Brambleberry _ IFRA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope don't see it, I wonder if it is because she wants you to use her FO Calc ?

But it is not listed there either, just sm, med, lg scent amounts

So many amazing fragrances have been ruined by reformulation due to ifra compliance

In the US it is not mandatory for fragrance manufacturers to submit their fragrances for IFRA testing. They only have to specify if the fragrance is body safe and at what the max usage is. Let's face it who would use any fragrance at 5 or 6% in a lotion or leave on product other than maybe a solid perfume. Common sense has to come into play. For soap the fragrance is diluted with water and rinsed off in seconds. No customer is going to know what IFRA is and you have assessment to help control the product.

I also find it very hard to believe every fragrance manufacturer is going to send out every fragrance to a self regulating association. Manufacturers do know what they are making and the percentages of the components/constituents they use

I know its different in the States and if someone was only using FO in leave on or wash off for personal use its entirely up to the maker how much they use. But I do know that people dont always abide by sensible percentages.

Customers dont always know what IFRA is but thats part of why our products are safety assessed to make sure all of the ingredients are safe individually and in combination. In order to get a product safety assessed in the EU you need the IFRA cert...

This is an extract from an assessor "Fragrances are often very complicated chemical mixtures and the exact formulation is usually strictly confidential. To enable fragrance manufacturers to keep their formulations secret, but still provide information about the safety of the ingredients, IFRA certificates are used.

IFRA (International Fragrance Association) certificates provide information on the safety of a fragrance and the limits at which it can be used in different cosmetic products. There are 11 IFRA product categories relating to how and where the product is used - if it is leave-on, or rinse-off etc.

When you use a fragrance your supplier will provide you with an IFRA certificate"

If it was for me I would be wary but if it was a reputable supplier I might take a chance but if I was selling there is no way I would use a FO that I couldnt verify had been safety assessed.

In the US it is not mandatory for fragrance manufacturers to submit their fragrances for IFRA testing. They only have to specify if the fragrance is body safe and at what the max usage is. Let's face it who would use any fragrance at 5 or 6% in a lotion or leave on product other than maybe a solid perfume. Common sense has to come into play. For soap the fragrance is diluted with water and rinsed off in seconds. No customer is going to know what IFRA is and you have assessment to help control the product.

I also find it very hard to believe every fragrance manufacturer is going to send out every fragrance to a self regulating association. Manufacturers do know what they are making and the percentages of the components/constituents they use
But we know that there are people out there selling day old hp and soaps that will cure cancer. Common sense is not always so common

I am not bashing anyone on here for their views...

One other thing..
Example --- If it wasn't for NG listing what the % to use was on a certain FO I bought, I would have used 5%. It was a 1% usage rate !!! It is listed Right on the page of that particular FO. I don't have to go to another page, click on a bunch of stuff to find out what someone 'thinks' you should scent at.

When you think about the HARM you could possibly do to someone, not on purpose, but due to ignorance. Which in court would tell you that it was your responsibility to FIND OUT.
Of course this isn't just if you are selling, it's EVEN IF you are giving to someone. Just because you didn't take money doesn't mean you are not liable .

--> As a newbee I didn't know all of this back in the day and thank goodness I was very light handed in scenting. It is Scary to think about it now how I could have injured someone who used my soap back then. My own Kids !
Here we have the opportunity to educate people to FIND the info.
So I am glad this was asked !

*** I am going to say this, and most likely get bashed for it but here goes ..... My Personally feelings are that I find it negligent for a business to NOT list % on each FO they sell (not only soap but skin a well). This is one other thing that I do not like about BB and the reason I do not buy from them. I have some old FO's that I was given from them. Actually I think I tossed them all only because the scent was off.
It really is too bad as she has done some great things with videos and CAN be very informational.

So..... where do you find suggested usage numbers for the different fragrance oils?

The usage rates are usually listed somewhere on the individual fragrance description page. I know that Nurture, Rustic Escentuals, Fragrance Buddy, WSP and Nature's Garden list them. Here is an example from Nurture:
nurture IFRA.JPG

I only use FO's I can find usage rates for. I don't purchase scents with low usage rates. I agree that they should be listed on their site. I don't care if they test their products as long as there is the important stuff. Testing of product is a bonus.

I do the same. Only fragrances I can find usage rates for and I don't buy fragrances with low usage rates even if the reviews are great. I had to hold a 16 oz bottle of amazing Mysore Sandalwood FO until I received the IFRA usage rates from the company. After several emails and 2-3 months time they finally sent it to me. It was not available on their website.

What is a low usage rate?

If the max usage rate for soap is less than 3% I don't bother. I want the scent to stick but I also have concerns about the safety of chemicals used to make a FO with such a low usage rate. For me, I like to see max usage rates above 10%. 15% and above is even better :) I keep my usage rate at about 4-5% no matter how high max usage is though.

If the max usage rate for soap is less than 3% I don't bother. I want the scent to stick but I also have concerns about the safety of chemicals used to make a FO with such a low usage rate. For me, I like to see max usage rates above 10%. 15% and above is even better :) I keep my usage rate at about 4-5% no matter how high max usage is though.

Ah, got it. Thank you! I am just starting to research FO for my soaps :)

Latest posts

Back