Botched Batches!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEASoapWorks

Reaction score
:D First off, I wanted to post this here, for other newbies. Don't be afraid of botched batches. While I don't plan on having a lot of them, I didn't expect that every batch would pass — it happens with soap veterans, as well. So, just go with it. Life goes on. It's just soap.

So, I'll show my "Botched Beauty"

Intro: At first glance, you may think you're looking at a batch of Rice Krispie Treats! Yummy! But sorry, that's not what you're looking at. You're looking at my attempt at a "Butter Bar", made with 20% mango butter, and buttermilk powder. My recipe was tight, and everything was going quite well. I hand-stirred the batch and all was well....until I added the "Fig Lychee" FO. I hate that stuff, I tell ya'!

:(

As soon as I started stirring, I saw the end of my good dream... :D
The batter turned grainy, and as I continued to stir, it morphed into a pot of rice/pea-like clumps, surrounded by oily separation. Woe was me!

I still poured it in the mold, cuz I wanted to see what it would end up looking like. My newbie guess as to what caused the problem? The soap batter was too warm. I should have soaped at the much cooler end of the scale — around 90 degrees. I was around 108. I noticed the warmth coming from the pot — which I'm sure was due to the buttermilk powder (whisked into the oils, before the lye water was added).

I will try this recipe again, though, cuz I think it'll be wonderful!

Lookie!

RicedMess2.JPG

:lol:

Did you use your new cutter on this soap? The cut looks pretty nice for the consistancy of the bar. Bet it'll float !

Are you planning to re-melt this soap?

Nope!

PhillipJ said:
Did you use your new cutter on this soap? The cut looks pretty nice for the consistancy of the bar. Bet it'll float !

Are you planning to re-melt this soap?

Actually the side that's facing you wasn't "cut". It's the side of the soap log. I cut the log in half, and stacked the two halves, for the picture. I just cut it with a regular soap slicer — the blade with the wooden handle thingee. I didn't have my cutter, when this batch went south. But, I wouldn't have used my new cutter, with this mess!

No rebatching. It's in the garbage.

It actually looks kinda neat! :eek: Now I'll bet if you tried to do it like this, you could never replicate it again! I wonder what scrub-a-dub power it has...

Nope!

gbtreasures said:
It actually looks kinda neat! :eek: Now I'll bet if you tried to do it like this, you could never replicate it again! I wonder what scrub-a-dub power it has...

...and I don't want to! :D

Latest posts

Back