Bottom layer issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
When I ran my basic recipe through smf to resize to the ns 5lb, this is what it gave me. But when I try pouring a rainbow or otherwise multilayered soap, the bottom layer ( 1st poured) winds up being softest. What am I doing wrong? I am not currently attempting to unmold anything as when I checked the bottom layers of all of my 3 5lb soaps is still a little soft.. I soap at 110. Please criticize and help. I can't stand wasting ingredients. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-141756_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210714-141756_Chrome.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210714-141802_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210714-141802_Chrome.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 18
Do you CPOP the soap once poured? That might help to harden that bottom layer. Also, do you mix everything at the same time, then pour? Or do you mix each layer as you go? Also, do you pre-heat your mold prior to pouring?

What I would suggest is that you to give that bottom layer a good short burst or two with the Stick Blender before pouring it. The other layers obviously don't need an extra burst, but it sounds like your first layer might. That would probably be the best option considering that your soap is in a pretty large mold (5 pounds of soap, right?)

Another option is one I have used for very small batches of layered soap, but your mold is surely quite large. I have actually heated a bottom layer in layered soap (just a short time) in a wooden mold with the lid on top of the mold to ensure it was set up sufficiently before pouring the second layer because I started coloring the layers at emulsion & the bottom layer was still very soft.

Keeping a lid on top of the soap between pouring layers is another way of holding in the heat, so that's another suggestion I would make for layered soaps, especially when using a slab mold. The bottom layer would loose heat fast if not covered while you are preparing the next layer. If your mold doesn't come with a lid, you can use a sheet of cardboard cut from a shipping box. You could also pre-heat the mold prior to pouring your first layer and that would help hold the heat in the bottom layer (but still use a lid or cover between pouring your layers.)

I dont cpop ( yet). I've tried mixing layers separately and also all at once and issues both times. Great idea on covering it between layers. It is most likely losing heat. I'll give this a few more days before cutting and see how it holds up. Thank you

Do you mix the entire batch at once or are you portioning your lye solution and oils to mix for each layer? My thinking is that maybe your bottom layer is a bit heavier on oils and light on lye solution - being more exact measurements - and then as you're doing the other layers your measurements maybe slightly off (a bit less oil, a little more lye solution). This may help the other layers firm up a bit more than the bottom layer. Just a thought I had reading the original post.

Do you CPOP the soap once poured? That might help to harden that bottom layer. Also, do you mix everything at the same time, then pour? Or do you mix each layer as you go? Also, do you pre-heat your mold prior to pouring?

What I would suggest is that you to give that bottom layer a good short burst or two with the Stick Blender before pouring it. The other layers obviously don't need an extra burst, but it sounds like your first layer might. That would probably be the best option considering that your soap is in a pretty large mold (5 pounds of soap, right?)

Another option is one I have used for very small batches of layered soap, but your mold is surely quite large. I have actually heated a bottom layer in layered soap (just a short time) in a wooden mold with the lid on top of the mold to ensure it was set up sufficiently before pouring the second layer because I started coloring the layers at emulsion & the bottom layer was still very soft.

Keeping a lid on top of the soap between pouring layers is another way of holding in the heat, so that's another suggestion I would make for layered soaps, especially when using a slab mold. The bottom layer would loose heat fast if not covered while you are preparing the next layer. If your mold doesn't come with a lid, you can use a sheet of cardboard cut from a shipping box. You could also pre-heat the mold prior to pouring your first layer and that would help hold the heat in the bottom layer (but still use a lid or cover between pouring your layers.)
Earlene and everyone. This is what it looks i honestly have no idea at this point anymore I feel like I should try a batch in my amazon molds or go back to non WSP ingredients

Attachments

• 20210715_182051.jpg
    20210715_182051.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210715_182056.jpg
    20210715_182056.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210715_182053.jpg
    20210715_182053.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 16
Earlene and everyone. This is what it looks i honestly have no idea at this point anymore I feel like I should try a batch in my amazon molds or go back to non WSP ingredients
To me that looks like too much TD, too much SL, or both. I have also gotten that mix of some sticky and some chalky spots when I pour at very thin emulsion. @earlene's suggestion to do a little more stick-blending may be the ticket.

To me that looks like too much TD, too much SL, or both. I have also gotten that mix of some sticky and some chalky spots when I pour at very thin emulsion. @earlene's suggestion to do a little more stick-blending may be the ticket.
But why only the top blue when the bottom blue is the same thing? I'm so confused and ready to curl up in a fetal position under my bed.

I think you said you mixed all oils and lye together in this one, yes? If you then split the batch at thin emulsion, you may have had differing amounts of oils, lye, and additives in each cup, because ingredients that aren't fully emulsified can separate as you pour, with some rising to the top, and others sinking to the bottom.

I've had a few times when I didn't split my batch, but just poured at very thin emulsion (because, detailed cavity molds), and my soaps ended up very inconsistent from bar to bar. It can be tough to find that sweet spot with emulsion, for sure.

The mysteries (miseries?) of soapmaking. :smallshrug:

I think you said you mixed all oils and lye together in this one, yes? If you then split the batch at thin emulsion, you may have had differing amounts of oils, lye, and additives in each cup, because ingredients that aren't fully emulsified can separate as you pour, with some rising to the top, and others sinking to the bottom.

I've had a few times when I didn't split my batch, but just poured at very thin emulsion (because, detailed cavity molds), and my soaps ended up very inconsistent from bar to bar. It can be tough to find that sweet spot with emulsion, for sure.

The mysteries (miseries?) of soapmaking. :smallshrug:
So I should just keep separate then. Ok! 😁

I dont cpop ( yet). I've tried mixing layers separately and also all at once and issues both times. Great idea on covering it between layers. It is most likely losing heat. I'll give this a few more days before cutting and see how it holds up. Thank you
CPOPing makes the colors more vibrant I almost always cpop but especially when I want bright vibrant colors
But why only the top blue when the bottom blue is the same thing? I'm so confused and ready to curl up in a fetal position under my bed.
*Hugs* we all know how you feel soap loves to make us humble 🤪

Latest posts

Back