just wondering if you blend the F&M with anything songwind? I'd like to try some blends with mine but not sure where to start?

I haven't tried blending mine, because I really like it as is. I think it would go well with vanilla, though. Or maybe tone it down and use some citrus.

BB's Ginger Ale is much more like ginger ale that their Champagne is. GA has that sharp ginger tone to it and still smells bubbly. I used Champagne almost always as a blender and it is great for that. I agree about it adding an interesting pop to fruity scents but it also works well with some florals. It is a strong fragrance though so sometimes you just need a capful to add that bit of interest. I've heard many people talk about the Champagne and Anjou Pear combo and it seems widely loved. I love it mixed with Lychee Red Tea among many others.

I just thought I'd add that I've soaped Rosehip Jasmine twice now but did all hand mixing and no stick blending. I was expecting to have to work quickly even with hand stirring because of the florals but I had all the time in the world and it's a lovely scent. I may have to try mixing it with Champagne next. ;)

I just saw that Lychee Red Tea is being discontinued - maybe you knew that.

Back