Bottom of soap is crumbly...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I've been working with my 3lb. slab mold lately to practice new techniques. The last 2 batches have cut well about 3/4s of the way through, but when it gets to the bottom, the cut edges crumble badly.
It's a basic lard recipe, with CO, OO and castor, and I've never had this happen. I used different colors and FOs in each batch.
I let it sit 24 hours, covered and insulated.
Anyone have an idea what I may have done?

I think that's usually indicative of lye heavy. If it doesn't zap, then it may be your lye is old...how old is it because that's happened to me with roebic lye when I'm down to the bottom of the barrel.

Crap. I bet the lye was getting old. It was the end of the old batch. It doesn't zap, so I think I'm ok there. I get it in sealed tubs from our local Amish, and I didn't soap for a couple months because of my hand. Thanks :)

I think that's usually indicative of lye heavy. If it doesn't zap, then it may be your lye is old...how old is it because that's happened to me with roebic lye when I'm down to the bottom of the barrel.

Well, that narrowed it down...lol..could be old lye, cut too early or cut too late :)
I feel an experiment of sorts coming on... today, I'll use new lye and wait the 24 hours. If that doesn't work, the next batch I'll only let sit 8 hours, then if necessary, one where I wait longer than 24.

Thanks for all the help! It's much appreciated.

Also, what are you cutting the soap with -- knife or wire cutter? If you are using a knife, the soap may be simply splitting apart due to the wedging action of the blade.

I use a very long, very sharp stainless steel knife. It could be that as well, because Lord knows, I have a hard time cutting a straight line...lol... I've been trying to justify either Bud cutter or an adjustable mold...could be this is the push I need...

Also, what are you cutting the soap with -- knife or wire cutter? If you are using a knife, the soap may be simply splitting apart due to the wedging action of the blade.

Since this is a slab, the wedging action of the knife blade could easily be a big part of the problem. If you need to use a knife, try cutting when the soap is as soft as possible and make a slow easy cut. The cut may still end up a little crumbly or rough at the bottom, but it might not be quite so bad.

Another thing to consider is using a "taping knife" that's normally used for drywall finishing. I used one when I was first starting out. Since this kind of "knife" doesn't have a taper, it might work better for you. They come in widths from 3" all the way to 12" and aren't very expensive. You can get one that's wide enough to give you a nice straight cut.

Uh, lessee ... here's an example of a wide one:

image_10154.jpg

Back