Borax for pres?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I read somewhere of people adding borax to their soaps for preservation. Does this really work? and how much would you add?

LOL! Sorry, I don't know the answer but I had to laugh because I thought, based on the subject line, that this was going to be a campaign ad. :oops:

x

zeoplum said:
LOL! Sorry, I don't know the answer but I had to laugh because I thought, based on the subject line, that this was going to be a campaign ad. :oops:

LOL! me too-borax obama!

borax is a laundry detergent booster-i doesn't clean your clothes, but helps the detergents clean more effectively.

i've never heard of it in natural soaps before.

You piqued my curiosity - I'm not sure about the preservation, I would be interested to know myself if it acts as a preservative - I have loads of the stuff!

Here is some interesting info I found on it though.

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/drcl...ounces. It may need to harden for a week.

Really not trying to spam but here is some more stuff from Mountainrose herbs on Borax and they say that it is a preservative -

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/le...dding it to my Milk and Rooibos Bath tonight!

I think borax will neutralize some of the lye. It is used in liquid soaps for this purpose.

Thanks for the links tincanac
That last one says may cause irritation if exposed to the skin...hmm, I'm not sure what to think about it.

I first thought it was Borax for president, too :eek:

I'm a newbie so my intention is NOT to spread mis-information, but today was the first day after a 30 day cure that I was able to use a cp batch that had very few hard oils and had a generous portion of canola oil and shea.

My hp batch from the same recipe was a waxy squishy mess, I rebatched it, but I added sodium lauryl sulfate to the cp batch (sls is a surfacant and a detergent, I thought I needed for soap to bubble but I know better now)

well anyway the cp sls batch of previously squishy soap, was like cream cheese with power in it when I cut it 24 hours after pour (I added less than 1% sls) it sweated for about 2 weeks looking powdery, not like lye ash but cream cheese with powder.

I washed with it today, it is rock hard, creamy seems a good bar and just a teeny tineey more drying than my best recipe.

not to advocate sls at all, it is not needed in soap, just reporting what this additive did to my recipe.

You would have to be careful addingg it to bar soap because it will neutralize the lye. Some of the liquid soaps I make I add 2% more lye than needed and a 1/4 cup of borax per gallon of soap to neutralize and preserve.

Bruce

I emailed and asked a company that sells soap making supplies and they told me that Borax alone is fine for using as a preservative in LOTIONS.

I've actually thought of putting in Borax for a shampoo bar. It's fine on your skin, it's actually really good by itself for cleaning your hair. I dissolve some in water and pour it on my hair, it cleans without stripping. Use a citric acid rinse afterwards and it's party time! I alternate using borax, my soap and regular shampoo (I'm trying not to use all the chemicals, but I find using it once in a while my hair feels really good).
It's really good for people with rosacea too.

It's not a chemical, it's natural.... check out www.earthclinic.com for all sorts of ideas for using it.

(Geez, you'd think I worked for some sort of "borax company" or something!)

Latest posts

Back