Borax Hand Soap for Blacksmith or other dirty work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my version today using raw sugar instead of honey. When the prohibited words were said and all was dissolved, the lye concentration was 36%. That included enough water to dissolve the EDTA that I used instead of my usual sodium citrate in an attempt to keep the lye concentration as high as possible. @KiwiMoose I borrowed your idea and added AC to the batch. To keep things exciting I almost forgot the pumice (duh) and ended up dumping the batter back in the bowl to add it. There were some bubbles by the time it was finally settled in the mold, but it looked good.

@earlene - I am about to make my first batch of Blacksmith Soap. Thank you so much for generously sharing your recipe and methods.

Have you posted any photos of your trip? I’m up for traveling vicariously!
Cool. Looking forward to your report & photos.
Not so much. I really should get around to that! I have hundreds of them.
I do have to get around to doing so.
So I'm thinking I will probably make this with the following changes:
No dual lye, but with AVJ as the water content.
My usual vegan recipe ( maybe increase the CO to 25% for extra cleansing?) Keep superfat to 2%
35% lye concentration ( I've never done over 40% except for when using the split method with coconut milk)
Poured into cavity molds to avoid cutting issues with the added salts and pumice.
I like the idea of using activated charcoal because of two things - the colour: 'black' smiths soap, and the toxin removal aspect.
Any thoughts/comments/warnings appreciated. @Zing - this means you too ;)
I am looking forward to you sharing your results. Cavity molds is something I have not tried with this soap as yet; I await hearing about & seeing your soap.

So I'm thinking I will probably make this with the following changes:
No dual lye, but with AVJ as the water content.
My usual vegan recipe ( maybe increase the CO to 25% for extra cleansing?) Keep superfat to 2%
35% lye concentration ( I've never done over 40% except for when using the split method with coconut milk)
Poured into cavity molds to avoid cutting issues with the added salts and pumice.
I like the idea of using activated charcoal because of two things - the colour: 'black' smiths soap, and the toxin removal aspect.
Any thoughts/comments/warnings appreciated. @Zing - this means you too ;)
Well??!! Any update?

Cavity molds is something I have not tried with this soap as yet; I await hearing about & seeing your soap.
I make my version of your Blacksmith Soap in cavity molds because I try not to use my wire cutter for any soaps with additives (pumice in this case) that might damage the wires.

I also like that I can leave them in the molds as long as needed without worrying about cut time. The last batch was made right before leaving on a trip, for instance.

Great idea. When I first started making blacksmith soap, I didn't even have a wire cutter, if I recall correctly. Maybe I did, but if so it would have been my single slice Bud Cutter, which I don't bring it along when traveling, and some of those I made while traveling, so I used a bench scraper or kitchen knife, whichever was handy at the time.

But next time I make it, I'll definitely try some individual molds! My brother has been dealing with cancer treatment, so he hasn't been doing much blacksmithing lately, so I have not made any in awhile. He's done with treatment now, but still feeling worn out and very low energy. Blacksmithing is too much for him at the moment.

When the prohibited words were said....
Would that be "kitten love"? 😂

My brother has been dealing with cancer treatment, so he hasn't been doing much blacksmithing lately, so I have not made any in awhile. He's done with treatment now, but still feeling worn out and very low energy. Blacksmithing is too much for him at the moment.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I pray he regains his strength very soon!

Hold yer horses! I happen to have a very bad 'flu. I have been off work for the past 3 days and the weekend prior. Apparently it's worse than Covid (which I still have not had yet)?
I've been chuckling over kitten love all day.
So gotta tell ya, my initial impulse was to be a smart aleck (something connecting the power of borax, handwashing, and preventing the spread of a so-called "flu")! But seriously, I hope you can recover soon and that your puppers is a good nurse while you recuperate.

Sorry to hear about your brother @earlene . I hope he regains his strength soon.

@KiwiMoose it’s good to know that the flu didn’t affect your sense of humor. Feel better!

I wouldn’t let myself double copy @KiwiMoose on my blacksmith soap so I had to use a loaf mold. I cut the loaf with my Bud cutter and didn’t have any problems. I’m thinking about carving designs into the lovely lacquer-like ash on the tops.

3797B7E4-B265-41CD-9932-6758E3E08C7E.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your brother @earlene . I hope he regains his strength soon.

@KiwiMoose it’s good to know that the flu didn’t affect your sense of humor. Feel better!

I wouldn’t let myself double copy @KiwiMoose on my blacksmith soap so I had to use a loaf mold. I cut the loaf with my Bud cutter and didn’t have any problems. I’m thinking about carving designs into the lovely lacquer-like ash on the tops.

View attachment 67414
WOW! They look great! Love that ash on top - never thought I'd say that, but it looks like part of the design.

View attachment 67414
Wowza! You get first prize for best design using ash!!

I'm finally ready to try this blacksmith soap. I do hp, so will be adding the borax after cook that has been dissolved in boiling water.
Has anyone done it this way that could offer any advise?

will be adding the borax after cook that has been dissolved in boiling water

TIP: Once dissolved, keep the Borax warm to hot while sitting. Otherwise, it will particulate out, settle on the bottom, and be hard as a rock! (Don't ask how I know this... 🤪 )

adding the borax after cook
For better incorporation (and so I don't forget it) I would add it to the oils before adding the lye solution. SB for one full minute to get it thoroughly mixed in. I don't see any particular advantage to adding it at the end. It may cause a problem you never saw coming... :smallshrug:

I thi

Methinks you will be the trailblazer on this one. Please let us know how it goes!
I'll post a pic when it's done. :)

TIP: Once dissolved, keep the Borax warm to hot while sitting. Otherwise, it will particulate out, settle on the bottom, and be hard as a rock! (Don't ask how I know this... 🤪 )
Good tip! I will keep it warm for sure!

I used Natural Citrus.
I used my regular recipe. Added pumice, and orange peel powder. Dissolved the Borax in boiling water when the soap was almost finished cooking. As soon as it finished cooking, I added the pumice, orange peel, and borax solution and SF. Waited for it to cool down to 160 and added the fragrance.

1679284116119.png

@Kcryss Looks great! Bet it smells great, too!

What's everyone's favorite fragrance for this? I've got all the ingredients, but I can't decide what it should smell like!
I tend to use d-limonene in mine, because it smells like fresh citrus and has grease-cutting power. I've also used a blend of Sweet Orange FO and folded orange EO - smells amazing!

Latest posts

Back