Books

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeesieHenry

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to soap making and looking for good books to read. I have just ordered the pure soapmaking book. I want some with great information as well as soap recipes. Thank you x

Hello and welcome. When yo have time please go the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. As for books, they are fine for reading and researching. However, make sure if you do use any recipes in the books to run them through a soap calculator like www.soapcalc.net. There could be errors and you want to avoid that.

Also, I highly recommend youtube: Soaping101 or Brambleberry for starters. They are great with getting started. Also reading many of the topics in the beginners section is truly the best place to start. There is so much information available on this forum, you will learn a lot. And, if you have questions, folks here have a whole wealth of knowledge and science information you won't glean most other places.

If you really want to get into the science of soap making, Kevin Dunn' "Scientific Soapmaking" is highly recommended here. It's on my wish list!

Other than that one, though, I personally haven't found any soap making books I particularly like. They don't really go much into building your own recipes. They are mostly pretty pictures. They will have multiple different recipes but don't discuss the difference between them in anything besides "fluff" words. IMO, your money is pretty spend on molds and fragrance oils. My suggestion would be to hang out here for a while, get a few batches under your belt, and then look at soap making books to see if they offer what you want.

Wow thanks guys for all the information. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading the posts on the beginners page. I can't wait to get started making a few batches of soap for family and friends to try out.

Back