Bottle of Liquid Glycerin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srenee

Reaction score
Ok. So I got this bottle of liquid glycerin from a lady at the flea market. She wrote on the bottle 2 oz for CP and 4 oz for HP. Can I use this to make a hard bar soap recipe, and how would I account for this with lye. Or is it best to use it as a melt n' pour method as a glycerin base? She just gave me the bottle to help out I guess and I didn't stop to ask her exactly what she meant because she had a slew of customers come in.

Another question: Can I use a bottle of Castille soap in a soap recipe to make CP or HP soap. Found some of this on sale at an organic store and wanted to try it and see if it would work. I believe it is Hemp Rose. Smells really good, but rather have it in a bar rather than liquid.

Are you trying to make the same soap you sell on your website?

Glycerin

Yes, or wondering if it can be an ingredient in my recipe without making it really soft, or sweaty. If not I am sure I can use it to make liquid soap, and creams. Just wondering since she stated for CP or HP.

I can't really help you, I was just wondering. I don't use glycerin in soap, except sometimes to help with a color.

Good Luck.

I wouldn't put it in CP or HP. I'm not sure why she told you to do that. I would put it in liquid soap.

Glycerin

That's exactly why I asked. I was certain that glycerin and oil doesn't mix well if at all so why she stated this I wasn't sure. I didn't want to waste expensive ingredients trying it out. Thank you for answering.

CP soap makes its own glycerin. If you add too much separately, it can make your soap soft and sticky. In a moisture environment, the glycerin in the soap can weep out of the bars. Glycerin will NOT make your soaps harder. I would not add any to Melt N' Pour either. The glycerin is already in it at a proper %.

You can't make another bar of soap with store bought castille. If I bought a bar like that, I would be upset and want my money back. Also how would you list all the ingredients on your label? It's like taking Dr. Bronner's soap and claiming it as your own? I'm sure if the company found out, you could get sued. Are you ready to loose your house or posessions?

Castille

Thanks. I guess that wasn't exactly what I meant. I was asking about combining it in a recipe with other ingredients to recreate a bar of soap. But being that it is primarialy glycerin, my first question was answered and that answered the second as well. Just trying to see what other combinations I could come up with for soap. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Look like the soaps on your site are rebatch and MP soaps. You can add fragrance or color to either. I wouldn't bother with adding any glycerin. Can I ask where you get your cold process soap base that you make into rebatch bars?

CP and HP

Acturally they are CP, HP and melt n pour. I make the CP batch, then rebatch it to get some of my color mixtures. I am really enjoying the CP and HP methods as I can really make up different colors, etc. The MP I've added color and fragrance. I had to really play around with the CP to make the fragrances and colors stay. Yesturday I made one with honey and it went from light brown to dark to darker still. I added oatmeal to it and when I unmolded it it was a dark brown with light flecks of oatmeal. Smells like chocolate and sweet smell of oatmeal. Yummy. But I didn't expect it to come out so dark. So I'll save a few to sell and then I'll cut up and make a nice creamy white soap with brown chunks in it when I rebatch it. The men in my family said they would think twice about using a dark brown soap...lol :lol:

Why not just make a CP batch and add all fragrance or color then? It seems like you're making it harder than it needs to be. You don't need to rebatch to add things to it; add them when you make the soap the first time. If the fragrance is not staying for you, try a different vendor that caters to soapmakers or use a higher %.

Cp

I do. I just have lots of scraps that I hate to throw away, so I rebatch. I'll have more CP pictures to add in the upcoming days. I have some that are curing. But trying to figure out website building has slowed me down a bit so not all are listed just yet. I really am trying to perfect the CP and HP method the most. You should see my kitchen! A total wreck when I'm right in the middle of making these. I'll have a crockpot, my stove and oven all going. Everybody comes off at a different time mold and clean up.

Here's a thought....shred all those soap scraps, add them to another CP batch and call it confetti soap. No rebatching needed.

BTW. I would add an ingredient list to all your soaps on your web site. There are a lot of people with allergies out there and they won't buy if you don't have an ingredient list.

Soaps

Irena, I just saw your soaps. Very nice! I love the little tubs as well. Great eyecatcher. I have to work on that. But I am not webpage building savvy. Working on that.

I just did a CP soap with spearmint and green swirl and plugged the numbers into SM3. I got a fairly nice hardness and lather. I just cut them into bars this morning.

Ingredient list

Thanks. I'll do that. I mostly just kinda summarized with each soap what was in it. I thought about that especially for those who have nut allergies. Thanks. That's on my list for tomorrow, to add a list. I appreciate your input. I hadn't thought of that, among hundreds of other things :lol:

Re: Soaps

srenee said:
Irena, I just saw your soaps. Very nice! I love the little tubs as well. Great eyecatcher. I have to work on that. But I am not webpage building savvy. Working on that.

I just did a CP soap with spearmint and green swirl and plugged the numbers into SM3. I got a fairly nice hardness and lather. I just cut them into bars this morning.
Thank you. I collect bathtub soap dishes. I bet your CP soap is nice and smooth. What did you use for the green color? I have SM3 as well. I take some of those numbers with a grain of salt. Some of my recipes don't look great according to the software, but boy do they make a nice soap.
Please post pics of your spearmint soap.

Confetti soap

Another good idea. I have about 3 boxes of scraps. Pretty colors too. I have lavender, cinnamon, a pretty grapefruit orange, and a few others.

Spearmint

I used 1 tsp of yellow oxide colorant and a little blue with just enough glycerin, and infused green tea.

Re: Spearmint

srenee said:
I used 1 tsp of yellow oxide colorant and a little blue with just enough glycerin, and infused green tea.
I would have saved the green tea for drinking. It won't stay green. For your pics, you need to upload them somewhere like Flicker or Photobucket first, then copy/paste the code into a post here.

Latest posts

Back