Boys are dumb

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Apologies to boys (and men)! I should have titled this "My brother is dumb." But I can't figure out how to edit the title.

Here's a pic of some camo soap I made - scented with "Sexy Man." I gave this bar to my brother. He "only uses shower gel". :crazy:

So he uses this beautiful bar as a pencil holder. Because he is dumb. (apologies to the lovely, clean-smelling boys of Soap Making Forum who APPRECIATE good soap.)

camosoap.JPG

Last edited:
My brothers, son, dad, friends that are men, brother-in-laws, father-in-law all love my soaps. You must be doing it wrong.

:p

Just playing.

Last edited:
I had this problem, too, with one of the manly-man-menfolk in my family. I finally told him "you know, you are washing with petroleum-derived products. You're basically rubbing gasoline on your skin." (Yes, I know, that is not even remotely accurate, I was being a smart-alec) I said,"Try this soap for 2 weeks. Just try it. If you don't like it, no hard feelings, and I will never mention it again."

He relented.

About 3 weeks later I got a text message, "hey, do you have any more of that soap?" He's been using it exclusively for about 2 years or so now, and if he runs out or travels he says he can feel the difference in his skin right away.

I gave one of my coworkers some soaps and asked him to critique them. Slightly different formulas and EOs for scent. One was unscented, one was grapefruit, one was citronella and the final one was lavender-chamomile. The lavender-chamomile is his favorite. I thought the EOs must add something to the soap. They certainly do. Fragrance. He likes the way that one smells the best. I asked how it felt, is his skin ok, did he like the lather? He said, "I don't know. Was I supposed to be checking that?"

Yep. Boys are dumb.
But, I have been pleasantly surprised over the years at how many of those boys like my soap :) I just heard about the School Committee Chairman and the Superintendent having a discussion about who likes my soap better. I was pleased as punch.
But, boys are still dumb ;)

Here's a pic of some camo soap I made - scented with "Sexy Man." I gave this bar to my brother. He "only uses shower gel". :crazy:

So he uses this beautiful bar as a pencil holder. Because he is a boy, and boys are dumb. (apologies to the lovely, clean-smelling boys of Soap Making Forum who APPRECIATE good soap.)

That's pretty soap.

Yep. Boys are dumb.
But, I have been pleasantly surprised over the years at how many of those boys like my soap :) I just heard about the School Committee Chairman and the Superintendent having a discussion about who likes my soap better. I was pleased as punch.
But, boys are still dumb ;)

I got this from a second grader and I use it whenever I can:

"Girls rule, boys drool." (Said with hand on hip and a disgusted, whinny voice. Kind of like, "I know you are, but what am I?")

I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up.

Dixie, that is the nicest camo soap I have ever seen. Luckily most of my close friends are gay guys, they are appreciative of my soapy gifts. Straight guys are harder to work with, I think you have to actually put the bars in the showers and have them figure it out by themselves ( I know, massive generalization). I am waiting for our soapy brothers to step in and lambast us (cue Lee for joke here :)

My son hd terrible acne..he came to me and asked if we could go to Walmart and get some acne meds...I said try my soap...finally he did and came to me the other day saying he finally used it..." See my face mom? Your soap actually works!!" 3 weeks later he came saying I need more soap for my face...I said what about Walmart?? He said Walmart ain't got the good stuff!!! Lol
Boys are hard headed sometimes I tell ya !!!

I spent the day today teaching 3 teenage boys how to freedive for abalone and scallops off the Mendocino coast. After cleaning the shellfish and a ling we speared, one of them asked if there is any fat in the fish to make soap! A year or two ago I showed the same trio how to process a wild pig and we used the fat for lard that became soap.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any fish fatty enough for soap making.

So yeah, boys are dumb and men are resourceful.

Tomorrow we're making aftershaves.

I spent the day today teaching 3 teenage boys how to freedive for abalone and scallops off the Mendocino coast. After cleaning the shellfish and a ling we speared, one of them asked if there is any fat in the fish to make soap! A year or two ago I showed the same trio how to process a wild pig and we used the fat for lard that became soap.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any fish fatty enough for soap making.

So yeah, boys are dumb and men are resourceful.

Tomorrow we're making aftershaves.

I want to visit you! I have been trying to get wild fat of some sort (mainly feral hogs or deer where I am) for years, but no dice.

Boys are certainly dumb but can be taught new things sometimes. I've managed to convert all the men in my family to using my soap and I'm fortunate they all rave about how much better it is.

"SOME" boys are dumb. As a single father, I was presented with a perplexing issue 12 years ago. My oldest was allergic to commercial soap and had extreme reactions to poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, etc. etc. etc. None of the stuff available at Wally World worked. So, what's a fella to do? I got on the interwebz and read about the benefits of making your own soap. So, after much reading and research; and with much trepidation, I made a batch. With that first batch, his skin conditions started clearing up.

Now, I made that soap for him for two years until he hit Junior High. At that point my soaps "didn't come in the cool bottles and smell like everybody else's soap." Lucky for him that kids sometimes outgrow allergies. (My daughter and younger son still loved the homemade soap, but work schedule and responsibilities conspired to make me a consumer rather than a producer.)

In any event, my oldest is now in the Air Force National Guard and away on deployment. He heard from his younger brother that I was making soap again and sent me an email asking me to send him "about a dozen bars of .... the good stuff" because "that commercial detergent soap you're always complaining about is really drying over here."

Dixie, that is the nicest camo soap I have ever seen. Luckily most of my close friends are gay guys, they are appreciative of my soapy gifts. Straight guys are harder to work with, I think you have to actually put the bars in the showers and have them figure it out by themselves ( I know, massive generalization). I am waiting for our soapy brothers to step in and lambast us (cue Lee for joke here :)

I see no reason to lambast anyone. I just consider the source, realize that anyone who would make such a broad generalization probably is not so bright themselves, and go about my business.

Sorry, K, really did not mean to offend *any* guys, straight or gay. I really don't think any one them are dumb, whatever the stripe (OK, maybe some are, but it doesn't have to do with chromosomes/gender/preference.)

Last edited:
Sorry if I offended anyone with my title. I meant it as a poke at my brother. I know many men who really appreciate my soap. But they don't care for manly scents - they all want vanilla or peppermint.

I am not offended.

I just thought I would point out that lumping everyone together is never a good idea.

If the comment had been, "My Brother is dumb" I would have agreed using such a nice gift as a pencil holder was ridiculous. My youngest brother is pretty stubborn, so I understand family members being silly.

Back