Booth advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have my first outdoor event this weekend. I received a map of the vendor spaces and I’m on a corner, which could be good, but I am a bit set back from where most of the vendors are. I’m (over) thinking about my setup and would welcome feedback. I will be facing south, so I’m thinking I will set up as in the below. I’m wondering if the tent pole will be a hazard. I was thinking I could split a foam noodle to cover it, but people could still back into it. I have one six foot and two four foot tables. I have some nice tall displays so everything won’t be flat on the tables.
If I didn’t have a corner spot I was going to set up with the two little tables flanking the big table making a U. Maybe I still should?
Awaiting your feedback.
668DF6D7-513F-43A4-BA9F-3FA414F44D46.jpeg

BUY MY SOAP!! :nodding:

Hard to say. We always set ours up as an inverted U shape so people do 'come in' to the space rather than having a 'counter' type set up. Disadvantages of our set up is that it can get full if you have more than three people in the space with us as well (we do leave a couple of corners at the back where we can sit down between customers). We have sometimes contemplated doing it more the way you have it set up, but I do like the more personal touch of being out talking with my customers rather than behind a counter.

Have you got a floor 'teardrop' sign/banner or something bright that you can hang along the corner as 'decoration' but also to serve as a visual warning that there is a pole there? Even some long strips of hanging crepe paper might do the trick - they will blow in the wind and make people 'see' your stall from a distance.

Here’s a quick pic of our stall set up:
9D5D4CA1-C8CC-4741-B880-82D64447C7E7.jpeg

Here’s a quick pic of our stall set up:
View attachment 66558
You know, I was thinking about this set up too - but a lot of people on FB say that the U shape intimidates people, they don’t want to go in if they aren’t sure they are going to buy - feels like too much of a commitment. But I wonder if that’s a cultural difference between NZ and US.
The teardrop banner is a great idea - I don’t have one, but I could do the crepe paper.

Sorry, I am not a huge help other than the fact I used every inch of space I could and even fudged when I could if no one was next to me. I always had my tables at the very front of my booth. This came about early in my selling when I informed during a Cherry Festival in a primary Asian market that many Asians would not enter our booth space without a particular sign up even then some would rather shop from the outside of the booth. We did acquire the sign but not many came inside. We never set up our booth where folks had to enter. Depending on my space I could utilize up to 10 tables by stacking my tables. I always used at least 8 tables at corner booths. I used telescoping tables behind the front tables plus elevation boards on the tables for further elevation. These are pics from back in 2017 but it gives an idea of how I stacked my products. Since I still see crates in the back I was still setting up the side and back tables, since this was one of my corner booths in a market I used to attend.

Attachments

• 20170610_172613.jpg
    20170610_172613.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20170610_172546.jpg
    20170610_172546.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 69
Sorry, I am not a huge help other than the fact I used every inch of space I could and even fudged when I could if no one was next to me. I always had my tables at the very front of my booth. This came about early in my selling when I informed during a Cherry Festival in a primary Asian market that many Asians would not enter our booth space without a particular sign up even then some would rather shop from the outside of the booth. We did acquire the sign but not many came inside. We never set up our booth where folks had to enter. Depending on my space I could utilize up to 10 tables by stacking my tables. I always used at least 8 tables at corner booths. I used telescoping tables behind the front tables plus elevation boards on the tables for further elevation. These are pics from back in 2017 but it gives an idea of how I stacked my products. Since I still see crates in the back I was still setting up the side and back tables, since this was one of my corner booths in a market I used to attend.
This is amazing, I love all the vertical space you created. I’m going to rethink my presentation. I bought one display rack that I just love - I ordered a second one that I hope will get here today. One factor is that my vehicle is a Prius - with the seat folded there is decent space, but not infinite.
So interesting about the cultural differences in hesitancy about entering the booth. When you say “a particular sign” I’m not understanding what you mean- do you mean a sign showing what you made, or with particular text targeting the clientele?

I set up my booth in an L shape. Most people are aware that, if you have a tent, there are poles (legs) involved. I haven't found it to be an issue. When at the end of a row of tents, I like to drape sunflower garlands over the poles at the front of my tent.

View attachment 66568 View attachment 66569
Ooo I love the garland idea! Stealing. I like the L shape. That would be another option. What is your experience with people coming in or not? With an L maybe it feels like less of a commitment? It does seem cozier.

What is your experience with people coming in or not? With an L maybe it feels like less of a commitment? It does seem cozier.

I find it's quite welcoming. Unless someone's standing in the middle of the space, I can comfortably have 2-3 people browsing. Any more than that becomes awkward.

I set up my booth in an L shape. Most people are aware that, if you have a tent, there are poles (legs) involved. I haven't found it to be an issue. When at the end of a row of tents, I like to drape sunflower garlands over the poles at the front of my tent.

View attachment 66568 View attachment 66569
I picked up some half priced garlands today, great tip thanks. 👍

Here is the setup I went with - it worked really well. I think there were five other soap vendors at this event but amazingly I still sold soap. People who arrived from the left walking down the path kept saying “oh, THIS is where the smell is coming from!” (Nice smell they meant. I think.) It was cold and windy so the tent sides helped keep it warm. The corner lot was perfect. Lots of traffic.
It took me forever to get ready the day before. I set up my tent and display for practice and with one last minute thing after another I was taking it down with a headlamp at 10:00 pm. Next time will be easier I’m sure.
05C52ABD-3634-4941-99C0-83660CEB3DA2.jpeg

Here is the setup I went with - it worked really well. I think there were five other soap vendors at this event but amazingly I still sold soap. People who arrived from the left walking down the path kept saying “oh, THIS is where the smell is coming from!” (Nice smell they meant. I think.) It was cold and windy so the tent sides helped keep it warm. The corner lot was perfect. Lots of traffic.
It took me forever to get ready the day before. I set up my tent and display for practice and with one last minute thing after another I was taking it down with a headlamp at 10:00 pm. Next time will be easier I’m sure.
View attachment 66693
That looks great!! And it's perfect for a corner!

Gorgeous Display!! I am considering those shelves...did you like how they set up? Were they fairly quick to go up?
Yes they are easy to set up and work well - they are quite big. I have the pieces in a big tote except for the sides which don’t fit. I’ve seen some slightly smaller less expensive ones which look nice too.

This is amazing, I love all the vertical space you created. I’m going to rethink my presentation. I bought one display rack that I just love - I ordered a second one that I hope will get here today. One factor is that my vehicle is a Prius - with the seat folded there is decent space, but not infinite.
So interesting about the cultural differences in hesitancy about entering the booth. When you say “a particular sign” I’m not understanding what you mean- do you mean a sign showing what you made, or with particular text targeting the clientele?
I am glad your market went well for you. Weekly markets are hard work.

LOL, I could not read the sign. It was written in Asian and was some type of invitation to enter my booth space. My elevations on the tables were just cheap boards of different heights that I made covers for from older table cloths. I have to admit my biggest advantage was that we have a truck and I lived in an area where I did not have to unload my truck. If I did I would have never sold in markets or I would have owned a van.

That is a lovely set up. The display racks are very nice. I have some three-tier expandable racks that I set up on draped boxes.

If I were twenty years younger I would consider markets, but I'm not so it's indoor venues with heat and A/C and running water.

I love your set-up! I just watched this video and wonder if you would agree with her points?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsHqGjO6HaA
Thank you! I can’t get that link that work but would love to see it. Happy for any booth advice.
That is a lovely set up. The display racks are very nice. I have some three-tier expandable racks that I set up on draped boxes.

If I were twenty years younger I would consider markets, but I'm not so it's indoor venues with heat and A/C and running water.
Thanks - and, yes it is hard work! I think I am older than you are 😄 so I figure I’ll do this until it’s not workable. Last Saturday I did another event and it was weirdly hot here - in the 90’s. I did a slightly different setup and made it so people could stand in the shade. I did about half as much business as the weekend before.

Yes they are easy to set up and work well - they are quite big. I have the pieces in a big tote except for the sides which don’t fit. I’ve seen some slightly smaller less expensive ones which look nice too.
Nice! Mine are very clunky and don't pack flat (although they do come apart). I told myself I'm sticking with them till next season, but then I'm making a change because lugging them is an enormous pain. There are some laser cut ones I've been seeing as well that look so easy to carry, but I like the look of "real" wood

View attachment 66693
Where did you get your wood stands from? They show off your soap very well. Easy for people to see straight-on. Are they easy to set up? The greenery on your poles is a really nice touch.

Back